Tap for Details Idea

Brian W. Davidson

I know some of you have found the tap for instant details feature difficult because often it seems there is no part of the screen that you can tap without activating instant details. I turn the feature on and off, but I’m glad to have it.

Just wanted to pose this idea, something I’ve found helpful. I like having tap for instant details on when reading an original language text with vocabulary I have not mastered. In this scenario, one way to give yourself more tapable space to move throughout the UI without initiating instant details is to set the text display to separate verses with space.

Even with tap for instant details on, the space between the verses is tapable for toggling the UI.

B04C19C3-BFB3-423D-AC4B-341F020095A7.thumb.jpeg.41672a93c9aad665afe28f30d872b0a0.jpeg

• Like 2

Brian,

In addition to adding a space between verses, I wanted clarify the other ways to "tap without initiating ID" that I use.

For the following setup:

IMG_3915.thumb.PNG.497f755c1e4f7328eeaad13d292ec548.PNG

To dismiss an Instant Details view you can:

1. reTap on the same word
  2. tap on the header bar
  3. In the screenshot above, I typically have success tapping in the whitespace to the right of the words. (the left whitespace typically finds ID on the closest word)

To toggle the interface without any Instant Details view present then usually steps 2 or 3 above work.

Is this what you are seeing?

Mike

• Like 1

Mike, thanks so much. I have not had success tapping in the header, but tapping to the right does work consistently. That’s great!

• Like 1

With Hebrew however it seems I need to switch to the left side of the screen. And I’m afraid that doesn’t consistently work if the text goes all the way to the end of the line. For me putting a space between the verses is the only sure fire way to interact without having to carefully think about the interaction itself.

I appreciate you all adding the “tap the word to dismiss” feature, but toggling the UI seems a little challenging still. 

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

When I read on my phone I struggle to get to instant details. Instead, when I tap a word, everything useful is obscured by a dropdown menu of things I will NEVER do on a phone (i.e. copy, copy as, etc). This menu covers both the text and the instant details. Any way to turn off the menu (ideally permanantly, but even temporarily would be a cause of great rejoicing)?

• 5 months later...

I was struggling to bring up the menu around the outside edge, because my screen was filled with text, and everywhere I touch, instant details from a word would pop up! It may seem obvious to most, but this has been driving me crazy for a while. Glad I got on here and looked. It is as simple as shutting off the Instant Details in the settings. If you still want to use them, you can always highlight the word, and you will still get the ability to look things up, just not 'instantly' as the setting would suggest.