Audio reading

Pastor Jonathan

One thing would which would be nice is an integrated narrative reading.

Sometimes it is nice to just listen to God's Word being read while I just listen to the words being said.

Not sure how hard it could be but if that is possible, set it up with a timer so after a set time it would shut off and not drain battery.

On my Roku, Bible.is (which isn't on there anymore) had this, then I set my TV for thirty minutes, and fell asleep listening to the Bible at night.

What a comforting way to go to sleep with God's Word ringing in my ears. 

• Like 4

I have frequently thought that this would be a very useful feature. When I want to listen to the Bible in the car, I have to use the ESV App (or whichever translation). It would also be helpful to have in the desktop version. I find it helpful to engage better with the text when I am both reading and hearing it read.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tswope said:

I have frequently thought that this would be a very useful feature. When I want to listen to the Bible in the car, I have to use the ESV App (or whichever translation). It would also be helpful to have in the desktop version. I find it helpful to engage better with the text when I am both reading and hearing it read.

Agree. It is amazing how much I have gotten out of the Word by just listening. 

And having it on my phone playing through the BT speaker...wow, the beauty of that is absolutely awe-inspiring. 

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

One thing would which would be nice is an integrated narrative reading.

Sometimes it is nice to just listen to God's Word being read while I just listen to the words being said.

E-sword has a few versions provided by www.bible.is

Logos has the ESV and Lexham audio Bibles, so it is quite possible, though they do not have any timers that I saw. Once they get the "speech" function going in Accordance, it could probably do it, but it would likely be a computer voice. I imagine that this is not really high on the priority list, though it would be nice to have.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Erhard said:

E-sword has a few versions provided by www.bible.is

Logos has the ESV and Lexham audio Bibles, so it is quite possible, though they do not have any timers that I saw. Once they get the "speech" function going in Accordance, it could probably do it, but it would likely be a computer voice. I imagine that this is not really high on the priority list, though it would be nice to have.

I used ESword before. Very good. So yes, possible.

I bet they are busy and this is a very small on the list, so I would not expect it. It would distract. But it is a nice feature and thought.

Thanks. 

I already have the Greek audio module on Accordance, and it's not a computer-generated voice. So, it must be possible for them to provide other English, Greek or Hebrew audio modules. You can select individual verses or passages to be read, but I don't see any timer feature.

• Like 1

While its not a perfect translation and as we wait for an English recording in accordance (which one nrsv, esv, lsb,  asv, tev or jps even?), i bought The Complete NIV Audio Bible: Read by David Suchet as he reads it very well. 

(Not sure how well he is known as an actor across the pond.). i have ripped it to itunes so can listen to it anywhere (along with my hebrew and greek audios in accordance.)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Complete-NIV-Audio-Bible-International/dp/1444786407/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Z1NPZPQJUZM9&keywords=Niv+bible+cd&qid=1670395625&sprefix=niv+bible+cd%2Caps%2C111&sr=8-3

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Yes

2 hours ago, ukfraser said:

While its not a perfect translation and as we wait for an English recording in accordance , I bought The Complete NIV Audio Bible: Read by David Suchet as he reads it very well. 

Yes Fraser, there was a short window back in August that it was free in the App Store.  I got it and forgot about it. When I went to buy it on a fresh recommendation, I was pleased to see I already had access.  I've been listening to a chapter a day through Luke.  (24 Chapters through 1st December through to Christmas Eve). I'm really enjoying this audio version.  Clear and crisp without any background noise which I'm used to in another app I use.  (Although It's hard to get away from 'Poirot', and I'm waiting to find out 'who done it'. I think it might be Pilate, but we'll wait and see. 🙂

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Haha 3

We use the NASB 95 recordings on CD and quite like them. The one we have is narrated by Steven B Stevens. It also comes with MP3 discs

• Like 1

Thank you for all the comments. I know I could get an MP3 and I have the whole NT as well. But as was mentioned by @tswope and having it on the desktop, it helps remove the need for one more thing running :). 

But having it in the car, and playing, or listening would be wonderful! I didn't know they had the Greek recording. I wish I knew more Greek but it would be very interesting to hear for sure! 

As for the narration, there are some very good narrators out there. Some better than others. I had not heard of David Suchet, until you mentioned Poirot! 

Had you mentioned Jeremy Brett (He played Sherlock Holmes), I would have recognized him! B). And in honor of the fictional Character and Greek, "But it is better to learn wisdom late than never learn it at all". Does that count toward Hebrew as well? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 6 months later...

SwordSearcher and other programs allow you to simply point the program to the folder that contains your MP3 files of the Bible.  I have a good free one that I really enjoy but I also have paid ones I could use as well.  SwordSearcher also has the verse highlight move along with the audio.  If they can do that, I am pretty sure Accordance could too.  That keeps the cost down for Accordance and simply leaves it as a feature.  The actual media is the user responsibility to provide.

In terms of audio Bibles, all I can say is "stay tuned". :-)