How to see LXX results of Hebrew search analysis?

Timothy Mast

So, I'm sure this is an existing feature, but I've searched through the help material and can't figure out how it's done...  I have a tagged Hebrew Bible and a tagged LXX and I want to do a word search in Hebrew and then be able to analyze the results using the equivalent Greek word rather than in English.  Can anyone point me toward some instructions on how to do this?  Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.16.04 AM.png

using the text command you can set up a search for חסד and find the corresponding LXX terms - in the search bar

[HMT-W4 =חֶסֶד־2] --you can then isolate your term- for example- (ελεος @ [HMT-W4 =חֶסֶד־2] )

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply.  I'm still having trouble.  I can search an English version like that but it doesn't allow me to search the LXX.  I think I need to be able to search the LXX in order to get the Greek in the analytics, is that right?416769097_ScreenShot2022-07-15at3_28_25PM.png.16a17881ef05b54cb056bdca60001ca5.png

when creating the text search, I choose the Hebrew text (HMT-w4) and then I insert text, and enter the lexical form for חסד as "lovingkindness" which is חסד–2. -- the LXX greek results should occur in the analytics - It will include a number of other parts that are included in the LXX translation of the Hebrew word, such as inseparable prepositions as well as pronominal suffixes.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 3.02.13 PM.png

Edited by mbcvida
added picture

Well, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong!  Your results look good, but I can't replicate it.  I just get the error message below. (The search results in the background are from a previous search for hesed in the MT.)

143074538_ScreenShot2022-07-15at9_19_16PM.png.02054138ee336752a743c6ff7d6807e0.png

make sure that the lexical form you are searching is the noun 'lovingkindness' and not the verb 'to be kind' - 

You should be able to run this search with a simple text command and the two texts HMT-W4 and LXX1 — try it with a different word to see if it works

Yes, the Text command is the way to do this search, but something needs to provide the link between the Hebrew and the Greek, something that says which word in one language corresponds to a word in the other. It's the same reason the Text command only works with English translations that have been key-number tagged. That tagging provides the link between the English and the Hebrew/Greek. In this case, the MT-LXX parallel database is the link.

thanks for the clarification Jonathan - so the text command for the LXX1/HMT-w4 is based on the MT-LXX parallel - is that correct?

58 minutes ago, mbcvida said:

thanks for the clarification Jonathan - so the text command for the LXX1/HMT-w4 is based on the MT-LXX parallel - is that correct?

Yes

Ah, yes, that interlinear will work too. Sorry, I forgot about that option.

One approach that I have used for decades is driving the whole process from LXX searches. Prior to the Hebrew Syntax option this allowed me to modify constraints on the search field [1] in Greek which were not historically available in Hebrew searches. This is a simple approach for people who might fined Hebrew Syntax searching intimidating. Obviously you must be proficient in both languages and have the ability to navigate the Hebrew/Greek transformations.

[1] search field:  sentence, clause, verse, paragraph, book, chapter

This morning I used this to look for καὶ ἐγένετο in PLACE 1 and then altered the search field to find the Hebrew equivlent in different positions in the Hebrew text.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew