Anyone using syntactical searches in Anderson-Forbes?

mbcvida

Just a brief question to determine if anyone is actually using successfully  the AF database in real world studies? I have been looking for some practical illustrations.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mbcvida said:

Just a brief question to determine if anyone is actually using successfully  the AF database in real world studies? I have been looking for some practical illustrations.   

Yes, please. This would be very helpful!

• Like 1

I'm not using it at the moment for searching / word studies.

I find the Holmstedt Syntax more reliable, and less confusing to read the syntax trees. I think the Andersen Forbes database is too difficult to use without proper documentation. I still read it often, though I don't often use it for searching.

The two videos on the database is good, but I think we might need more. The Accordance syntax searching bugs also throw a spanner in the works, because I can't properly learn to use the functions if they don't work in the first place. 

Edited by Anonymous
  • Like 1

I’m familiar with A-F when I used it in Logos 3 years ago. I need to look at the Accordance version and see if the visualization is similar. If I can brush up on it, I’ll see about some training videos, or maybe even we do some type of Hebrew Syntax Webinar in the future once the syntax searching bugs are resolved in 14.

• Like 3

I used it years ago on Logos also but find it daunting on Accordance 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:38 AM, Nathan Parker said:

I’m familiar with A-F when I used it in Logos 3 years ago. I need to look at the Accordance version and see if the visualization is similar. If I can brush up on it, I’ll see about some training videos, or maybe even we do some type of Hebrew Syntax Webinar in the future once the syntax searching bugs are resolved in 14.

That would be excellent thank you so much!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/21/2023 at 12:38 AM, Nathan Parker said:

Any thoughts on this @Nathan Parker, now that you have more time on your hands than you know what to do with? 🤣

Thanks for reminding me! I'll dig into it some more and see about some videos or a webinar on it. Now that I have more time, I plan to double down on training videos, even quick tips that'll be easily-digestible in about a minute or two.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

okay I will ask one final time. Is anyone using the Andersen-Forbes syntax in their studies? Not asking for a demonstration, but simply does anyone use it, over ECTBC or W4HMT?

I have used it a few times for semantic searches--placenames, terms for clothing, etc.

A.D.

• Thanks 1

Now that 14.0.9 is out, we can re-look over the sample searches on here I need brought into Accordance, then I'll have some good material to teach an AF Syntax Webinar. I'd like to teach it this spring or early summer at the latest. 

Those were syntax searches I've used before in another app, so bringing them into Accordance would provide me with some practical applications to train on.