Library Syncing

KCarmanIII

is there a way to sync your library organization between two computers? I have accordance on a laptop and my work computer so it would be beneficial to be able to have my libraries organized the same on both machines without having to spend the crazy amount of time to do it manually

I have not tried what you want to do (I've only made backups), but it seems that if you install the same libraries on each computer that you might export a list of them from one computer and copy & paste to the other.

1. Select the Library icon
  2. Right-Click the Library menu, I performed this action on "Recently Opened"
  3. Create a ".ris" file via "Export all Data..." and give the file a name - in my case I append with an ISO formatted date; e.g. "Tools Backup 20220923.ris"
  4. On the Windows 11 operating system, the default installation folder will now contain a backup ".ris" file like follows:

"C:\Users\<typically your name>\Documents\Accordance Files\Tools Backup 20220923.ris"

5. The very fact that you can backup a Library menu file implies to me that you can restore from it. However, I am failing to find a "formal" method of restoring the backup.

File > Open... does not list the ".ris" file type and there is nothing obvious under the File > User Files menu either?

image.png.3b730764b80949c941d713289ed2cd18.png

PS:

When choosing where your files are saved, be wary about using a network (UNC) path, I've experienced crashes in doing so.

image.png.c879b385e8b9f34f90cce830ba502b2a.png

there is a way to do this with copying the right preference file, but I've never gotten it to work. However, @R. Mansfield, has revealed that Accordance is working toward in-house syncing in Version 14. Hopefully, that will include library organization syncing too.

• Like 1

I think I managed to get the preference file copying between Macs, but never between a Mac and PC. True on syncing coming sometime in 14. I hope it has Library syncing. When I chatted with support, it sounded “possible”.

15 hours ago, cweber said:

File > Open... does not list the ".ris" file type and there is nothing obvious under the File > User Files menu either?

This file contains the bibliographic data for the selected resources. It is meant to be imported by bibliography management software like Zotero. It does not represent the organization of your library.

Thanks for that update @jlm. Perhaps Accordance can add an actual feature to save and restore Library menus as it takes time to organise them and this would be a useful feature?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cweber said:

Thanks for that update @jlm. Perhaps Accordance can add an actual feature to save and restore Library menus as it takes time to organise them and this would be a useful feature?

Has been asked for more than once in the past. See here for one example.

Could it be coming as part of the announced "Accordance Syncing" feature to be included with Accordance 14?**

Let it be so .... please.

** Light the Lamp Accordance November Newsletter includes the following disclaimer "this feature won’t be available immediately at the launch of Accordance" and "The new syncing method will be included with your purchase of Accordance 14."

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 5:39 PM, Tim Hall said:

...@R. Mansfield, has revealed that Accordance is working toward in-house syncing in Version 14. Hopefully, that will include library organization syncing too.

I have not seen how extensive the new syncing method is. However, I hold the same hopes as you 🙂