Better tool navigation details

A. Smith

This has been discussed before, but I want to make a point to emphasize it again in a separate post. It would be extremely helpful if there were better location or navigation details in the little box on the lower right of a tool (I think it's called the Go box or Go To box or something like that). For example, when I'm in BDAG, I don't need to know that I'm reading the article on κατά. But I would really love to know if I'm in section A (w the Gen) or section B (w the accusative). This could be something as simple as showing κατά A.2.b.βin the box. There is no need for the whole list of section headings: A. w Gen; 2. down upon, toward, against someone or someth, fig. ext. of 1.; b. in a hostile sense, against; β. after words and expressions that designate hostile speech, esp. an accusation. I know not everyone would understand what these section numbers/letters mean, but such is the nature of scholarly tools. 

This is also useful as many good reference works cite articles by this notation. It seems I can't even put ατά A.2.b.β in the box and go directly there. But, even once I find it, because many articles are so long, and we often need to read more than just the specified section, I'd love to be able to look to the box and see where I am in the given article. Same goes for grammars and other tools. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, A. Smith said:

This has been discussed before, but I want to make a point to emphasize it again in a separate post. It would be extremely helpful if there were better location or navigation details in the little box on the lower right of a tool (I think it's called the Go box or Go To box or something like that). For example, when I'm in BDAG, I don't need to know that I'm reading the article on κατά. But I would really love to know if I'm in section A (w the Gen) or section B (w the accusative). This could be something as simple as showing κατά A.2.b.βin the box. There is no need for the whole list of section headings: A. w Gen; 2. down upon, toward, against someone or someth, fig. ext. of 1.; b. in a hostile sense, against; β. after words and expressions that designate hostile speech, esp. an accusation. I know not everyone would understand what these section numbers/letters mean, but such is the nature of scholarly tools. 

This is also useful as many good reference works cite articles by this notation. It seems I can't even put ατά A.2.b.β in the box and go directly there. But, even once I find it, because many articles are so long, and we often need to read more than just the specified section, I'd love to be able to look to the box and see where I am in the given article. Same goes for grammars and other tools. 

I would like it to go one step further. You mention that you don't need to know that you're in the article on, e.g., κατά. That may be true when you are in a lexicon entry. But not having some indication somewhere of what article you are looking at when it's a dictionary article is bothersome. Typically, the "finder" window in the lower right-hand corner will indicate one subtitle in more detailed articles. But without opening and/or refreshing the TOC, you have no way of knowing what you're reading. This is especially problematical if you are doing a search on a word or a verse in, say, TDNT. I would really like to see some kind of automatically expanding/collapsing header that gives you all this information. A last-minute addition to Accordance 14? 🤔

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread which is still something that would be a good improvement. I was hoping for this in v. 14 but alas...

• Like 1

Thanks for reviving this! I am adding it to a feature requests list I’m tracking of different forum feedback.

• Like 1