Wrong tagging in 1Sam. 17:39 (נִסָּה) in HMT

Elijah

For נִסָּה֒ / נִסִּ֑יתִי BHS has pi'el, but HMT has nif'al.

1Sam. 17:39 וַיַּחְגֹּ֣ר דָּוִ֣ד אֶת־חַ֠רְבּוֹ מֵעַ֨ל לְמַדָּ֜יו וַיֹּ֣אֶל לָלֶכֶת֮ כִּ֣י לֹֽא־נִסָּה֒ וַיֹּ֨אמֶר דָּוִ֜ד אֶל־שָׁא֗וּל לֹ֥א אוּכַ֛ל לָלֶ֥כֶת בָּאֵ֖לֶּה כִּ֣י לֹ֣א נִסִּ֑יתִי וַיְסִרֵ֥ם דָּוִ֖ד מֵעָלָֽיו׃

The root and parsing of both verb forms is identical, but the translation of Niphal (passive - “to be trained”) differs from Piel (active - “to train or test”). Either rendering is possible. 

Edited by Ron Webber

In the Gesenius dictionary I typically use, there is no entry for nif'al (also not in others like BDB Complete, TLOT, and the BBH Grammar). So that's what let me to assume there might be an error. In the lexicon modules I have, I only could find a nif'al entry in the Concise Dict. of Classical Hebrew:

Ni. 2 Pf. נִסָּה, נִסִּ֫יתִי1. be trained (to wear armour) 1 S 1739.

I don't have HALOT, so it would be interesting to know if there is an entry there or not.

HALOT lists this passage under both pi'el and niph'al. Here's what it says for the niph'al:

nif: (:: trad. piel): pf. ‏נִסָּה‎, ‏נִסְּתָה‎, ‏נִסִּיתִי: to venture, with inf. Dt 434 2856 (Donner-R. Inschriften 1, 193:9), 1S 1739 Jb 42 (Budde GHK 2/12:17f; Horst BK 16/1:60, 66, alt. rd. נשׂא qal or nif.). †

And for the pi'el: 

—2. to give experience, train (Greenberg JBL Heb. 79:273ff; Eissfeldt Kl. Schr. 3:356f; Zobel BZAW 95 (1965):30) with בְּ by means of: Ex 2020 Ju 222 31.4 2C 91, to test and become used to something (armour) 1S 1739a.b

• Like 1

I also recommend consulting The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew

Pi. train for military action, give experience of war,✱ unless §1, <SUBJ> Y. Ex 1525 Dt 338 Jg 31. <OBJ> Israel Jg 31, עַם people Ex 1525, אִישׁ man Dt 338. <PREP> בְּ of place, in, + Massah Dt 338; of agent, by (means of), with, + גּוֹי nation Jg 31. <COLL> נסה pi. + adverb, שָׁם there Ex 1525.

Ni. 2 Pf. נִסָּה, נִסִּ֫יתִי (see also §§2a, 2b)—be trained , to wear armour, <SUBJ> David 1 S 1739.39.✱

DCH, s.v. “נסה,” 5:698.

The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew (DCH) David J. A. Clines, Editor © 2011 Dictionary of Classical Hebrew Ltd. Used by permission. Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 3.5  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ron Webber said:

I also recommend consulting The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew

Pi. train for military action, give experience of war,✱ unless §1, <SUBJ> Y. Ex 1525 Dt 338 Jg 31. <OBJ> Israel Jg 31, עַם people Ex 1525, אִישׁ man Dt 338. <PREP> בְּ of place, in, + Massah Dt 338; of agent, by (means of), with, + גּוֹי nation Jg 31. <COLL> נסה pi. + adverb, שָׁם there Ex 1525.

Ni. 2 Pf. נִסָּה, נִסִּ֫יתִי (see also §§2a, 2b)—be trained , to wear armour, <SUBJ> David 1 S 1739.39.✱

DCH, s.v. “נסה,” 5:698.

The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew (DCH) David J. A. Clines, Editor © 2011 Dictionary of Classical Hebrew Ltd. Used by permission. Accordance edition hypertexted and formatted by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 3.5  

Agreed. DCH is actually my go-to lexicon for the Hebrew. It's more exhaustive in listing verse references in the Hebrew Bible and goes more in-depth than HALOT. It also takes into account Ben Sira and Qumran mss. The fact that it is a Hebrew  lexicon means that the Aramaic sections aren't covered, unfortunately, unlike HALOT. The two compliment each other well and it's well worth having both. 

• Like 1