Cross-references for Maccabees

Geoffrey Farrar

Hi,  I just wondered if someone might be able to give me some advice about finding cross-references for my PhD. What's the best tool out there for finding an exhaustive list of references / allusions to the books of the Maccabees in the New Testament? The ones I have seem to be good for starting in the New Testament and working backwards but I want it the other way round really and to start with the books of the Maccabees and work forwards - if you understand me! Any help or advice much appreciated. 

Just a quick thought: 

COMPREHENSIVE CROSSREFS The Comprehensive Bible Cross References (Comprehensive Crossrefs) edited by T. E. Clontz & J. Clontz Cross references from the Bible to the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, Josephus, Nag Hammadi Library, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, etc. Copyright © Cornerstone Publications 2011. All rights reserved. Used by permission. Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 2.5

Here is a link: https://www.accordancebible.com/product/comprehensive-bible-cross-references/ 

• Like 1

And dont forget there is a 25% off store wide voucher valid to 2nd jan. 

@Geoffrey Farrar, Tim suggested a good resource (a quick search reveals 60 mentions of 1 or 2 Maccabees in the Scripture section of the module and another 26 in in the Topical Note Index) and is a good place to start. I would suggest, however, at your level, and wanting "an exhaustive list", that you familiarize yourself with the infer command for conducting your own original research. Here is a link on a discussion of the INFER command to help get your started (note the linked paper which will give you an idea of the usefulness of the command): 

8 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Just a quick thought: 

COMPREHENSIVE CROSSREFS The Comprehensive Bible Cross References (Comprehensive Crossrefs) edited by T. E. Clontz & J. Clontz Cross references from the Bible to the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, Josephus, Nag Hammadi Library, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, etc. Copyright © Cornerstone Publications 2011. All rights reserved. Used by permission. Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 2.5

Here is a link: https://www.accordancebible.com/product/comprehensive-bible-cross-references/ 

Thanks for pointing this out — I had somehow overlooked this resource (but will be purchasing it in a few minutes).

It probably has a lot of overlap, but the NA28 apparatus is another place to check: accord://search/NA28_Apparatus;Scripture?1Mac;_2Mac

There are around 60 verses cited in it too.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the help - especially so promptly over the NY weekend. That is exactly what I need. You have all been so helpful. All the very best for 2023.

• Like 2