Ping Test Instructions for Accordance Easy Install/Update Module Issues

Dr. Nathan Parker

In today’s Accordance 14 webinar, I mentioned some “ping test instructions” I’d post to the forums for those who have had issues with Easy Install or updating modules.

The instructions are to open Terminal (Mac) or Command Prompt (Windows) and type:

ping accordancebible.com

Then try:

ping accordancefiles1.com

And see if any error messages appear. Those are helpful in case you’ll need to report the issue to our support teams.

Two other steps to try before contacting support:

1. Try signing out and signing into your Accordance account under Easy Install. Sometimes that’ll refresh the connection with the Accordance servers.

2. Users have told us that running Easy Install first, then Check for Updated Modules, seems to correct some connection issues. That is worth a try as well.

For those who are still having connection issues, please post here on the forums, or contact our support teams for further assistance.

C:\Windows\System32>ping accordancefiles1.com

Pinging accordancefiles1.com [3.144.173.65] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 3.144.173.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

image.png.18a7e8945ebd67f6711edf4333c1dd95.png

image.png.b66e5f816cab82bcd7544743a03a7cb3.png

Works except.....

image.png.fa72204b217a241bf745c536c4baa1fa.png

Always downloads, always says installed but is never never installed - stuck without updated content!

image.png

• Like 1

Thanks for this. Let me get you in touch with Tech Support and see what I can find out.

'Error processing online information. There may be a problem with the servers. Please try again later.'  - This can be literal, but that is pretty rare. We recently had that issue where our servers were down for an unscheduled migration. This showed constantly at that time.

It usually means that the username or password is wrong. Many users use their email address as their username because it works on our website. However, our website will accept an email as a username, but the Accordance app will not (unless the username is actually the email address).

It is also common for security software to prevent Accordance from contacting our servers to validate an account. One of the most common instances is in Mac operating systems in Catalina through Ventura, due to added security which will sandbox apps unless they are given permission for 'Full Disk Access' in System Preferences (System Settings in Ventura).

It can also happen in Windows in the built in Windows Defender security. Sometimes the Accordance app needs to be added to the 'Exclusions' List using the ‘Browse’ option and then turn off ‘Real Time Protection’ temporarily until you get a new Accordance Download and install it. Then after Accordance is installed you can turn the real time protection back on again.

The path for the app in Windows is:

C:\Program Files(x86)\Oaktree\Accordance\Accordance.exe

Right now there is a known issue in the Content Updates affecting come computers where they are receiving error messages instead of updates. The programming Team's board says this is corrected in the next update (which we hope to see out soon).

• Like 1

@Gary Raynor

As a work around for now you can go into the Accordance Safe Mode troubleshooting window and select Uninstall Syntax and other special files. Then you can go into Easy Install and download new copies and you will get the updated versions in that download.

If you are on a Windows PC, press and hold your ‘alt’ key ‘immediately after’ you click on the Accordance icon in order to open Accordance Safe Mode.

If you are on Mac, press your ‘option’ key as you open Accordance in order to open Accordance Safe Mode.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 5:02 PM, Nathan Parker said:

In today’s Accordance 14 webinar, I mentioned some “ping test instructions” I’d post to the forums for those who have had issues with Easy Install or updating modules.

The instructions are to open Terminal (Mac) or Command Prompt (Windows) and type:

ping accordancebible.com

Then try:

And see if any error messages appear. Those are helpful in case you’ll need to report the issue to our support teams.

1. Try signing out and signing into your Accordance account under Easy Install. Sometimes that’ll refresh the connection with the Accordance servers.

2. Users have told us that running Easy Install first, then Check for Updated Modules, seems to correct some connection issues. That is worth a try as well.

For those who are still having connection issues, please post here on the forums, or contact our support teams for further assistance.

Before even trying "ping" I tried suggestion 1 above. I logged out using Easy Install. The I tried Easy Install again and was asked to log in with my password. I entered my password, but the dialogue didn't even process it because it was stuck saying "Validating Accordance." The Sign In button was ghosted.

When I tried the "ping" "timed out" error messages resulted.

In case it matters, I logged in with my correct user name and password. 

