Why a return of all verses upon chapter query?

Martin Smith

When I submit a query, e.g., Ezekiel 17, I am returned all verses surrounding the chapter. This becomes a problem when I have queried a chapter in order to select and copy the returned verses in the chapter. I then get an error message saying that I cannot copy more than 500 verses at a time. I know this is related to the associated setting directly beneath my search tab which allows a value to increase the number of verses following the user query. In my case when I query a chapter, e.g. Ezekiel 17, Accordance automatically changes this "following verses value" from 0 to "A" which returns all the verses in the text. How do I prevent this besides specifying in my query a limited range of verses in a chapter, e.g., Ezekiel 17:1-24? I've attached two graphics indicating the problem via screen snippets.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Search tab snippet.png

Error dialog.png

I think you can change the context slider in the Accordance preferences so that it does not include additional context to your query - you want it set to 0

Hi @Martin Smith. I think I know of two ways to do what you want, but there may be others that are more efficient.

First, before you copy, you can quickly change the context slider to 0 using the associated keyboard shortcut (the default on Windows is Ctrl+/). This shortcut toggles the context between 0 and whatever it is currently set to (usually All).

Second, if you find yourself doing this a lot, you can (as @mbcvida suggested) change your global search tab preferences. Under Preferences > Search Tabs, uncheck the Add automatic context option. Then any new search tab you open will have the context slider initialized to 0.

Thank you MBC and Steven. The preferences option setting did what I needed.