tagged text highlighting

Ron Bailey

I was examining John 3:18 using my GNT-BYZ, GNT-TRS, and my KJVS and ESVS. This verse has the Greek work pisteuO present three times. Twice as present active participle nominative masculine singular and the third time as second perfect active indicative third person singular. I notice that whichever Greek work I rest the cursor on ALL the English words for 'believe' are highlighted. It is true that this is a tolerable 'hardship' but I was curious as to how the tagging works. Is it really just a function of the Strongs numbers tagging rather than specific individual Greek word tagging?

Right now the tagging is just based on the Strong's numbers, but 8.3 will highlight only the one occurrence of the word, depending on the word order. This will still be open to errors fo the word order of the translation is very different from the poriginal, but it will usually give a much more accurate result.

Thanks Helen, looking forward to 8.3!

It later occurred to me that the 8.3 might not be as useful to me as the 8.2!

Currently I use GNT-BYZ as my main Greek text which maps fairly easily to the KJVS. In the current way of operating, using Strongs tags, it also maps fairly well to my ESVS, although obviously that translation is based on a fundamentally different Greek text. So when 8.3 arrives will I still have some measure of mapping between my GNT-BYZ and my ESVS or will I lose this?

I am just thinking that if you improve to a more accurate and sophisticated linkage in 8.3, it might suit me better to stay with the 8.2.

Ron,

I just did a quick scan through John 3 with the 8.3 beta, with the GNT-T, GNT-BYZ, and ESVS in parallel, and didn't see any instance where 8.2 would better serve you. Even if word order is different in the underlying Greek texts, the Key Number will still highlight the correct one based on its lemma (lexical form); word order doesn't supersede this. The instances where the ESVS won't 'key' with the GNT-BYZ/TR will be when the underlying lexical form doesn't match that listed in the ESVS. The new features in 8.3 don't have anything to do with this. Also, in cases where the lexical forms were different only in spelling we retained both spellings in the ESVS Key Number, enabling both forms to 'key' (common in personal names).

Hope this helps to clarify…

Many thanks Rick.

Archived