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Billy32792 said:

@Gary Raynor

As a work around for now you can go into the Accordance Safe Mode troubleshooting window and select Uninstall Syntax and other special files. Then you can go into Easy Install and download new copies and you will get the updated versions in that download.

If you are on a Windows PC, press and hold your ‘alt’ key ‘immediately after’ you click on the Accordance icon in order to open Accordance Safe Mode.

If you are on Mac, press your ‘option’ key as you open Accordance in order to open Accordance Safe Mode.

I tried this - easy install downloaded and installed the syntax (out of date 3.4) modules again and the syntax updates are back square 1 current version 3.4 Available version 4.1,,,,

• Like 1

The offices are likely closed over the weekend, but if you don’t hear something by Monday afternoon, respond back here and I’ll followup with Tech Support.

Yes, the office is closed on the weekends and holidays.

You can contact us directly at: techsupport@accordancebible.com or 407-339-0266 for assistance.

@Gary Raynor,  I will email you the files and instructions to the email address that we have on file for you.

• Like 1

Content update still not working here. Gives me an error message saying there may be a problem with the servers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnABarnett said:

Content update still not working here. Gives me an error message saying there may be a problem with the servers.

If you shift to easy install and then back to content update, does that help?  I’ve seen the error message mentioned here when first checking for content on Windows, and moving to the easy install tab and then back to content updates usually results in the checking for updates working. 

• Like 2

Thanks Lorinda, amazing. That did it. At least there's a workaround for the bug.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 5:02 PM, Nathan Parker said:

ping accordancebible.com

Then try:

My wife uses accordance on a macBook (I use WIndows). I just bought Calvin's Commentaries for her and when I went to install it the same kind of problem happened. I logged out and back in in Easy Install, gave the "server problem" error message. I did the ping tests, the first one went fine, but the "ping accordancefiles1.com" gave errors. Unable to install the new purchase. Any help is appreciated. Our pastor is starting a sermon series on Romans this Sunday and she really wants to use this resource.

Edited to add:

Now it turns out she has not even been able to install the version 14 update. She is still on 12 and I didn't know that. So we can't install Calvin's Commentaries until we can first install the version 14 update. To be continued...

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 1

Hi @JohnABarnett Go ahead and give Accordance Tech Support a call at (407) 339-0266. This issue seems it would be better to resolve via phone than via forums. Tech Support can work with you live.

3 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Hi @JohnABarnett Go ahead and give Accordance Tech Support a call at (407) 339-0266. This issue seems it would be better to resolve via phone than via forums. Tech Support can work with you live.

Will do on Thursday, thanks.

• Like 1

They must be pretty busy. I left a message this morning and haven't heard back yet. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow. On the other hand, like I said, I'm sure they're very busy.

• Like 1

Thanks! If you don’t hear back Friday, let me know, but I’m sure they’ll get to you.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! If you don’t hear back Friday, let me know, but I’m sure they’ll get to you.

Thanks for your help, Nathan, they ended up calling a little bit ago while I was taking my usual afternoon nap (due to chronic health issues). My fault. But they left a voicemail and sent an email with some suggestions. I will get back to them, as it turns out probably on Monday. 

• Like 1

Sounds great. Thanks for the update!

I am able to ping accordancebible.com, but not accordancefiles1.com. The DNS server gives me the IP address, but this address is, of course, not responding. I tried from a server out of my local network and it cannot see that address, either. Sometime last week when I opened Accordance (10.4.5) I had to log in, which I did. Everything seems to work as it did except for Easy Install. I assumed it was an issue running Accordance via wine under Linux but I see it's a problem for other [supported] operating systems as well.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 5:05 PM, JohnABarnett said:

Thanks for your help, Nathan, they ended up calling a little bit ago while I was taking my usual afternoon nap (due to chronic health issues). My fault. But they left a voicemail and sent an email with some suggestions. I will get back to them, as it turns out probably on Monday. 

Were they able to resolve your problem? Was it on their end or your end? Would it be repeatable by others (such as myself)?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John-Thomas Richards said:

Were they able to resolve your problem? Was it on their end or your end? Would it be repeatable by others (such as myself)?

It resolved itself after an update. Can't remember which one.

• Like 1

Probably 14.0.4.