Accordance mobile on M1 desktop - it works well!

Michel Gilbert

One of the features I was looking forward to on an M1 machine was using some of my iPad OS apps. I have to say that I’ve been disappointed with many, even most of them. But, I am not disappointed with Accordance. I just installed it and I would say that it runs the best of all the apps I tried. I have a very specific use for it, reading an English Bible in certain places, which frees up space for my original language workspaces. It is also very convenient to click once and get the underlying Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.

Thanks.

Michel

• Like 3

It also works very well to use in teaching using a projector/TV. 

• Like 3

This’ll be fun once I get an Apple Silicon Mac!

12 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

This’ll be fun once I get an Apple Silicon Mac!

Hi, Nathan,

You might be interested in what I’ve learned so far about the M1:

Accordance desktop works great. Accordance mobile complements it very nicely. I have two identical Accordance icons in my dock now, but one is called Accordance Mobile.

I used the trial version of Crossover 22 to try some programs. Nota Bene 13 works better in it than in their shipped Mac version with Crossover 20. In fact, it pastes Hebrew from Accordance perfectly, for the first time if I remember correctly. However, NB is a bit slow at times when you click certain menu items. Maybe it is faster for ltr languages. (Other programs that work well are BibleWorks 10, Classical Text Editor, and EditPad Lite and Pro)

Scrivener opens a lot faster. It took about 72 seconds to open on my aging 2014 mini, and it takes about 3-4 seconds with the same amount of open files on my M1. However, not all programs show such a dramatic reduction. Accordance and Mellel open as quickly as ever.

I have Mellel, but I’m starting to really like Nisus Writer Pro. It is becoming my main word processor in OSX. I have to use Word and other critical Windows programs for my commitment to the KGMLF so I still have a (pretty good) Windows machine.

Since I wasn’t sure about the M1, especially regarding a Windows ARM VM and Crossover (or installing Wine myself), and having read all kinds of reviews, I started with the base mini, knowing I could return it and upgrade if I needed to. What I have found for my workflow, which doesn’t include video editing, is that the base model is sufficient. I’ve kept Activity Monitor open at all times and the only time I had any memory pressure was when I was experimenting with Parallels and Windows 11 ARM, and it only got to yellow.

Regarding Windows 11 ARM in Parallels 18, I was disappointed. When I installed Office 365, it got caught up in an endless loop so I uninstalled Parallels altogether. If I remember though, Nota Bene worked in it.

All in all, for what I use my Mac for the base mini is fantastic. If I had had any confidence in Windows 11 ARM, I would have upgraded the RAM and I’m sure 16 GB would have sufficed. Of course, most on this forum will upgrade the ssd but 256 is okay for what I do (and I have tons of storage on my Windows machine).

If you have any specific questions, I’d be glad to (try to) answer them.

Michel

• Like 1

In terms of the Accordance icons, macOS allows you to change them out “if” you need to change one.

Great to know about Accordance Desktop and Accordance Mobile. I’m curious to how Logos 10 runs on Apple Silicon now that it’s finally optimized.

Nota Bene is a little slow for me at times in their bottled version. I am using CrossOver 22 on my Intel Mac for a couple of weather and HAM radio apps. Good to know it works.

Great to know about Scrivener. Do you use Ulysses at all?

I love Mellel (been using it as my main word processor), but I love Nisus Writer Pro as well and use it over Word when sharing 99% of stuff. Only use Word for Mac for stuff that requires formatting parity. 

I’ll need video editing, so I’ll need a more powerful Mac, but it’s good to see the mini is this powerful for a baseline machine!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for reminding me about custom icons.

I have Logos 9. I don’t know if I will get a version 10 feature set or package. Version 9 on my M1 is definitely slower than on my 10th gen. i5 with M.2 SSD and 32 GB RAM. Logos on the M1 does need optimizing.

I’ve never used Ulysses. As it is, I rarely use Scrivener for writing. I mainly use it as a note-taking app for all the material things in my life, e.g., vehicles, implements, tools, appliances, maintenance schedules, hardware, software, etc. It has definitely freed up lots of time for Bible studies.

I was interested in the Studio, but I didn’t need that kind of power. What a nice machine though for everyone who does.

• Like 1

Yeah custom icons are great.

If you don’t need the new features of Logos, either wait for L10 Basic, or you could get the cheapest feature set just to have Apple Silicon Support. I did the Full Feature Set just to ensure I’m set for Apple Silicon, plus I got it decently cheap, but I wouldn’t have paid a whole lot for it.

Scrivener I use hit and miss. Mainly when writing academic papers. Ulysses I’m trying to get back into. I missed it during my time on Linux.

My next Mac will either be a Studio or if Apple does another iMac Pro, I’ll get it, unless I absolutely need to grab a Mac notebook for travel. Then that’ll be the Mac I get before my next desktop.