User Tool types?

miketisdell

Is there any documentation regarding the User Tool types in Accordance 14?

I would particularly like information regarding the type "Commentary" i.e. can I use this to tie it to specific verses in the biblical text (beyond normal links)? Can I use these tools in an add parallel window with a biblical text?

Edited by miketisdell

I don't think the version 14 help has been released, but these are the basics of the new User Tool types as I understand them. Keep in mind that there are bugs in this new functionality, and they're probably not high priority to fix, because far more users will be impacted by bugs in other functionality.

Apart from the General type, each of the others adds one field type, namely, that by which the resulting Tool will be indexed. For a Commentary User Tool, this is the Reference field. When the Commentary User Tool is converted, it becomes a regular Reference Tool, which can be added as a parallel and will synchronize with a Text based on the verse references that were tagged with the Reference field in the User Tool. The User Tool basically just serves as a way to prepare the text for the Tool that will be produced by conversion: it can't be added as a parallel. It would be better if the Commentary User Tool could be used as a parallel, but that's not currently possible.

These extra fields are meant to be in titles (with a T, 1, 2, 3, etc. in the margin), but the Reference cannot be the whole title (at present). It's assumed the title will have something like a pericope name together with the Reference. Since I didn't have that for the commentary I wanted to import, I made titles like "Commentary on Mark 1:1".

I haven't tried to make a lexicon or dictionary, but in those cases I think the titles become Entry fields if they're in the right language for the lexicon.

When I now try to make a User Tool, 14.0.3 crashes, so he above is based on memory and experience testing. I think the way you make a Reference is just to put a Scripture link in a title, though as I said above, it can't be the whole title.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jlm said:

I don't think the version 14 help has been released, but these are the basics of the new User Tool types as I understand them. Keep in mind that there are bugs in this new functionality, and they're probably not high priority to fix, because far more users will be impacted by bugs in other functionality.

Apart from the General type, each of the others adds one field type, namely, that by which the resulting Tool will be indexed. For a Commentary User Tool, this is the Reference field. When the Commentary User Tool is converted, it becomes a regular Reference Tool, which can be added as a parallel and will synchronize with a Text based on the verse references that were tagged with the Reference field in the User Tool. The User Tool basically just serves as a way to prepare the text for the Tool that will be produced by conversion: it can't be added as a parallel. It would be better if the Commentary User Tool could be used as a parallel, but that's not currently possible.

These extra fields are meant to be in titles (with a T, 1, 2, 3, etc. in the margin), but the Reference cannot be the whole title (at present). It's assumed the title will have something like a pericope name together with the Reference. Since I didn't have that for the commentary I wanted to import, I made titles like "Commentary on Mark 1:1".

I haven't tried to make a lexicon or dictionary, but in those cases I think the titles become Entry fields if they're in the right language for the lexicon.

When I now try to make a User Tool, 14.0.3 crashes, so he above is based on memory and experience testing. I think the way you make a Reference is just to put a Scripture link in a title, though as I said above, it can't be the whole title.

I made several attempts to create a tool that can be used as a commentary, but no attempt so far works i.e. if I make the tool permanent, it does show up as a commentary, but scrolling the tool does not keep it aligned with text in the same tab like a normal commentary would do. 

I have tried making each scripture reference a title

I have tried making each scripture reference a scripture link

I have tried make in scripture a reference link (type Scripture reference)

I tried making a linked scripture a title (but like version 13 this is not allowed)

I did discovery a new bug in version 14 that has the potential to cause lost work. Posting this a new topic. 

Accordance, is there any documentation on this tool choice!!!

• Like 1

@miketisdell

(Edit: I see that you've already tried scripture reference links. Please ignore this post - I'd delete it, but there's no 'delete' option for regular users in the forums.)

I suspect this is done by creating links to Bible references (not just titles), but I can't test it properly because doing "update" on a user tool with links crashes Accordance 14.0.3 on my PC.

The recent Accordance webinar on user tools talked about the use of titles. They end up in the 'table of contents' button (top left corner, beside the 'Verse x of y' slider), but don't seem to do much more than that.

In case you missed it, here's the webinar page:

<https://www.gotostage.com/channel/2b99bda9c3ed4b7382a55737a7d54b46/recording/0f60edab7d864de08ce23c342e8f94c6/watch?source=CHANNEL>.

Edited by Lawrence

On 12/23/2022 at 6:13 AM, Lawrence said:

@miketisdell

(Edit: I see that you've already tried scripture reference links. Please ignore this post - I'd delete it, but there's no 'delete' option for regular users in the forums.)

I suspect this is done by creating links to Bible references (not just titles), but I can't test it properly because doing "update" on a user tool with links crashes Accordance 14.0.3 on my PC.

The recent Accordance webinar on user tools talked about the use of titles. They end up in the 'table of contents' button (top left corner, beside the 'Verse x of y' slider), but don't seem to do much more than that.

In case you missed it, here's the webinar page:

<https://www.gotostage.com/channel/2b99bda9c3ed4b7382a55737a7d54b46/recording/0f60edab7d864de08ce23c342e8f94c6/watch?source=CHANNEL>.

I had watched this recording, but it didn't resolve the issue.