Literally a “synoptic enumeration of sacred annotations,” Rev. Bloomfield’s Recensio Synoptica Annotationis Sacrae is an exegetical, philological, and doctrinal commentary on the interpretation of the Greek New Testament.

Enoch

S.T. Bloomfield: Q:Literally a “synoptic enumeration of sacred annotations,” Rev. Bloomfield’s Recensio Synoptica Annotationis Sacrae is an exegetical, philological, and doctrinal commentary on the interpretation of the Greek New Testament. /Q It is sold by Logos & public domain probably, as on Archive.org, written in 1800s, 19th century.  It would be more convenient to have this in Accordance for me, along with the other commentaries in Accordance system.  This is evidently a predecessor to Alford's Greek Testament, c. 1850.  What's it all about, Alfy?  These commentaries examine carefully the actual Greek words & structure.  I treasure the older commentaries on the original language text, as opposed to modern commentaries which feature platitudes & speculations.  What we need are commentaries by persons who have been immersed in the original languages since childhood, such as you expect to find in 19th century England.  We need commentaries by persons who can remark, "This turn of speech" is found in Polybius' discussion of the Mixed Constitution (2nd century BC), & reminds one of Xenophon's discussion of ochlocracy in the Anabasis," with quotes following.  Then Church Father's interpretations will be succinctly listed.  There may be a little problem in some of these where they assume that scholars know Latin, so a medieval Latin comment is given only in Latin!  However, Alford did an English language edition of his Greek New Testament, which can also be displayed in Logos along with the Greek edition side-by-side.  (Accordance lacks Alford).  Does anybody know of a modern commentary on the NT written on the Greek text by somebody who was immersed in Greek since childhood in the  ancient Greek writers in private (in British "public") school?  So such a commenter knows the Greek corpus from Homer to Jethro, I mean to 2nd century AD. I learned of Bloomfield only recently, but I have found it a great commentary.  But don't expect him to go off on how the Corinthian epistles must be judged by imaginary opponents to Paul & by dividing the epistles into 6 epistles which have been conflated by some unknown ancient scoundrel.

• Like 1

Thanks! I’ll add this to the list to pass on.