Accordance Training

Dr. Nathan Parker

Where are some areas in which we can improve training for Accordance users and allow Accordance users to get more out of Accordance?

What are some live webinars you’d like to attend in 2023? What particular topics/features should we cover?

What are some training videos you’d like to see in 2023 (I will be posting some short videos on the major features of Accordance 14)? 

The other major player in Bible software releases a short weekly video highlighting a particular feature of their Bible software. In addition to our monthly newsletter, how many of you would benefit from having a weekly email newsletter featuring a short video highlighting a feature in Accordance, as well as a couple of Accordance modules? What features/modules would you wish to see in such a video?

Do you wish to see any “extensive” training videos in Accordance similar to what the other major player’s “authorized trainer” and “learn the Bible software program” are doing?

How many of you watched the Lightning the Lamp podcasts? Should they be resurrected as a monthly podcast?

Thanks!

I would like to see a webinar using the Anderson-Forbes database and tagging in a real-world situation. There is a video previously done that merely tries to describe the module but doesn't really give any help learning how to use it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Where are some areas in which we can improve training for Accordance users and allow Accordance users to get more out of Accordance?

What are some live webinars you’d like to attend in 2023? What particular topics/features should we cover?

What are some training videos you’d like to see in 2023 (I will be posting some short videos on the major features of Accordance 14)? 

The other major player in Bible software releases a short weekly video highlighting a particular feature of their Bible software. In addition to our monthly newsletter, how many of you would benefit from having a weekly email newsletter featuring a short video highlighting a feature in Accordance, as well as a couple of Accordance modules? What features/modules would you wish to see in such a video?

Do you wish to see any “extensive” training videos in Accordance similar to what the other major player’s “authorized trainer” and “learn the Bible software program” are doing?

How many of you watched the Lightning the Lamp podcasts? Should they be resurrected as a monthly podcast?

Thanks!

1. I would really like to see some fairly detailed workshop-format webinars on the syntax modules that have examples of how they can be used, and how they can be put to the best use: the GNT syntax module, the ETCBC module and the Anderson-Forbes module in particular (I don't have the Holmstedt module for the moment).

2. Short videos highlighting a feature of Accordance software. Sure, that would be nice (I wouldn't put it as #1 priority, though)

3. I watched a number of "Lighting the Lamp" videos when I began using Accordance. Very Helpful!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Donald Cobb said:

2. Short videos highlighting a feature of Accordance software. Sure, that would be nice (I wouldn't put it as #1 priority, though)

3. I watched a number of "Lighting the Lamp" videos when I began using Accordance. Very Helpful!

I really like webinars and e-academy because you see people using the software and pick up tips in the way you can use it. 

BUT i find them a bit frustrating as often there is basic functions being explained time and time again in most webinars. So a bit more description about the experience level etc before you book and then for the presenter to stick to where its pitched during the presentation.

i watched a lot of lighting the lamp before i bought accordance (thank you dr j!) and i really like the short very focussed format which is easy to fit in rather than setting an hour+ aside to watch a recording of which there might be a lot of duplication. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ukfraser said:

BUT i find them a bit frustrating as often there is basic functions being explained time and time again in most webinars. So a bit more description about the experience level etc before you book and then for the presenter to stick to where its pitched during the presentation.

I agree 100%.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ukfraser said:

i watched a lot of lighting the lamp before i bought accordance (thank you dr j!) and i really like the short very focussed format which is easy to fit in rather than setting an hour+ aside to watch a recording of which there might be a lot of duplication. 

Same here. I would like to see Lighting the Lamp resurrected.

• Like 3

"...how many of you would benefit from having a weekly email newsletter featuring a short video highlighting a feature in Accordance, as well as a couple of Accordance modules?"

Yes! Great idea!

My preference is to have a lot of Accordance feature videos that are short and to the point.

Also yes to some more extensive videos--perhaps more complicated "Accordance in action" type videos. 

• Like 2

Skip the "webinars" entirely! I much prefer to have short (five-minute) videos on specific topics. If you took the "fluff" out of most webinar videos, you would be down to five minutes anyway.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, David Padfield said:

Skip the "webinars" entirely! I much prefer to have short (five-minute) videos on specific topics. If you took the "fluff" out of most webinar videos, you would be down to five minutes anyway.

+1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Padfield said:

Ya I think I agree.

• Like 4

You’re all going to love the videos I did for the Accordance 14 beta then. 🙂 I'm going to polish them up tonight and send them over the Linda. I also have a personal Rumble channel I may put them on until I get access to Accordance’s official video channels.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

@Nathan Parker,

Construct search, construct search, construct search.

I can search along with examples, but to build my own, please walk through each part and how it functions.

This is, from what I have read, unique only to Accordance. This tool alone should be promoted out front because it is a powerful tool...if it is understood.

Did I mention Construct searching :D?

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
  • Like 5

Construct searching is something I’ve used in the past and need to brush up on for sure and offer some additional training on it.

To be transparent on “uniqueness”, Logos did offer a “Graphical Query Editor” in Libronix years ago, plus I think they’ve brought back some form of graphical search tool. They also do have a graphical front-end for their syntax searches.

However, in my personal opinion (not speaking for the company), the tools Logos has offered on graphical searching have always been more complicated to use than the ones in Accordance (I never did fully master them but was able to pull off some basic/sample searches using them), whereas once I learned the basics of Accordance’s graphical construct searches, I was amazed at how easy it was to perform complex searches. I believe there are still some unique features in our graphical constructs that weren’t in what Logos offered. It’s a tool we should definitely still promote.

