Do Any Accordance Users Use a VPN?

Dr. Nathan Parker

Do any Accordance users use a VPN either on their home Internet or on Public Wi-Fi for general online activity? I used to have a subscription to ProtonVPN, but I let it lapse since it was a little slow, and it also caused authentication issues with Accordance when I had it running. I’ve thought about trying ExpressVPN for a month.

However, I’m wondering if I really need one. My ISP is a local ISP, and after looking over my terms of service, they don’t have the extensive data-sharing policies that some major ISPs have. Additionally, most sites I access are HTTPS now, a VPN would still take a hit in my Internet speed, plus my web browsing history, emails, messages, and synced files are stored in iCloud. Therefore, I don’t know if a VPN would really benefit me. Since I perform the bulk of my web browsing on Safari and have iCloud+, I did enable iCloud Private Relay for the time being. It’s not as extensive as a VPN, but since it’s been painless to use, I’ve used it.

Thanks!

No.  I use one on a work computer to access the corporate network, but not for general use.   While you do expose some things (that are slowly becoming encrypted, such as DNS activity), so much is encrypted already....

• Like 1

Good pointers. I think even my DNS is going over DOH or one of the other similar setups now (I use Quad9 for my DNS), so I haven’t been able to find a reason to justify paying extra for a VPN service yet.

I use ExpressVPN and it appears to work well here in Australia. I use a different VPN for work. I did experience issues with Accordance and the VPN so I got into a habit of turning it off when checking for updates or during library downloads.

You do not really need one unless perhaps your torrenting. I still use the VPN at home because the subscription has not expired (sunk cost fallacy) and it has been used as a deterrent to the annoying spam bots trying to latch onto a location. However, determined resources can still gather information about you.

The general approach to protect your data is web browsing with HTTPS, antivirus/malware software and MFA.

Edited by cweber
  • Like 2

Good info. Thanks! If your subscription is on the brink of renewal in the future, would you renew/keep/use it or drop it?

@Nathan Parker, I am unlikely to renew the VPN for myself once the subscription expires, but many include multiple devices and my wife uses it. A VPN is considered important when using a torrent service, and in my wife's case she has a legitimate book club site a torrent service works best with; not all torrents are for illegal movie downloads.

Regardless of whether state sponsored, nefarious individuals, automated bots or paid advertising, all these attacks and spammers are advancing in technology and their approaches. These days a private network is common for business, but likely less effective for individuals trying to protect personal data or avoid malicious intent.  Even corps like Facebook have techniques to harvest your information when you do not even have an account with them, just by the sites you might visit. Best practices these days center about awareness and related practices, not total reliance upon technological solutions.

Edited by cweber
  • Like 1

Great info. Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Two more VPN vs iCloud Private Relay questions:

1. If I head to a lodge in a state park that has free Wi-Fi, and I’m primarily doing my web browsing in Safari with iCloud Private Relay enabled, is that decent enough protection, or should I still use a traditional VPN for all my web traffic?

2. If I do any international traveling in the future on free Wi-Fi, and I’m primarily doing my web browsing in Safari with iCloud Private Relay enabled, is that decent enough protection, or should I still use a traditional VPN for all my web traffic? Do I need one that can simulate a US location while traveling internationally?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Daily. Nearly all the time. VPN performance greatly varies with  location. I found express vpn to work flawlessly in the states. Now that I’m in Africa, Nord reforms much better. 

I absolutely recommend paid service over the various free vpn offers. 

Also, iCloud relay is not even allowed in some locations (for example, where I am now). So I can’t even activate that option. Apple has closed the option for me. 

Using a US location is helpful for shopping and other tasks involving currency and shipping. But aside from that, I let Nord select the fastest option. Usually South Africa.  

Edited by A. Smith

Great. Thanks!

Great!

23 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Great!

I use McAfee Live Safe and it has a VPN.

Thanks!

Great. Thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2022 at 4:09 AM, Nathan Parker said:

Do any Accordance users use a VPN either on their home Internet or on Public Wi-Fi for general online activity?

Yes, I have in past time used VPNs.

I think VPNs are useful if you live or travel abroad often. I live aboard so VPNs are useful to access some websites in my country of origin that are not accessible to me now. 

Another great use of VPNs are for those who want to acquire foreign languages through immersion. With a VPN you can access lots of video and media content in other languages that would not be available without the VPN. 

Thanks! I went ahead and signed up for Proton Unlimited (since I'm also moving some of my stuff to Proton Mail and Proton Drive). VPN is included and working well.

• Like 1