Accordance 14 is now available!

R. Mansfield

Accordance 14 is now available. 

If you have not purchased 14 yet, go here to do so.

If you pre-ordered 14 and did not receive the release email, download here for macOS and Windows

RELEASE NOTES

Dynamic Word Study

• Reorganized the File menu—>New submenu, Amplify and Right-Click menus to accommodate new Word Study feature. Research now appears beneath the Texts. Word Study appears below Research.
  • The Word Study tab is accessible from the File—>New menu, the Tool Bar New icon, the Amplify menu, the Right-click menu, and from Live Click.
    • The Word Study item in each menu will present a submenu of appropriate options.
      • For new menus, these include English, Greek, and Hebrew.
      • Amplify menus will present Word and Key Number options from a Key Number text.
      • Amplify menus will present Lexeme, Inflected, and Root from a tagged Greek or Hebrew text.
    • If opened from the Amplify menu, the Right-click menu, or Live Click, the selected word or Key Number is inserted into the Entry field of the Word Study tab.
  • The Word Study tab has sections for Word Info, Text Compare, Word Pie Graph, Word Bar Graph, Frequency Graph (i.e. Hits Graph), Key Number Lexicons, Dictionaries, Lexicons, Grammars, and Journals.
    • Each section can be displayed or hidden via a disclosure triangle.
    • The sections displayed depend on the kind of word searched for (i.e.: English, Key Number, Greek, or Hebrew)
    • Graph sections include a token size control for sizing of individual graph types.
    • Text Compare and Graph sections include a plus icon to add other texts for comparison.
    • Each text compare list or graph can be closed via its close icon, or changed to a different text via its token pop-up menu.
    • Sections displaying book covers can be expanded to include more books by clicking + show more. Click - show less to remove them.
  • Options for the display of the Word Study tab can be set via the Set Word Study Options dialog (accessible via the Display menu).
  • The Word Study Entry Box Includes the search text pop-up menu, History menu, entry field, and Recycle button.
  • Word Study searches are filtered as follows:
    • No special commands other than [Key ?] with a Key numbered text.
    • No phrases
    • Wild cards and word lists are allowed (when entered as a series separated by commas within parentheses)
  • When amplifying to the Word Study tab…
    • A phrase selection will search for the first word in the phrase
    • A Hebrew selection will use the main word and ignore selected prefixes/suffixes
    • A Hebrew selection will not search for specific homographs, though specific homograph searches can be entered manually into the Word Study tab.
    • A word search will not use the exact search character (=), even though exact searches can be entered manually into the Word Study tab.
  • English Word Study
    • Can search by word or Key number
    • If searching by Word, a token enables display of All Keys, Greek only, or Hebrew only. This option affects the word count, text translation, and the various graphs. This token does not appear when doing a Key Word or Language Word Study.
    • Word Info includes
      • Word count in displayed text version
      • A definition from the default Greek or Hebrew dictionary
    • Clicking Key Number lexicons hyperlinks to Key Number
    • Clicking Word lexicons hyperlinks to Greek or Hebrew word
  • Original Language Word Study
    • Word Info includes
      • Word count in displayed text version
      • Root and Gloss info
      • A definition from either the default English dictionary or the Webster’s Dictionary
  • List of Texts in Pull-down menus for Text Compare and Graphs
    • English word in a text with no Key numbers: all texts except grammatically-tagged original language texts
    • English word in a text with Key numbers: all texts shown
    • Key number in text with Key numbers: Exclude texts with no Key numbers or tagging, and exclude original language texts which do not match the language of the Key number searched.
    • Original Language word: Exclude texts with no Key Numbers nor tagging, and exclude original language texts of a different language. (An exception for the LXX texts may be added in the future.)

Typed User Tools

• User Tools can now assume a fundamental “Type” of content, which enables additional Accordance capabilities.
    • Possible types are:
    • Dictionary (i.e. Articles organized by English or Roman word)
    • Greek Dictionary (i.e. Articles organized by Greek word)
    • Hebrew Dictionary (i.e. Articles organized by Hebrew word)
    • Commentary (i.e. Articles organized by Verse Reference)
    • General Tool (i.e. No particular organization)
  • A Typed User Tool gains an additional primary field, based on content of the relevant language found within a Title Paragraph. For instance, if a title paragraph is marked “Adam”, if the type is Dictionary, then Adam will be included in the primary field. For any other type of tool, since Adam is not in the primary language, it will be in the “Titles” field.
  • In addition, converting a Typed User Tool to a regular Tool will enable amplification options, such as being the preferred Greek Lexicon, or preferred Commentary in instant details.
  • Types can be chosen upon creation and import, as well as modified at any time using the new “Tool Options” menu.

