Text-to-Speech (Original Languages)

jarcher

I'm unable to use the text to speech functions of Accordance in Hebrew or Greek. I'm assuming I need to install something?

image.thumb.png.c014a0235290e5c788c3b9b4e194533d.pnging

Hi @jarcher,

You seem to use both Mac and Windows, which platform are you trying to use the speech? Personally, I have always found the speech to be a little buggy, and I think it is because the Mac is overriding it, I think? If I click on a word and press the Accordance "speech" nothing happens, but if I press my computer shortcut for the Mac to speak, it works. So on a Mac, I would say start by making sure the Greek and Hebrew languages are installed.

Kristin

This is on macOS.

Any idea how I install the languages?

Hi @jarcher,

I do know how, but I am not 100% sure what Mac calls it, since my system is in a different language, and I know from experience that Mac does not use complete equivalents in translation.

I can tell you the basic idea though, and provide a screenshot. I will also mention that I do NOT see Greek and Hebrew in my dropdown, but my computer does read Greek and Hebrew if I press my shortcut. So maybe I had installed it at one time on an old computer or something?

Anyway:

1) Open System Preferences
2) Click on "disability" or something like that, which I have circled
3) Scroll down to "spoken content" I think, but it is the thing I have an arrow at

4) At the top of this spoken content, click on the dropdown box at the top where it says the voice name. You need to install Alex if you want it, so I think yours will say Siri or something if you have never messed with this before.

5) At the end of the dropdown you can "add" or "change" or something, and if you click on that, it gives you options and you can install all sorts of interesting impractical languages.

Be mindful that there is a "sample" by most of them, so you can hear it before you actually download it.

I am not sure if this will help, but I think it is a good place to start. I hope this helps some.

Kristin

544157364_Bildschirmfoto2022-12-14um09_11_01.thumb.png.0500269c8650c277d7ef6c84aa27617c.png

• Like 1

It is entirely the Mac OS that allows Accordance to read the Greek and Hebrew text when selected.  I don't know that Windows OS even has this feature.

• Like 1

Thanks! Yep, that's how I installed the Greek and Hebrew languages. Still greyed out in the Preferences window.

8 minutes ago, jarcher said:

Thanks! Yep, that's how I installed the Greek and Hebrew languages. Still greyed out in the Preferences window.

Jarcher,  If you are running Ventura as your MacOS, this may be the issue.  I have Ventura 13.1 and it broke the ability for Accordance to use speech for Greek and Hebrew.  If I'm not mistaken, this has already been reported to Accordance developers, so it will be one of the things which Ventura broke but we will fix.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Carruth said:

Jarcher,  If you are running Ventura as your MacOS, this may be the issue.  I have Ventura 13.1 and it broke the ability for Accordance to use speech for Greek and Hebrew.  If I'm not mistaken, this has already been reported to Accordance developers, so it will be one of the things which Ventura broke but we will fix.

Ah! Ok, yep, I'm on Ventura.

3 minutes ago, Steve Carruth said:

I have Ventura 13.1 and it broke the ability for Accordance to use speech for Greek and Hebrew.

@Steve Carruth,
Did Ventura break the entire text to speech function, or just how it interacts with Accordance?

It is entirely broken for me, with the exception of English.

Thank you for letting me know, @jarcher. I am still on the old OS (apparently, I frankly did not know Ventura was out), but given this thread I think I will stay where I am.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just tried to use the text-to-speech function in two different Hebrew texts (14.0.4/macOS Ventura 13.2.1), and it doesn't work at all. As far as I know, it worked fine in 13.x. Is there a fix coming for this? 

• Like 1

I’ll look into this. Thanks for sharing!

This has been reported, but I don’t have a definite ETA of what update will resolve it.

I am also unable to set the Greek and Hebrew voices in Accordance preferences despite having installed Greek and Hebrew voices through System Settings -> Spoken Content -> System Voice -> Manage Voices

It is a bug in Ventura that Accordance will need to address in an update.