Copy Scriptures to Obsidian (Markdown)

rayvfr

I think a lot of us are using markdown editors to write now. I use Obsidian. Others are probably using Bear, Ulysseus, IAWriter, etc. Would be great to have the insert to straight into these (especially Obsidian since it’s free!). Thanks. 

• Like 4

@rayvfrAs I mentioned in the other topic you asked this question, if the global Insert Verses function does not work in Obsidian, the problem that Obsidian does not fully implement the corresponding macOS services. You should take it up with their developers.

I tried Get Verses for the first time to see if it would work with Obsidian, and it did, once I granted Accordance the requested permission to control my computer (with accessibility features). It’s Command-Option-A unless you change the shortcut in Accordance settings.

macOS 12.6.1, Accordance 13.3.4, Obsidian 1.0.3 (Installer 0.15.9)

Edited by jlm
Add version numbers

• 5 months later...

Thanks Jim. I checked and Accordance has permission to control. But still no option to insert into Obsidian. Works for Pages and Word, but not Obsidian.

image.png.c01580e2364c5a10409c01331f58c3b1.png

image.thumb.png.615e2441b01bab44f24f0f3086d68df8.png

Here I am in Obsidian as the active editor, and it still recognizes Pages.

image.thumb.png.ddc960ce997a6a1748bc5693f50fe9ca.png

I spend most my life using Ulysses and Obsidian so I would dearly love this... I get it about the issue being with Obsidian - the Ulysses team are uber responsive and am sure would be delighted to work with Accordance

I’ll add this to our feature requests list. Thanks!

• Like 2

Also, y'all, if you are using a text editor that is slow to some of these OSX implementations, you can always use a custom Shortcut that can use the clipboard and Insert Verses even if the application does not support it natively.

Good advice. Thanks!

On 12/25/2022 at 3:07 AM, jlm said:

I tried Get Verses for the first time to see if it would work with Obsidian, and it did, once I granted Accordance the requested permission to control my computer (with accessibility features). It’s Command-Option-A unless you change the shortcut in Accordance settings.

macOS 12.6.1, Accordance 13.3.4, Obsidian 1.0.3 (Installer 0.15.9)

I’m not sure exactly what I did five months ago, but probably since I didn’t have Pages or Word open, the button to insert didn’t appear, and so I didn’t even realize it existed. So I probably just pushed the Copy to Clipboard button, pasted, and thought that was it.

Obsidian is built with Electron, which has the advantage that they can provide nearly the same GUI on multiple platforms (even iOS), but it tends not to support platform-specific things, like what Insert Verses uses to insert text into programs like Pages.

@Nathan Parker I don't think there's really an Accordance feature request here, since what has to change is in Obsidian.

One solution is a shortcut like Joe Weaks suggested.

You could ask Obsidian to implement the necessary support. In 2021, they replied to a similar request that it wasn't going to happen any time soon.

There is a third-party app that adds Shortcuts support for Obsidian, but it doesn't have an action to insert text where the cursor is, so that's probably not much help.

The best solution I can think of at present is to re-implement the Insert Verses interface as an Obsidian plugin. This requires some programming skills, but parts of it could be copied from existing plugins and scripts. While Obsidian does not respond to AppleScript, it can use AppleScript to talk to another program via the run-applescript npm package. So a plugin could be written to (1) use AppleScript to get a list of Texts from Accordance, (2) present those choices in a dialog within Obsidian that asks for the reference to insert, (3) use AppleScript again to get the text for the references, and (4) insert that text into the active editor in Obsidian. Or it could have a completely different user interface, for example, type a reference in Obsidian, select it, and invoke the plugin, which would then just use the selection to get verses from Accordance and replace the selection. There is a plugin called DEVONLink that could be a good example of running AppleScript from Obsidian.

Edit:

What this post suggests is much easier than writing a plugin for Obsidian:

Edited by jlm

Thanks for the update. I added it to my list in case down the road, it's something that we could chat with Obsidian about. In the meantime, any Accordance users who want to reach out to Obsidian on this, that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 2:53 AM, rayvfr said:

I think a lot of us are using markdown editors to write now. I use Obsidian. Others are probably using Bear, Ulysseus, IAWriter, etc. Would be great to have the insert to straight into these (especially Obsidian since it’s free!). Thanks. 

You may want to checkout https://logseq.com/ as an alternative to Obsidian. It is a local markdown outliner/block based that allows Accordance get verses 

Thanks for this!