Main Features in Accordance Mobile

Dr. Nathan Parker

What are some of the top features (two or three, unless you need to list more!) that are currently in Accordance Desktop but not in Accordance Mobile, but that would improve your Bible study and allow you to do more in Accordance than you’re using it today? Are there any features not in Accordance Desktop or Mobile but that should be in Accordance Mobile?

Some of you already listed them in a previous forum thread. For those who have, feel free to link to that thread here. I’ll be sharing the results with our programmers.

Thanks!

There was another thread on here where many of you added your feedback on what desktop features you want to see brought to mobile. Can someone link to it here? I’m trying to dig it up.

I would like to use the syntax modules on Mobile too.

The search features on mobile are not easy when searching for a lexeme plus letters plus tagging, especially with complicated searches where I want to type Hebrew and English in the search. If I remember correctly it messes up the order of the characters when using the above combinations. It should also bring up the possible lexemes whlie typing Hebrew / Greek or transliteration (like 'chesed') in the search input, as with desktop.

A construct search would also be great on mobile, even if it is simpler than desktop.

Those are my main ideas...

Shalom

• Like 1

1. Research (ability to search multiple resources at a time)

2. info pane

3. Modules (atlas, timeline, parallels)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for chiming in!

• Like 1

Request

Update the Library functionality to make it easy to create and manage reading sets.

This would be like the Desktop's multi-tab feature, but optimised for the small screens of mobile devices.

Reason

The Desktop's feature set recognises that users use different resources in different contexts. Devotional reading, casual reading, exegesis, church history study and preaching etc have different requirements. Sometimes, original language texts need to be prioritised; other times, user notes are the most important. Some resources critical in one context are irrelevant in another. It would be nice to be able to switch contexts easily in the Library on the Mobile version.

Usage

1. Open multiple resources one at a time (e.g. NIV, ESV, UBS5, BDAG, accidentally open Louis Segond). These appear in "Recently Opened" in the Library, as is currently the case.

2. Edit the list in "Recently Opened" (e.g. remove Louis Segond, move UBS5 to the top).

3. Save and name the list in a "User Set category" (e.g. "Greek Practice", "Exegesis", "Church History", "Preaching", etc).

4. Pick a set to replace the current set (but allow undo, or save the current set as the "Default" User Set).

5. Manage the User Sets (duplicate a set, rename a set, delete a set, re-order the list of sets, etc).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

There was another thread on here where many of you added your feedback on what desktop features you want to see brought to mobile. Can someone link to it here? I’m trying to dig it up.

This may be what you're looking for, Nathan:

At any rate, I for one would reiterate what I said in that post.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 1

That's the one. Thanks!

• Like 1

In the Android mobile app, I'd love support for combined texts (not sure if this is already available in iOS). I primarily use mobile during sermons to help reinforce my Greek/Hebrew with an English text in the primary view and an original language text in the secondary view. However, without combined text support, I have to manually change the text in the secondary view whenever the preacher switches between OT and NT.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JonathanHuber said:

1. Research (ability to search multiple resources at a time)

2. info pane

3. Modules (atlas, timeline, parallels)

These are probably near my top three

BUT

4) i really dont get on with accordance notes so would quite like to see something like stacks where i can copy and paste stuff i find useful when researching, I currently use the ios notes as a dumping ground.
5) i would also like to  see some more analytics like we have in the full fat version, 

6) and i would like tabs as we have in the full fat version. Im on a 9.7" ipad so dont really have space for more panes so tabs are great for me. I find the tabs in safari particularly useful.

7) and combined texts, like the wbs commentaries or jsb and jant (and hopefully one day the jaa which i would love to see in accordance!)

sorry, that is 7 but im about 99% using my ipad; 0.9999999% on iphone and havent used my mbp for accordance for several months now. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3

1) Multiple panes, open windows to easily and quickly cycle through

2) Parallels modules

3) Research (greek, hebrew, English)

• Like 2

Great feedback. Thanks!

I would add that it should be possible to edit "user tools" on the mobile app.

• Like 1

Great feedback! That would be useful.

It has been said before.
i find accordance on an iphone is quite adequate as an e-reader for following the readings in a service or just reading while waiting in a coffee shop or car park. Even with the larger screens i am not sure i would use it more.

so i wonder if all these features listed above  that we are after are specifically for the iPadOS and while its yet another platform for accordance to maintain, if its easier to split sooner and even make it a paid app, that may be worth considering now rather than soldier on and then having to split it later. No one can see how apple will develop it in the future but as we now have two very distinct os, it might make sense. 

not sure if this will have long term hardware implications though, like only on m1 or higher 🤔

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Research

• Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 11:34 AM, ukfraser said:

These are probably near my top three

BUT

4) i really dont get on with accordance notes so would quite like to see something like stacks where i can copy and paste stuff i find useful when researching, I currently use the ios notes as a dumping ground.
5) i would also like to  see some more analytics like we have in the full fat version, 

6) and i would like tabs as we have in the full fat version. Im on a 9.7" ipad so dont really have space for more panes so tabs are great for me. I find the tabs in safari particularly useful.

7) and combined texts, like the wbs commentaries or jsb and jant (and hopefully one day the jaa which i would love to see in accordance!)

sorry, that is 7 but im about 99% using my ipad; 0.9999999% on iphone and havent used my mbp for accordance for several months now. 

all of these inc Jonathan's orig 3

Please make the iPad more than an e-reader - I have the 12.9 one and it is really sad

also allow colour/shading customisations - you can override the built in ones desktop but not iPad

have an option to utilise the magic keyboard so moving the cursor over a word instigated instant details - I don't want to always touch the screen (I know, I know)

have option to have instant details always present like desktops

and like nearly everyone has said please can we have research, stakes, timeline, atlas, parallels and something like the Andersen-Forbes database and Targums word map

oh and something that allows the apple pencil to do interesting things....

if the underlying code base of desktop being rewritten does that mean we can have the full version someday?

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks for the feedback!

Good luck in making sense of it!

God bless

;o) 

• Like 2

like many of the other respondents here - happy with the phone iOS - 

but on the ipad (apologies for 4 and not 3)

- more than 2 panes at once

- analytics

- research (Greek and Hebrew)

- construct search

• Like 4

Research is a big one I’d love to see in Mobile. I’d be really tempted to take a trip up to my state’s highest mountain and video tape myself demoing that I can Research my Accordance library anywhere.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

video tape myself demoing that I can Research my Accordance library anywhere.

Antarctica would be more impressive from a marketing perspective!

;o) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

Antarctica would be more impressive from a marketing perspective!

My other work company wants to add a weather station there, so I guess I could signup to be the installer for it, then demo Accordance Mobile while I’m there. 🙂 

• Haha 1