Other User Tool Improvements

• Support for Importing User Tools as unicode
    • Importing plain text will attempt to detect UTF16 vs UTF8 via BOM, or if no BOM present, seeing if any invalid UTF8 characters. If so, assume it is Windows ANSI / MacRoman.
    • HTML will now always import to a unicode tool, but still read the “charset=” meta code to assist in interpreting the encoding of the characters therein.
    • PDFs will now import as unicode user tools
  • All newly created User Tools are unicode
  • Saved User Tools will require version 14 to be read due to new features and trimmed word groups
  • Added Tool Options pop-up to User Tool Window with the following options
    • Ability to change the User Tool Type
    • Convert to Non-Unicode
    • Convert to Permanent Tool
  • Added Support for new fields
    • Uncial / Coptic
    • Syriac
    • Arabic
    • Transliteration
    • Manuscript
  • Fields are populated based on Unicode font language code
  • Added option to set all non-unicode original language text with a default font.
  • User Tools no longer show dimmed empty user groups
  • Removed code for reading < Accordance v5 User Tools
  • Removed the Font Name/Style popups from a unicode user tool. Everything should be default font, or an auto-converted original language font
  • The Field token no longer lists the 6 default word groups (dimming the unused ones), but now lists only the fields used in the tool.
  • Converting User Tools between unicode and non-unicode requires a confirmation, as information may be lost either way. Going to unicode may lose some subtleties of Yehudit, and going from unicode doesn’t support certain characters, like Cyrillic or Chinese.
  • Option to save and close any open edit windows

Easy Answers (Curriculum)

• Support for editable blanks and boxes within Accordance Tools to enable answering questions in workbooks, Bible studies, etc.
  • Answers are stored in a file of type .amyans inside an Answers folder in the Accordance Files folder.
  • After filling in the blanks, the answers are displayed directly in the tool.
  • A language icon menu allows the user to choose Default, Greek, or Hebrew keyboards.
  • The gear menu includes an option to Hide (and Show) Answer Boxes.
  • File—>Save Text Selection now includes a Tool Answers… option. These are saved to an rtf file which contains the text of the answers and a URL link to each answer in context.

Phrasing

• Allows the user to add Return and Tab characters in any verse of a Text module too show discourse structure
  • Phrasing is stored in a file of type .amyphrase inside a Phrasing folder in the Accordance Files folder.
  • The Text pane gear menu contains a Phrasing submenu with the following items:
    • Phrasing Break: adds a carriage return (shift-return)
    • Phrasing Indent: adds a tab (shift-tab)
    • Phrasing Delete: deletes any selected phrasing characters (shift-delete)
    • Hide/Show Phrasing: Hides and shows the phrasing
    • Lock/Unlock Phrasing: prevents or allows editing of the phrasing
  • When adding a new tab at a place in the text where there is no phrasing indention, a return character is automatically added to force a line break.

Quick-Click Navigation of Texts

• A Table of Contents icon now appears on all Search tabs to the left of the Context Slider
  • Click to select book, then click chapter, then click verse
  • Double-click at any point to go to complete the navigation
  • Click and hold on any book, chapter, or verse to complete the navigation
  • Back and Go To Buttons
  • A List option can be selected in the Search Tab preferences

New Citation Types

• Now in addition to Turabian, SBL, and Simple citations we’ve added APA, Chicago Manual of Style, and MLA.

Web Browser

• accordance.bible/link urls that are clicked in the Accordance internal web browser will now be handled directly by Accordance.

General

• The Lexeme word pick dialog will no longer show the German gloss for ETCBC if the option to suppress German gloss is turned on.
  • Fixed and enhanced several items related to Hebrew Bible texts:
    • When using source highlighting, fixed the occasional highlighting of the wrong word in Hebrew Bibles for words after a Ketiv/Qere form.
    • Fixed the Parsing tab display of Ketiv/Qere forms that sometime show a double bracket, especially on the ETCBC Hebrew text.
    • Fixed amplifying of compound names in the ETCBC Hebrew text to work properly.

Dark Mode Support

• Accordance 14 now supports Dark Mode on Windows.
  • No longer requires restarting Accordance to change Light/Dark appearance.
  • Added a toolbar button to toggle Light/Dark appearance.
  • Like 6

Just checking: are the iOS (e.g. iPad) versions ready for updating as well, or are they still in development?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Just checking: are the iOS (e.g. iPad) versions ready for updating as well, or are they still in development?

Not yet. App Store still has 3.3.1, released 5 months ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Definitely looking forward to that update. I use the iPad app probably equally or more than the desktop version.

On 11/22/2022 at 3:52 PM, R. Mansfield said:

Options for the display of the Word Study tab can be set via the Set Word Study Options dialog (accessible via the Display menu).

Rick, I'm a bit lost on this one.  I can't seem to find the option dialog.  Can the settings for the Word study be changed. 

p.s.  I'm loving the Word Study feature.  Its outstanding!

• Like 1

Having all kinds of problems with V14. Installation was a disaster and now many commentaries, lexicons, are no longer found where they belong but in other. I had to delete and redownload everything and start from scratch...

