Dictionary search

eshane7

There is probably a way to do this, and I'm completely ignorant on how. So please educate me if there is a way.

I'm specifically talking about English word searches, not original language searches.

When I search for a word in a dictionary, I often like to check other dictionaries as well. I have about 20 dictionaries. If I look up the word "Bethel" in a dictionary, is there a way to know what other dictionaries is appears in? For example:

If I open Smith's Bible Dictionary and type in "Bethel" on the left hand side of the search bar, I can select the down arrow to switch dictionaries, but I have no idea if they contain the word "Bethel" so I have to click each one down through the list to see if the word is contained in that dictionary. 

There are probably a few different ways to do this same idea... so I'm all ears (or eyes since it is a forum, and I will be reading). Thank you for your help.

Just checking you're doing this on full size computer (not a tablet).

1. make sure 'live click' is on

2. click the word you want to look up.

3. this will give you the opportunity to filter the list to English dictionaries and will let you know if it's a title or an entry.

Screenshot 2022-09-23 at 16.07.29.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

Just checking you're doing this on full size computer (not a tablet).

Great point! Yes, I'm working on a computer, not a tablet.

'Live click' I didn't have that box checked. Thank you!

When I click a word, it searches in the texts for the original language word, not the English word. Also, it seems to only search texts. So apparently there are settings somewhere that I need to modify. I clicked the gear icon next to the 'live click' box, but I'm unsure of what settings in there to change. Thank you for this tip... I have a lot to learn about using Accordance. 

In the Accordance preferences you can configure Live Click. Search in preferences and select Live Click settings (or on the left side select Live Click).

• Like 1

Michael is quite right, you can customise settings.

And remember that you can create your own custom set of English dictionaries.

If you are unsure about changing settings, simply use shift-click it will give you English look up instead of the language lexicons.

Here is a copy of my settings to see what I have done.

Changes are made under Accordance / preferences from the menu bar or (command, (coma)).  Not the gear icon.

Screenshot 2022-09-23 at 16.51.30.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

Thanks for the help! Once I figured out how to make a custom group, this is now working like a charm. Been using Accordance for a while, and I'm still learning how to use it. 

I'm also curious if there are other ways of accomplishing this same task. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eshane7 said:

I'm also curious if there are other ways of accomplishing this same task. 

Control click the word / research / dictionaries 😊

• Like 1

Thanks! A simpler method, but I think I prefer the Live Click, now that I have it setup.