math problem matching keys with lex

Kristin

I have been trying to get the numbers to match for hours and feel like I am going to lose it. I am trying to figure out the verses where the word "Israel or "Israel's" occurs in the OT where the Hebrew or Aramaic is not there. Or visa versa, I just need the numbers to match.

The word Israel* occurs 2525 times in the OT.

The Hebrew occurs 2508 times.

The Aramaic occurs 8 times.

Hebrew Israelite occurs 5x

2508 + 8 = 2516

2508 + 8 + 5 = 2521

Do I need to do this by hand to match it? :( Can anyone else get it to match? I don't care if the word occurs more often in English or in the original languages, I just need to know where the discrepancies are.

This question is this issue, but also other words (Judah is another similar issue, where I KNOW the word occurs in English when the Hebrew is not there, but I can't get the numbers to match. I feel like there is something obvious I am missing and would appreciate any help anyone is able to provide.

Kristin

@Kristin Try doing a search comparison. I don't read Hebrew or Aramaic, but it seems to work with Greek.

1. Open your English Bible, do the search and then rename the tab "English".

2. Open your Hebrew Bible, do the search and then rename the tab "Hebrew".

3. Open another tab (I think you can use any Bible to do this). Search for the following:

• [CONTENTS English] <not> [CONTENTS Hebrew]

This should narrow down the search sufficiently to check the remaining entries manually. Alternatively, you can tweak the search to get Accordance to do it for you.

Hi @Lawrence,

Thank you for your detailed answer. I use the "contents" formula all the time but could not get it to match. I "think" I figured out the problem.

Since I wanted to capture the English "Israel" or "Israel's" for the English I did "Israel*" and compared it against the English.

Israel* produces 2525 hits, and the Hebrew is 2508. If you do the contexts like you describe (and I agree, that is how to do it), it pulls 10 verses, most of which are Aramaic.

So then if I add the Aramaic tab adding 8, so now that is 2525 + 8 = 2533

So 2533 Hebrew or Aramaic words - 2525 English words = 8 as a discrepancy.

So ...

[CONTENTS Israel Eng] <NOT> [CONTENTS Aramaic]  <NOT> [CONTENTS Is Hebrew]  finds 3 verses, but there are supposed to be 8.

So then today tried a new approach and instead of trying Israel* I did Israel <OR> Israel’s which produces 2508.

On the surface it matches 2508 Hebrew hit and now 2508 English hits, but this is not counting the Aramaic. So if I add the 8 Aramaic hits, there are now 2508 English and 2516 Hebrew Aramaic words, so there are now 8 missing, and the missing 8 in question was Aramaic, but his cannot be since sometimes we know the words are fake.

For example, 1 Sam 10:1, the ESV has the word where the Hebrew does not, so it is now a problem that the Hebrew plus Aramaic match the English, as 1 Sam 10:1 is not the only instance.

I am not sure if I am able to explain this issue. :(

Kristin

• Like 1

@Lawrence ,

I just wanted to let you know that I have officially given up on it and am doing it by hand, and while doing so, I realized it is really is the only way. In addition to multiple words occurring in one verse (thus, if the English is missing or adding a word, it would not register if the verse matches), in Numbers I realized it is truly not possible since the actual verse mapping is off. Num 16:38 is Num 17:3 in Hebrew, and it does this for awhile. I am not sure why the two versions map differently, but I am sure it would mess up the CONTENTS.

Anyway, I think I have learned the CONTENTS is still really good for certain functions, but not when 100% accuracy is needed. Thank you for your help though.

Kristin

• Like 1