GNT adjectival/adjunct demonstrative pronoun search doesn't work

A. Smith

I've searched NA28 (sigla), NA28, GNT Tagged, UBS 5, and LXX+GNT and I can't get any results with either of these searches, even though I am looking right at one in Mat 4.3 (tagged as "οὗτοι houtoi  οὗτος houtos  Pronoun (demonstrative) masculine plural nominative  this, this one, he (Adjunct)" in the syntax module. I've used the following two searches:

[PRONOUN demonstrative]@ [ADJUNCT]

and 

[PRONOUN demonstrative adjectival]

I've also run the search as a construct search (both as adjectival and adjunct. All with no success. Is this a new bug with v14??????

I don't think it's a bug. The discourse elements, if I'm not mistaken, have to be used with one of the syntax modules. I just tried the first search with the Gnt28-T-syntax and it gives me 441 hits. As for the second one, I'm working with the French UI, but I can't find anything in the lists that is equivalent to an adjectival demonstrative tag... 

2 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

I don't think it's a bug. The discourse elements, if I'm not mistaken, have to be used with one of the syntax modules. I just tried the first search with the Gnt28-T-syntax and it gives me 441 hits. As for the second one, I'm working with the French UI, but I can't find anything in the lists that is equivalent to an adjectival demonstrative tag... 

How to you search the syntax module? I've not found any way I can search that module. 

Re the second search, in English it's under search> tag> pronoun> then subclass, either adjectival or substantival. Granted, substantival isn't a typical category label for demonstratives (though one could argue), but adjectival certainly is. There has got to be some way to refine a search for demonstrative pronoun tags, I would think. 

2 hours ago, A. Smith said:

How to you search the syntax module? I've not found any way I can search that module. 

Re the second search, in English it's under search> tag> pronoun> then subclass, either adjectival or substantival. Granted, substantival isn't a typical category label for demonstratives (though one could argue), but adjectival certainly is. There has got to be some way to refine a search for demonstrative pronoun tags, I would think. 

In your library, start typing <syntax>, and the model should come up directly if you've purchased it. Click to open. It will then open up in parallel with your NA28. From there you can open a construct menu and buld your search from there. I'm not on my computer right now so someone else may want to chime in for the second question. If not, I'll take a look tomorrow. There are a few posts on the syntax module in the forum that you can look at. That can give you some starters. Have fun!

I don't think this is a bug, but I'm not 100% sure. If you do a search for [PRONOUN demonstrative], look at the analysis, and then sort by 'class' and 'subclass' it shows that none of the hits have been tagged with a subclass. If they have indeed been tagged according to subclass then this is a bug. Otherwise, it looks like they were never tagged regarding their (substantival or adjectival) function.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

In your library, start typing <syntax>, and the model should come up directly if you've purchased it. Click to open. It will then open up in parallel with your NA28. From there you can open a construct menu and buld your search from there. I'm not on my computer right now so someone else may want to chime in for the second question. If not, I'll take a look tomorrow. There are a few posts on the syntax module in the forum that you can look at. That can give you some starters. Have fun!

Good grief. I've been looking at this and looking at this, because it's exactly what I've done with no results.

Then I realized it's a different text. NA-28 GNT vs NA-28 GNT (Sigla). 

I'll post this elsewhere in feature requests, but I think it's silly we can't use the marked text for basic searches like this. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:32 PM, A. Smith said:

Good grief. I've been looking at this and looking at this, because it's exactly what I've done with no results.

Then I realized it's a different text. NA-28 GNT vs NA-28 GNT (Sigla). 

I'll post this elsewhere in feature requests, but I think it's silly we can't use the marked text for basic searches like this. 

Hi Adrian, the sigla text puts the syntax tagging out by all the extra notations. From years ago I remember that the decision was made to attach the syntax tagging to NA28-T - and the then the sigla text was released and the amount of work that would be needed to not just "relink" the tagging, but to maintain it as well was not thought a wise investment of resource (at the time).

In no way is that meant to discourage you from requesting the addition, but just to say I think it's unlikely to happen.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ken Simpson said:

Hi Adrian, the sigla text puts the syntax tagging out by all the extra notations. From years ago I remember that the decision was made to attach the syntax tagging to NA28-T - and the then the sigla text was released and the amount of work that would be needed to not just "relink" the tagging, but to maintain it as well was not thought a wise investment of resource (at the time).

In no way is that meant to discourage you from requesting the addition, but just to say I think it's unlikely to happen.

Thanks. As I said elsewhere, I get it. But I don't like it!

• Like 1