workspace not in library

Kristin

I created a workspace called Luke class OCT. I went to my library, yet it is not there. I do have a Luke class Oct 21, so I thought maybe it was acting odd again, so I closed it and in my documents renamed it to Luke class OCT22 and opened it again. I know it exists, as it is open, yet it is not showing in my library.

Any ideas?

Edited by Kristin
I had typed to quick to spell library correctly...

Are you using MacOS or Win11?

On Windows 11 for example, the installation folder that a Workspace is saved to is like follows:

C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Accordance Files\

image.png.55834f03f3ca1396327c7ecd1ce67097.png

I have experienced the same problem as you have and checked if my Workspace really did save or not.

Edited by cweber

Hi @cweber,

I am using a Mac. I can find the workspace in my documents on the Mac (similar to your screenshot), so I opened it from there, but even after doing so it is still not showing in the Accordance Library.

To make things confusing, Accordance appears to store defaults in another folder and it might have gone there.

image.png.5aa7deaa35b0ea11c9d563d617e9347a.png

If so, you can try copying it from there and pasting into the other folder where it should be.

However, I am never certain if this is my installation gone awry due to save weird set of circumstances during my first install. I do plan to reinstall it all on another computer to confirm what is a confirmed correct installation  :)

Edited by cweber

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

I created a workspace called Luke class OCT. I went to my library, yet it is not there. I do have a Luke class Oct 21, so I thought maybe it was acting odd again, so I closed it and in my documents renamed it to Luke class OCT22 and opened it again. I know it exists, as it is open, yet it is not showing in my library.

Any ideas?

No ideas, but just to add: I lost a Workspace recently that I know I saved. I didn't want to spend time looking through Finder and whatever possible locations, so I just found a recent autosaved session and restored it that way. Sounds like it could be a bug.

It was during this possible "bug" that I being unaware this occurred at the time, added separators into the library menu and completely broke Accordance. That was a painful experience at the time and took some time to recover stability from there.

@cweber, Thanks for the screenshot. I can find it there, but not in the actual Accordance Library. I can paste a screenshot which shows this.

@Abram K-J, I agree it is some sort of bug, as this is not the first time this has happened. I can't revert to an old backup since it was a new workspace.

I think this is related, so I will mention that importing User Bibles correctly is a real pain. I have my OT and NT split as two files, and if I upload one or the other, it is fine. However, if I try to combine them it literally takes 40 minutes. I open the ESV to Gen and add my OT, then try to connect it to the NT, but the NT is nowhere to be found. So then I open Mathew in the ESV and add my NT and try to connect it to the my OT, but it claims it does not exist. It obviously does as it is in my recents. The advice I got the last time was that it had not uploaded correctly, so I need to re-upload it, then again, then again, then again, and normally the 10th time is the charm.  It used to not be like this, now it is EVERY time I update my text. Here is the post in case it matters

1207244895_Bildschirmfoto2022-10-02um18_12_21.png.c706d8ea9a898a842db6f37c1a8e6361.png

If it smells and tastes like a bug then It most definitely looks like a bug :)

A user should not need to hold their tongue out a certain way to get a core function to operate correctly. This is what the IT industry call a negative user experience and this modern age it is referred to as a bug, even if technically it is not. The advent of Agile approaches in software development (twenty so years ago) has evolved to a point where features are delivered frequently and user experience is an important measure of success.

• Like 1

• Kristin changed the title to workspace not in library
15 minutes ago, Kristin said:

@Abram K-J, I agree it is some sort of bug, as this is not the first time this has happened. I can't revert to an old backup since it was a new workspace.

Hi, Kristin--I don't mean restore from backup, but restore by opening an autosaved session, as shown below. It doesn't fix the issue, but it was the quickest way I found to get back the workspace I'd lost.

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 9.37.44 PM.png

Hi @Abram K-J,

I see. In this case it happened to quick as I never actually worked with it. As you can see on my other screenshot, the workspaces are all really similar since I am starting with a workspace. So I started with Luke Class JULY, duplicated, made a small change, save as Luke Class OCT. Go to Library to move it to a quick icon at the top to replace Luke Class July, it is not in the library. So I go to where it is in my Documents on the computer and open it from there, save as Luke Class22, replace, open Library, still not there.

I don't like doing this since there is a logic to my file naming, but I think I will try to save it as a totally different name. I suspect the similar names are causing the issues (though it shouldn't...). I will try that and report back.

Ok, well that fixed it. I called it Luke Oct 22 and now it is showing in the library. I have had issues before with Notes having names which are not identical, but similar, and for some reason the program gets confused. There is some resource called "Gospel Parallels (Aland)". It is another one I can't find in the store as the name must have changed, but that is what it is in my library.

In efforts to split my Notes from my chronic Note issues, I created a note called "Gospels" yet EVERY time I tried to open my user note "Gospels" the program opened this "Gospel Parallels (Aland)" thing. What is interesting, is that it is not just not the same name, but my note had a plural S at the end, and this resource did not. I finally needed to rename my note something totally different which did not even contain the word gospel to get it to open.

So given that experience, I think it did not like how similar my name of Luke Class Oct22 had been, and I think that is a bug as similar names are not the same name.

Kristin

• Like 1

@Kristin I wonder whether Accordance recognises only the first few (15?) characters of a long resource name. It would be odd to do so, but it's not unheard of.

If it's a 15-character limitation, those 15 characters are used up one character short, in "Luke class OCT2", so ...OCT21 and ...OCT22 would not be distinguishable inside Accordance even though outside Accordance, both files exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

I wonder whether Accordance recognises only the first few (15?) characters of a long resource name

I have seen this occur in databases when the incorrect data type was defined, the data gets truncated.

Edited by cweber
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Kristin said:
8 hours ago, Kristin said:

I created a workspace called Luke class OCT. I went to my library, yet it is not there.

I've experienced this multiple times.  If you control-O (open file) you probably find it there.  If you do find it or need to recreate it.  Immediately go to toolbar workspace icon and 'add current workspace' and that will put it into the library.

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 09.34.34.png

• Delete
Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

8 hours ago, cweber said:

I have seen this occur in databases when the incorrect data type was defined, the data gets truncated.

Hi @Lawrence and @cweber,

That is really interesting and would explain a lot, and I do know from prior experience that the system will let you name things which are not allowed. A while ago to make a specific workspace sort of pop in my library, I named it with a wingding thinking that if it was not permitted the system would say, but it let me save it. This in fact did not work and it created a clone in my Mac documents, since the file on the computer in the background obviously cannot have a wingding. I don't remember how it was resolved apart from emailing Tech and they helped sort it out. So it is likely something like this.

@Paul Meiklejohn,

That is a good point and I had forgotten that as well. Since my workspaces are normally not "new" but I rather duplicate it, make a change, and then want to save it, I don't ever click "Add Workspace" since it just wants to write over my workspace. For example, if I have Luke Class JULY, duplicate, make changes, and click "Add Current Workspace" it will want to call it Luke Class July. I thus go to File --> Save As --> New Workspace name. THEN click Add Workspace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1