Phrasing: indent should move margin, not just tab

Sam Freney

This is something between a bug report and a feature request. It's certainly a report of what I expect the behaviour to be which is not what is currently shipping.

macOS 13.0.1, Accordance 14.0.2

I've been using phrasing quite a bit in Greek and Hebrew. I've been wanting/asking/looking forward to this feature for, not kidding, 16 years. I used to create my own versions of this in user notes and bugged the team about making them unicode back in 2006/2007.

So, barbs of a friend here.

I love the way to mark out phrasing. It's simple, and that's good! But what I expect, and what I'd really love, is that the shift-tab command would indent rather than insert a tab. That is, everything else in the verse should line up with that tab.

Why? Because column sizes change in accordance all the time, when you add a new parallel text, resize the window, etc. And in order to make the text that flows on from a 'for' or γάρ or whatever else it is look like it's subordinate to the line above, then the whole phrase should do that too, without making me decide that I need to put in line breaks in order to make the rest of that clause look right in whatever column size I have at the time.

Attached are two images. This is Judges 19:2. Ignore the highlighting (or don't! Wayyiqtols and proper nouns.) One is obviously from accordance, and shows the current practice. Notice that I've indented the phrase starting with 'to her father's house', but 'in Bethlehem in Judah' runs across the line. 'Judah' in Accordance, is back at the main text level. What I'd love for phrasing is to be able to scan things quickly to see their relation to prior clauses, and not have to think immediately that 'Judah' is somehow back at the main thrust of the text.

The other image is what I've been doing previously in Apple Sheets, but pages/word/etc do a similar thing. The same line is indented, but because it flows onto the next line and it's an indent rather than a tab, the 'Judah' portion obviously is grouped with the same indented line above.

I'd love for this to be standard practice - indent rather than add a tab.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 7.18.34 pm.png

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 7.19.16 pm.png

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

I also would highly appreciate that.

I'll add this to my Feature Requests list. Thanks!