• Sad 1

DO NOT UPGRADE TO V.14 IF YOU ARE USING V.13. It's a disaster. Library will be totally messed up with books being moved all over the place where they don't belong and the spinning color wheel of death is constant even just opening the software!

• Sad 1

I haven't experienced any of those issues. Always good to back up before installing anything new just in case, but so far for me, it's been a nice upgrade.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Robb B said:

I haven't experienced any of those issues. Always good to back up before installing anything new just in case, but so far for me, it's been a nice upgrade.

Same here, I haven't had any of these issues and the installation went smoothly for me on windows 11.

I have a couple questions...

• Setting aside questions of readiness for release, why isn't v14 (or v13.3.4, for that matter) available on the general downloads page?
  • I pre-ordered 14, have the confirmation emails and everything.  Why did I have to read about the release on these forums?  Why didn't I get an email?  Why don't I see a major announcement on the front page?

14 minutes ago, Jeff Arnold said:

I have a couple questions...

• Setting aside questions of readiness for release, why isn't v14 (or v13.3.4, for that matter) available on the general downloads page?
  • I pre-ordered 14, have the confirmation emails and everything.  Why did I have to read about the release on these forums?  Why didn't I get an email?  Why don't I see a major announcement on the front page?

It is on the downloads page: https://www.accordancebible.com/download-accordance/

I cannot address the lack of email, but Accordance 14 is on the top of the home page: https://www.accordancebible.com

On 11/22/2022 at 10:52 AM, R. Mansfield said:

Accordance 14 is now available. 

Dark Mode Support

• Accordance 14 now supports Dark Mode on Windows.

As a Windows user I should get a free upgrade to Accordance 14 since the only reason I even upgraded to Accordance 13 was for Dark Mode which I never received (though it was advertised as "coming soon for Windows"). Here we are over 3 years later, which is no one's reasonable definition of soon. I shouldn't have to upgrade twice for the same feature because of false advertisement on the part of Accordance.

35 minutes ago, Kiyah said:

As a Windows user I should get a free upgrade to Accordance 14 since the only reason I even upgraded to Accordance 13 was for Dark Mode which I never received (though it was advertised as "coming soon for Windows"). Here we are over 3 years later, which is no one's reasonable definition of soon. I shouldn't have to upgrade twice for the same feature because of false advertisement on the part of Accordance.

I would recommending calling support and talking it over. I think you will find they are very helpful and might find a way to turn something bad into something good for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rick,

I am trying to use the import feature in Acc. 14 to import Bibles from the Accordance exchange. However every time I try to import the text file a popup window says This text cannot be imported, because there is an extra blank line after the reference "Matthew 1:1". Texts like the Aramaic P-KHAB and other available texts

Thanks

Habil Yousif

• Like 1

Rick is no longer with the company, but he still reads the forums and will hopefully chime in.

If you downloaded the files from the Accordance Exchange, you shouldn’t need the Import feature but the ability to just add the files to your Accordance library (unless I’m misunderstanding something). I can try walking you through how I’ve added Accordance Exchange User Bibles if that’d help.

• Like 1

Thanks, Nathan!

For sure I would love to get your help,

I am getting the texts from https://www.accordancefiles1.com/exchange/bibles.htm

All of them are xxx.TXT files that's why I am following the help file on Accordance to import new bibles.

Any help to successfully import the bibles would mean a lot to me.

Habil Yousif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

unless I’m misunderstanding something

They are TXT files so they can be imported on any Accordance version.

Modules created with older versions often cannot be used nor converted to work with newer Accordance versions.

The Bug that @habilious02 mentioned occurs specifically with Hebrew texts and there is no blank line - it's a bug in Accordance that I've also reported before.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, habilious02 said:

Any help to successfully import the bibles would mean a lot to me.

If you have access to Accordance 12 it imports the text without any problem.

• Like 1

Thanks for this! I’ll report this bug as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, habilious02 said:

I only have access to Accordance 13 & 14.

I'll share some modules which will work on 13 & 14: (Files from Acc. Exchange or Davar free software).

PeshMRD°.acc2PeshETH°.acc2P-1905 (EM)°.acc2OSC-EW°.acc2UHB.acc2TNT2.acc2TNT1.acc2Samaritan Pent.°.acc2P-MING (Acc)°.acc2P-KHAB (Acc)°.acc2P-HOUG (Acc)°.acc2BHSunicode()°.acc2

Hope that works for you. You can add these without importing.

• Like 2

I edited the post with the link to the bug since it was to the beta forums, and some of the public can’t access the link (it’s broken for them).

I did add the details about the issue to the forum thread of issues still needing resolution.

Remember that non-beta testers can’t read links in the beta forums. I just realized that tonight. 🙂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Remember that non-beta testers can’t read links in the beta forums. I just realized that tonight.

Ok, but many of my bug reports were done via beta testing, so I still need to link to them in the bug reports...

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. PM me a list of your bug reports. I can manually submit them as bug reports to the teams.