Deleted iOS App from Mac and Lost All Data

Robb B

Maybe this has been covered somewhere and I missed it, but just for kicks I downloaded the iPad version of Accordance on my M2 Mac. After playing with it for a bit, I deleted it. When I opened Mac Accordance, it had deleted all of my resources, my preferences, everything. Thankfully, I had a Time Machine backup handy and was able to restore just about everything in 10 minutes. I did have to re-download the timeline, atlas, parallels, and some other smaller resources. I'm not sure if there's a way to avoid this, but it's a serious frustration to have that happen without any warning or heads up that deleting the iPad app would delete everything Accordance related on my Mac except the actual desktop app itself.

That's really bizarre. Question: on macOS, do you use the download directly from us or the Mac App Store? 

Direct. I’ve been a user since 2005, long before the Mac App Store!

29 minutes ago, Robb B said:

Direct. I’ve been a user since 2005, long before the Mac App Store!

Oh, I know that. But lots of longtime Accordance users download the MAS version.

Second question: how did you delete it? Just dragging it to the trash or using a utility? 

Okay, I thought I had the iOS version of Accordance on my M1 MBP, but it's not there. I'm going to reinstall it, download all resources, then delete the app and see what happens. I'll let you know.

By the way, the strangest thing about it is that I never downloaded any resources for the iOS app. I just played around with the default resources included.

Robb, I deleted the iOS app from my M1 MBP, but that didn’t affect my regular macOS install. And it shouldn’t. I have no idea what went wrong on your end. The iOS version especially should be sandboxed from other apps on your computer. I’ve not heard anyone else report this. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer.