Error? Mounce Greek Dictionary

alnmartinez777

I was looking for the word kletos in Mounce greek Dictionary one of the result is Mat 20:16. I believe there is a mistake because there is no KLETOS in that verse.

I am new using accordance so I might have done something crazy.  

image.png.78cc925bb15ed25692a8e798a774ef15.png

image.png

I think you may be reading things wrong  , all my dictionaries agree with Mounce. In Matt 20:16 the word for called is Kletos. I hope I am not misunderstanding your question. The GNT also translates called as Kletos.

image.thumb.png.b181b2f6bb806fec6f65d79558a4fb8a.png

@alnmartinez777

As you may know, academics scour the many copies of the ancient manuscripts we have of the Bible, comparing variant texts and weighing them to see which best reflect the autographs (the 'originals' penned by the authors). For the New Testament, as far as I know, the latest compilation is found in NA28 and UBS5, both of which share the same Greek words but differ in their apparatus (discussions and records regarding some of the variant readings that were considered).

The UBS5 apparatus reports κλητός appearing twice in a variant of Matthew 20:16. However, the manuscripts which the compilers were most confident reflect the autographs don't include the word. One rule of thumb is that shorter readings tend to be preferred, with idea that when people try to clarify a text, they usually add words rather than delete them.

image.png.132762a38b8d5eaafecf2d396b92ba76.png

Edited by Lawrence

This is curious. Yes, kletos is a variant. But from what I can tell this dictionary came out (at least is copyrighted) in 2011. According to the introduction, it uses the "standard text" which would at that time have been NA27/UBS4 (same greek text, different apparatus and the features). Neither of those texts use kletos in Mt 20.16, though both cite the variant. However, I can't imagine that this dictionary lists variants under the headwords.