Lost Notes

Gary Monks

Hello everyone.

Can anyone please help me?

While working in my Notes library ........Accordance crashed , and deleted two note files . As I write Accordance is randomly updating , I  cannot close the windows , even the 'STOP' window.

There were literally hours of work on those notes ...........is there any way to recover them??

I'm sorry for the loss, and I'm new to Accordance. Version 14 has so many non-functional features that I returned to version 13. I'm prepared to wait until Spring or Summer to try it out again. The good thing is when uninstalling v14, they ask if you want to retain all content. When v13 was installed it looked like nothing changed, all texts were open in the last used spot.

2 hours ago, Gary Monks said:

While working in my Notes library ........Accordance crashed , and deleted two note files . As I write Accordance is randomly updating , I  cannot close the windows , even the 'STOP' window.

@Gary: Shut down Accordance via Task Manager (Right-click on Status Bar or press CTRL-ALT-DEL). In Task Manager, select 'Accordance Bible Study Software' and press End Task.

Restart computer. (optional, to reset Windows system files)

Restart Accordance in Accordance Safe Mode (After clicking on Accordance icon, press and hold down Windows ALT key.)

Go into Edit/Preferences and turn off automatic updates. 

Close Accordance and try restarting in normal mode.

This won't recover lost notes, but it should stop recurring updates.

There was a problem in v.14 with User Notes. I don't know if this has been resolved yet. 

Edited by Gordon Lyons

1 hour ago, Gordon Lyons said:

@Gary: Shut down Accordance via Task Manager (Right-click on Status Bar or press CTRL-ALT-DEL). In Task Manager, select 'Accordance Bible Study Software' and press End Task.

Restart computer. (optional, to reset Windows system files)

Restart Accordance in Accordance Safe Mode (After clicking on Accordance icon, press and hold down Windows ALT key.)

Go into Edit/Preferences and turn off automatic updates. 

Close Accordance and try restarting in normal mode.

This won't recover lost notes, but it should stop recurring updates.

There was a problem in v.14 with User Notes. I don't know if this has been resolved yet. 

Thank you Gordon..........I was able to clear the update and 'Stop' window. There were somw hitches , but after Task Manager / End Task and a restart I was able to edit preferences succesfully.....Thanks for your help..........Still seeking an answer to restoring the lost notes ..........thanks again !

• Like 1

@Gary Monks

The notes files are in "Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes" in my Windows 11 installation.

It seems that User Tools are backed up in "Documents/Accordance Files/Old User Tools" upon conversion to permanent tools, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be automatic backups for user notes.

If you have backed up your Documents folder yourself, you can retrieve the corresponding copy from your backups. Otherwise, as a last-ditch attempt at salvage:

1. Make a copy of your notes file from "Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes". Name the copy something like "salvage".

2. Right-click on "salvage" and select "Open with", and then "WordPad". If "WordPad" isn't listed as an option, click "Choose another app" and find it there. You can also use "Notepad", though I find "Wordpad" a little better formatting-wise.

3. Hopefully, you have recognisable blocks of text scattered about. Copy what you want to keep.

All the best with your salvage attempts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawrence said:

@Gary Monks

The notes files are in "Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes" in my Windows 11 installation.

It seems that User Tools are backed up in "Documents/Accordance Files/Old User Tools" upon conversion to permanent tools, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be automatic backups for user notes.

If you have backed up your Documents folder yourself, you can retrieve the corresponding copy from your backups. Otherwise, as a last-ditch attempt at salvage:

1. Make a copy of your notes file from "Documents/Accordance Files/User Notes". Name the copy something like "salvage".

2. Right-click on "salvage" and select "Open with", and then "WordPad". If "WordPad" isn't listed as an option, click "Choose another app" and find it there. You can also use "Notepad", though I find "Wordpad" a little better formatting-wise.

3. Hopefully, you have recognisable blocks of text scattered about. Copy what you want to keep.

All the best with your salvage attempts.

Dear Lawrence..........I cannot thank you enough !!.....following your instructions I have been able to retrieve the notes...........they are a bit 'out' format wise , but I can re do that , the point is they are all there. Thanks again.......have a great day

• Like 1

Thank you for this exchange, gentlemen. This is most useful information. So, is it possible to "merge" notes from two computers?

@Gary Monks I'm very happy for you. Hearing that you've been able to salvage your notes has made my day.

Once you get your notes back in shape, consider copying the whole "Documents/Accordance Files" folder to a couple of external locations every so often. You can keep one copy on a USB drive, and a second copy in the cloud.

Edited by Lawrence

@Lawrence, I have "Sample notes v2.amynotes" in the Documents > Accordance Files > User Notes folder. A double click opens the file in Accordance 13 Workspace and is fully formatted. Thanks for the safety tip, Windows has many obscure directories.

Edited by cim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

@Gary Monks I'm very happy for you. Hearing that you've been able to salvage your notes has made my day.

Once you get your notes back in shape, consider copying the whole "Documents/Accordance Files" folder to a couple of external locations every so often. You can keep one copy on a USB drive, and a second copy in the cloud.

Many Thanks my friend

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Marrandette said:

Thank you for this exchange, gentlemen. This is most useful information. So, is it possible to "merge" notes from two computers?

It's possible, but from what I can see it's very fiddly to manipulate a ".amynotes" file directly without corrupting it.

You're better off just having both open and manually transcribing one into the other.

As a bonus, you get to review the material in the process. :)

• Like 1