Searching for words starting with lamed "to"

Bielikov

In my construct window I have added under LEX. *ל=. It makes no difference in the search if I put a Shewa under the lamed or not. If I put a different nikkud, such as a hiriq or pataj, I get an error message. The whole Hebrew Construct window appears as follows. First column to the right, PARTICLE preposition. Below that LEX is *ל=. Second column, NOUN. I have them attached with a Within = 1. Any help would be appreciated for looking for particles such as לְ ב צ followed by a noun. Thanks.

6 hours ago, Bielikov said:

It makes no difference in the search if I put a Shewa under the lamed or not.

Used your specification, the presence/absence of Shewa made a big difference. Not surprised since I am using an entirely different platform. I would suggest you try searching for the single consonant prepositions (without pointing and without = or *) followed by noun within 1 word. Setup a different search for more complex prepositions. 

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew
  • Like 1

I look forward to trying that, thanks. 

To capture the rest of the prepositions followed immediately by a noun, you duplicate the workspace and add a NOT to the single consonant prepositions list. This will find everything excluding what you already found. Note that there are always loose ends that need to be noticed. The preposition מן  מִ requires a vowel point so it can be either included with the inseparables or with the others.  This doesn't require any action since the prefixed מן  מִ samples will show up in the second search workspace.

Thanks so much for your help. I get the general idea but was not able to do this as I am doing something that is not right. Could you please take a screen shot or two? That would really help me. Many thanks!

These are the construct windows (Acc 9.6.8) the only difference is the NOT (negation) function has been applied to the LEX box in Hebrew Construct 2. The LEX box is filled with  ב.כ,ל the three single consonant prepositions also known as inseparable prepositions. This will need to be translated into Accord 13.x format. After you duplicate the Workspace you will need to link the search pane to Hebrew Construct 2.

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 6.46.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 6.48.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 6.56.05 PM.png

• Like 1

Wow, thanks so much!

These diagrams will really help me out and I am so grateful that you took the time to send me all these details. I will be trying these out. (I just finished, before reading your post, collecting words with the interrogative ה and the preposition מן. I did pretty well with that, but found that I could not ask for specific nikkud, such as segol, pataj, etc. I need to know how to do that).

Many, many, many, many thanks!

Ok, so there are some conventions that help us here (Accordance conventions - not Hebrew ones).

The = sign gives us a specific lemma and if one lemma has different vowel pointings than another then it excludes the lemma with a different vowel point (compare הר to 

הַר= and הֹר=

However, if the vowel changes due to following syllables, then the changed vowel will be ignored, since it is ONLY looking for the exact lemma.

To include the precise vowel pointings, you need to enclose the search with inverted commas.

So if you search for לְ= you will get 20432 hits, but many of the hits are lamedh with a patach or qametz,. or hireq or tsere, seghol etc.

To restrict your results to just those with (say) a hireq then surround it with quotes. "לִ="

This gives you all the inseperable lamedh prepositions that have lamedh hireq. 2610 hits.

You only need the * if you are looking for longer lemmas as well as the single lamedh words.

This is not using the construct window, though you could. It's just in the search bar.

Does that make sense?

Happy to help with thinking this through if you can explain precisely what you are looking for.

Thanks Peter.

@Peter, could you explain how to search for vowel points without a consonant? I was under the impression that the keys to to the tagged Hebrew texts were tokens made up of consonants (with/without markings ?) which constitute a word . So to search for a vowel it has to be associated with a consonant. Furthermore you cannot search for a consonant string unless it is a word or * is attached to the consonant string and the pattern  <consonant string>* matches one or more words/tokens.

To illustrate the idea of searching for tokens/words you cannot search for an article noun pair "הַשָּׁמָיִם=" it must be broken into tokens "הַ =שָּׁמָיִם=" because the lookup keys are tokenized along word boundaries. And pronominal suffixes are considered separate words. This fact creates confusion. People who think they are defining a string search of a "flat file" might have some trouble wrapping their mind around this. 

Even more mysterious is the manner in which vowels and other markings are handled in the search. There is nothing intuitive about it. If the tagged Hebrew is based on a text of consonants, where do the other symbols come from? I have looked at old Accordance documents back to the beginning and the ACC 6.4 Grammatical Supplement was somewhat helpful but it is old.

14 hours ago, c. stirling bartholomew said:

If the tagged Hebrew is based on a text of consonants, where do the other symbols come from? I have looked at old Accordance documents back to the beginning and the ACC 6.4 Grammatical Supplement was somewhat helpful but it is old.

Since the default Accordance search is consonantal, only the Hebrew letters
are used; therefore, the dagesh, vowel pointing, cantillation marks, and
ending forms of letters are ignored.

Page G3-5 ACC 6.4 Grammatical Supplement

I now see that this does not actually say anything about either the contents or structure of the tagged Hebrew OT module.

Thanks for all the help. For some reason I was not able to post this last week.