athemic verbs (μι-verbs)

Jonna Schmidt

Greetings

I was trying to do a search for athemic verbs in Accordance, and I can not figure out how to do this. 

I know how to open a Greek text, set to WORDS, pick VERBS -- but that provides EVERY VERB

I know that there are options such as: indicative, subjunctive, etc. 

BUT: how do I find an option for these athemic verbs?

Admittedly.... I have a copy of Dr. Mounce's Morphology -- great resource by the way!  And I can just look up my answer.

But that said, I would like to do my OWN search? Can this be done?  

Jonna

v-6a Athematic verbs that reduplicate to form their present tense stem (total: 😎

In order to find the verbal root from the present stem, cross out the reduplicated letters; the next consonant (or consonant cluster) and vowel are the root. μι verbs often have alternate forms in -άω or -άνω.

δίδωμι1 δώσω ἔδωκα2 δέδωκα3 δέδομαι ἐδόθην

ἵημι4 ἥσω ἧκα5 εἷκα6 ἕωμαι7 εἵθην

ἵστημι8 στήσω ἔστησα ἕστηκα9 ἔσταμαι ἐστάθην

κίχρημι10 - ἔχρησα - - -

ὀνίνημι11 - ὤνησα - - -

πίμπλημι12 - ἔπλησα - πέπλησμαι13 ἐπλήσθην14

πίμπρημι15 - ἔπρησα - - ἐπρήσθην16

τίθημι17 θήσω ἔθηκα18 τέθεικα19 τέθειμαι ἐτέθην20

William D. Mounce, The Morphology of Biblical Greek, Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1994), 314-316.

If I understand what you want, this should do it:

*μι @ [VERB]

Then use Analytics > Analysis to get the list of words.

Edited by mgvh

Thank you so much -- I need to do some refinement since the vast majority of HITS are related to EIMI.

I got it to work -- I now have a "concordance" WITHOUT the derivatives of ειμι. The search is

*μι@[VERB indicative] <NOT> εἰμί

• Like 1

Hey Jonna, this won’t give you what you want. Or at least not reliably exhaustively. 

what your search does is look for all verses that have a lexème ending in mi and then excluding all verses that have eimi in it. This will spuriously exclude all hits where there is an mi verb and eimi in the verse. 

i would suggest this as a search 

*mi@[verb]@-eimi

the @ operator connects the expression to the word before the @ symbol. And you can daisy chain these as I have above. 

because I am not a my Mac I can’t exclude eimi with the rough breathing. If I get to it later I will post an update. Hope that helps. 

if that explanation isn’t clear please come back to them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ken Simpson said:

what your search does is look for all verses that have a lexème ending in mi and then excluding all verses that have eimi in it. This will spuriously exclude all hits where there is an mi verb and eimi in the verse. 

i would suggest this as a search 

*mi@[verb]@-eimi

the @ operator connects the expression to the word before the @ symbol. And you can daisy chain these as I have above. 

Thanks Ken. This is a very helpful bit of information!