Czech Bible

Michael Cochran

I saw this topic on a Zulu Bible (here)

I didn't want to high-jack a thread so since my question was similar but different I've made a post here.

I was looking for a Bible in Czech, which only uses accents (as the primary difference) but sadly all that exists is a version from ~1600 BC(E) for the entire OT/NT and one by IBS (see here) and is under copyright (and only the NT). So I feel like I am in a bind since I am sure that negotiating rights with IBS over a Bible that no one really has a need for is a bit much and since it's under copyright I could only use it for private use by importing it myself (which seems very gray as far as legality goes).

So that is my prediciment.

My new Macbook arrives today :lol:

• Like 1

There are several Czech Bibles you can access through the Unbound Bible site. I don't know if any of them meet your requirements, and it's not the same as having them available in Accordance, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's helpful.

Lorinda

Thanks, but yeah having it in Accordance allows for offline access ;) (but that is a nice site thank you)

I guess hypothetically would a Bible import correctly if the numbering system were more like the Message than a standard text (since I know that the import is based around the KJV for simplicity).

Example: Matthew 5

[quote name='Matou

Edited by Michael Cochran

Well I tried to import it and unfortunately I could only use a .txt file which wouldn't recognize some of the Unicode font that was recognized in the RTF file. Is there any other option to import or is beyond the scope of the User Bible Import.

Thanks as always for the great product and great support!

At present you can only import .txt files, and Unicode characters are not accepted. We hope to rectify this in the future.

At present you can only import .txt files, and Unicode characters are not accepted. We hope to rectify this in the future.

Thanks, you can never really complain with Accordance, you people are always adding things in. Is unicode acceptalbe as a User tool? I mean it's not that greatest implimentation but a user-tool would at least offer me offline access and such. I assume that with the Hebrew/Greek that the unicode would be fine?

• Like 1

Accordance will convert pasted Greek and Hebrew, and probably the extra diacritical characters which are are in Unicode, into our own fonts in User Tools and Notes. So you can certainly try Czech, but I make no promises.

Hi Helen, I didn't know whether to send this directly to you or make a post. So I chose the later and will learn from my mistakes if I am wrong :).

I just found out (thanks to the wonderous Wikipedia) that there is a recent translation of the Bible into Czech. Something it looks like, akin to the NIV as far as modernizing the language. It's here, the NBK is the translation. They have a US contact on their contact page (I'll refrain from pasting that directly in here). But they seem pretty liberal with there copyright and so I was wondering if we could get that translation into Accordance.

I didn't know what to say if I did contact them, but I can certainly ask them if it's even possible but since you all (ya'll) know better than I do I'll just again ask!

Thanks again!

• Like 1

The problem is that I doubt we would have even one more user who would buy it, certainly not enough to justify the costs of licensing and converting the text.

The problem is that I doubt we would have even one more user who would buy it, certainly not enough to justify the costs of licensing and converting the text.

I assumed that was the case -- but though'd I'd ask.

• 7 years later...

Hi - here is one Czech user  :)

Actually, I've used Bibleworks for 17 years as they have a number of Czech translations. However, I like the native Mac application and would enjoy it with at least Bible kralická (an old, traditional version similar to KJV) and Czech Ecumenical translation (Copyright Czech Bible Society).

Any chance you would consider adding at least one of them? I'd volunteer to help - e.g. to approach Czech Bible Society or obtain the text of Bible kralická. 

Thx

• Like 2

Hi - here is one Czech user  :)

Actually, I've used Bibleworks for 17 years as they have a number of Czech translations. However, I like the native Mac application and would enjoy it with at least Bible kralická (an old, traditional version similar to KJV) and Czech Ecumenical translation (Copyright Czech Bible Society).

Any chance you would consider adding at least one of them? I'd volunteer to help - e.g. to approach Czech Bible Society or obtain the text of Bible kralická. 

Thx

+1

If you legally own an etext copy of the Bible and can save it as a text file, you can import it as a user Bible for your own use in Accordance. If it is in the public domain (no current copyright) you can also post it on our Accordance Exchange for other users to enjoy.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Here's one more user who would buy it! Our church has sent teams to the Czech every summer for the last 11-12 years, and it's driven me to pick up learning Czech myself. How many users would you need to license and convert it? What might the approximate cost be? I see new languages being added to the list frequently--hats off to Accordance for doing it--and would love to see this come through, too. In the meantime, I'll try some of the other workarounds. Thanks!

• Like 2

The Bible21 Czech version states the following on their website (http://www.bible21.cz/ke-stazeni/texty) with the text …

You are free to use and distribute the work under the following conditions:

1. Specify the author

2. Do not use the work commercially

3. Do not interfere with the work

For more details on the terms of use, click here: 
Creative Commons Provide Author - Do not Use the Work Commercially - Do Not Affect Works 3.0 Czech Republic .

I hope it's not too difficult to come to terms with these folks, should interest be sufficient. Thank you for considering! I'll put this into a Feature/Module Request as well.

• Like 1

I disagree.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Helen,

I just browsed through the list of international versions available in Accordance and even Latvia with population of less than 2 million is represented. I know, we're an atheistic country but I believe there would be some demand for either Mac or iOS app here.

I myself would also vote for Czech Ecumenical Translation. And I'd be more than happy to help you communicate with locals or possibly with text preparation (I'm an unlikely combination both computer science master and Bible scholar).

Best regards,

Michael Waloschek

Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren, Ostrava

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I disagree.

Greetings

Fabian

The more I think about it the more I disagree.

Yesterday I realized that in the forums are, only people which had a Bible from Accordance in their language. The numbers without are nearly not existent or only to vote for a Bible in their language. In general forum users with more than 20 post has also in minimum ONE Bible with Strongs in their language. I write general, because there are always exceptions to the rule. But the rule is exact!

Fabian