At the start of Luke 15 I am getting in all Greek texts Luke 15:1 €Hσαν with a Euro currency symbol instead of a circumflex accent over a smooth breathing

Enoch

€Hσαν !  This substitution of the Euro currency symbol is appearing in all Greek texts that I tried, including GNT-TRS, Westcott & Hort UBS4 & NA 28.

But when I paste here the string with the Euro symbol, it does not appear here.  This is what I paste here when I copy & paste onto your word processor at the start of 15:1: 

Ἦσαν δὲ αὐτῷ ἐγγίζοντες. If you see what I see, the H has the circumflex & smooth breathing embedded in the top of the H.  (Is this subtle hint the Accordance will raise its prices? - LOL)  This is happening with Accordance 13, but not 12. 12 pastes here this way:

Ἦσαν δὲ αὐτῷ ἐγγίζοντες. If you see what I see, with 12 the circumflex & breathing is to the left of the H, just before it at the top of the H.

BTW, after playing around at bit, it seems that Accordance 13 does not recognize the Ἦσαν is a word in the search box, and it also not recognize ἦσαν with lower case eta if you spell it that way either.  You can paste it from the text. But nothing results from the search of so common a word.  It is not listed in the recognized vocabulary box.

I wonder if Luke 15:1 is the only place in edited modern Greek texts where a capital letter is used with this word.  So the word may also be a glitch in the Accordance text search engine. But it seems surprising to me if Accordance differentiates capital Greek letters from lower case, since this differentiation is a purely modern invention, not in the original text.

Edited by Enoch

Hmm, Luke 15:1 renders decently on Windows

148963921_LUKE15.thumb.jpg.750bc77eb39b71ec750ad44192b7722b.jpg

Testing Machine Specs:
OS build 19044.2251
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz   
System type:    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Installed RAM:    8.00 GB

1832175006_ScreenShot2022-12-03at23_32_21.thumb.png.09f7b4739ea8c49706d77a378bba4816.png

The problem is with Acc 13. I don't have 14.  This is on an iMac that has Yosemite for the OS.  I guess I will go & try my Mojave Macbook Pro & see if it is the same.

Edited by Enoch

8 minutes ago, Enoch said:

The problem is with 13. I don't have 14.

v13 still turns out the same for me.  It might be a Mac/IOS issue seeing I'm on a Windows platform with no issue.

Screenshot 2022-12-03 213731 Luke 15 v13.jpg

Have you tried quitting Accordance, restarting in Accordance Safe Mode by holding down the option key, then selecting "Clean up installed fonts?"

• Like 1

Thanks for telling me about that procedure.  How would your safe mode exercise affect the facts that this glitch does not appear in Accordance 12 on the same computer, & the Euro symbol does not appear when I paste a copy onto this forum word processor?  Can I hear from somebody who uses Mac instead of windows? And can I hear from tech support on this?

Edited by Enoch

No problems for me on Mac. This may be connected with something I've seen in the past that necessitated cleaning the fonts cache. Try taking a look at this:

Here's Luke 15 in v14 on macOS. It seems the accent/breathing mark combination is somehow causing a problem in your font. Perhaps it's also related to the combination with majuscule eta, I don't know. I'm not completely familiar with font issues as it's never been a problem I've had to wrestle with. But the first thing I would do is check your preferences and see what you've got for text display, greek & hebrew, and unicode display. I'm not saying that you have to have my settings. But if it's not working, I know that my settings do work on macOS. So I would try them, then restart and make sure the settings stick, and see what happens. Another option, before you change your settings, may be to simply toggle the settings between a different option and your current option. This sometimes resolves issues. And, of course restart. 

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 10.48.39.png

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 10.51.00.png

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 10.51.07.png

Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 10.51.13.png

I was having a similar issue. Michael's suggestion to cleanup the fonts cache fixed it for me. Thanks!