Bug in Accordance or problem with the tool UBS Handbooks-NT?

Michael J. Bolesta

I have a workspace with UBS5 as my main text. I have several tools linked to this tab, including the UBS Translators' Handbooks-NT. As I work through John, the UBS Handbooks display one of the appendices rather than translation commentary on corresponding text. For example, in chapter 10, it takes me to the appendix on the Good Shepherd rather than the top verse in my main text tab.

I have seen this in several sections of John. I have reported it via Report a Correction, but have received no feedback, and there has been no revision of the module.

Is this a bug in the program or a problem in the tool module?

Can anyone replicate this?

Thank you very much!

I don’t have this module, but it sounds like a problem I’ve seen with other modules. Accordance verse syncing seems to work like this: search the Reference field for the verse, and go to the last hit. The assumption is that the last hit will be the most detailed commentary on the verse, while any prior hits would be introducing divisions of the text. Appendices tend to violate that assumption. The fix would be to tag the appendix headings as something other than Reference.

You can verify that this is what is happening by untying the tool (or opening another copy) and searching the Reference field for one of the problematic verses.

An alternative to fixing the tool would be for Accordance to make the algorithm slightly more sophisticated: first try to search the Reference field for an exact hit (like “=John 10:4”) and only if that fails try a non-exact search (“John 10:4”). In Reference Tools that comment verse-by-verse, this would be less likely to find appendices.

• Like 2

@jlm is correct. Accordance scrolls in parallel with the last hit in the reference field which is usually the verse level commentary. An appendix like that would be an exception. So the developer either decided that the section on "The Good Shepherd" was important enough to include in the reference field or they didn't notice it when checking the module; probably the latter. I'll mention the issue to our person doing corrections. Thanks @Michael J. Bolesta

Thank you @jlm and @Jordan S. I tried untying the tab and searching and it gave several hits for 10:1 and 10:2. I could navigate to the desired verse commentary, but it does not address my issue. Using the TOC is faster, but still several clicks.

As I said, it afflicts multiple sections of John's Gospel. The Good Shepherd theme is just one. If this could be corrected or addressed by user preference (future Accordance version), it would be great. I have not noticed this in other tools.