A close look at Paul's vocabulary in Colossians

Chris Grizzell

Hi: I have owned several versions of Accordance over the years but never really got to grips with the finer features. Dr Timothy's podcasts have inspired me to dig deeper and I am being bowled over.

I've been scratching my head with something I'm sure it is possible to do. In the Introduction to Colossians in the Spirit Filled Life Bible it says: "Colossians has 28 words found nowhere else in Paul's writings, and 34 found nowhere else in the NT." I just wondered how I could check this out. (The text is the NKJV).

Could you point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Chris:

Create one window searching for all the words in the rest of the text (such as [RANGE Mat-Phil; 1Thess-Rev] *) and create a second window with Colossians as the range. Search that window for all words not in the first window like this: *@-[HITS window1]. This means all words except the list of Hit words from the first window. Then click Details: Analysis to get a list of the words sorted any way you want.

Commands. My example shows the words not in the rest of the NT.

words1.png words2.png words3.png

There are more options for tagged and Key number texts. Please see the Help files under Advanced Searches: Commands.

Had a related question: I was at an accordance seminar, and the speaker showed how you can do a search to get all the times when a word is repeated 3 times such as: holy, holy, holy and woe, woe, woe. I can not recall how to set up the search. Any suggestions?

I found my answer using the construct window. There are actually three examples: Holy, holy, holy and woe, woe, woe, and land, land, land

Wonderful - thank you Helen. That HITS command is so powerful.

Like they say, it's easy when you know how!

Archived