I’m not sure if BibleWorks offered any form of graphical searching or not. I never got to get into BibleWorks. I spent all my BibleWorks money on Accordance modules. Glad I did.

• Like 1

I hear you. I was getting close to ending my research for a Bible Tool, and was going to go to Bible Works.

Then the news broke so I went to Accordance.

I have never used the other companies tool, but if it is harder than what I see with Accordance, it is too clunky for me.

But the biggest reason for my request is because I would like to know the INS and outs of the search, at least the simple. I know a little Gk but not enough to make the construct search useful for me.

There are abbreviations and meanings in the construct that I am not sure how to make them work together, or even how to build my own.

Knowing the relation between each of these terms and use will be key for sure in building my own search. 

Thanks for sharing! There are a ton of great recordings on their GoToStage. I still try to watch at least one a week to keep my Accordance training fresh. I’ve enjoyed your webinars, @Abram K-J.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed Lighting the Lamp.

focussed short format was a good way to learn new features to use

Watched again to refer back and refresh 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, David Padfield said:

Webinars are great for people who have the time to participate in the live event, but they're awful to go back and watch later since they usually get derailed and move much too slowly. 

As others have said, short videos that deal with one single feature are great!

Occasional longer videos that show how various features may be used together for a specific purpose would be great also.

Thanks!

• Like 5

Thanks! I plan to do more short videos on specific features.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I’m not sure if BibleWorks offered any form of graphical searching or not. I never got to get into BibleWorks. I spent all my BibleWorks money on Accordance modules. Glad I did.

Just for the record, BibleWorks did have a graphical search module. I found it somewhat formidable to grasp the logic of it, but once you got that, it was solid and gave excellent results. I haven't used it since BW went out of business and it would probably take some work to get back into the logic of it!

• Like 1

Thanks for asking. As @OSchrock mentioned, long videos aren't ideal when wanting to get something to work. It would be best to have a mix of text and video selections.

Here are some suggestions built around a few scenarios.

1. I've just downloaded my shiny new Accordance. Look, it's even on fire. The lecturer said this would be better than the free stuff I can find online.

Help the new user to set up and explore.

- set-up guide (text + video) - I think you already do this.

- link to a page of usage-based videos. E.g. devotional reading, Bible study prep (Bible + linked commentaries, guides, etc), exegesis (incl. suggested layouts)

2. My essay's due in 2 hours and I need to review my arguments about Paul's use of non-'purpose' functions of ἵνα + subjunctive when used near imperatives.

The user should be able to look up "search" somewhere in the app or on the website, go to the "construct search" web page, and find:

- the user manual entry (text) for construct searches

- a link to a 3-minute demo of construct searching

- further links to longer clips that show how to put together complex searches

3. There are all these sales, and I bought a whole bunch of Greek sources. But now what do I do with them?

Set up something that explores stories of how users tailor Accordance to their own contexts. This is different from the new-user videos because this introduces seasoned users of Accordance to the way other seasoned users set up and use their workspaces for the things they commonly do with Accordance.

- have a separate section for these videos

- invite seasoned users of Accordance to share a task they accomplish using Accordance (e.g. sermon prep), and how they set up their workspace to get the job done efficiently

- each video should have a searchable list of tags (or even just carefully-chosen titles) that say what the video is about

- a separate (text) transcript for each video would be nice

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Thanks for asking. As @OSchrock mentioned, long videos aren't ideal when wanting to get something to work. It would be best to have a mix of text and video selections.

Here are some suggestions built around a few scenarios.

1. I've just downloaded my shiny new Accordance. Look, it's even on fire. The lecturer said this would be better than the free stuff I can find online.

Help the new user to set up and explore.

- set-up guide (text + video) - I think you already do this.

- link to a page of usage-based videos. E.g. devotional reading, Bible study prep (Bible + linked commentaries, guides, etc), exegesis (incl. suggested layouts)

2. My essay's due in 2 hours and I need to review my arguments about Paul's use of non-'purpose' functions of ἵνα + subjunctive when used near imperatives.

The user should be able to look up "search" somewhere in the app or on the website, go to the "construct search" web page, and find:

- the user manual entry (text) for construct searches

- a link to a 3-minute demo of construct searching

- further links to longer clips that show how to put together complex searches

3. There are all these sales, and I bought a whole bunch of Greek sources. But now what do I do with them?

Set up something that explores stories of how users tailor Accordance to their own contexts. This is different from the new-user videos because this introduces seasoned users of Accordance to the way other seasoned users set up and use their workspaces for the things they commonly do with Accordance.

- have a separate section for these videos

- invite seasoned users of Accordance to share a task they accomplish using Accordance (e.g. sermon prep), and how they set up their workspace to get the job done efficiently

- each video should have a searchable list of tags (or even just carefully-chosen titles) that say what the video is about

- a separate (text) transcript for each video would be nice

Great ideas Lawrence! Quite possibly a tall order to fill but your post speaks to some very concrete situations. @Nathan Parker, if you're looking for something to fill up your spare time... 😀

• Like 3

Good stuff! As I get into doing more for the company full time (once I get this PhD dissertation across the finish line), I’ll keep all of this feedback in mind and work on it. Implementing a bunch of this stuff would be a lot of fun to tackle and beneficial for our customers.

• Like 2