SALE! New Titles from Ancient Faith + Zondervan Red Tag (including Word Biblical Commentary!)

This week, don't miss introductory pricing on NEW titles from ANCIENT FAITH PUBLISHING + our ZONDERVAN RED TAG SALE with 50% off Word Biblical Commentary and many other discounts on essential titles for your personal Accordance Bible Software Library!

ย 

ANCIENT FAITH LIFE & THOUGHT
๐Ÿ†• De Young, Religion of the Apostles: Orthodox Christianity in the First Centuryโ€”$11.99
๐Ÿ†• Constantinou, Thinking Orthodox: Understanding & Acquiring the Orthodox Christian Mindโ€”$12.99
๐Ÿ†• Damick, Orthodoxy & Heterodoxy: Finding the Way to Christ in a Complicated Religious Landscapeโ€”$16.99
๐Ÿ†• Engleman, Ultimate Things: An Orthodox Christian Perspective on the End Timesโ€”$9.49
๐Ÿ†• Mathis, The Rest of the Bible: A Guide to the Old Testament of the Early Churchโ€”$7.99
๐Ÿ†• Ancient Faith Life & Thought Bundle (all five volumes above)โ€”$53.99

ย 

50% OFF WORD BIBLICAL COMMENTARY
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Word Biblical Commentary (61 volumes)โ€”$599.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Word Biblical Commentary: NT (25 volumes)โ€”$299.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Word Biblical Commentary: OT (36 volumes)โ€”$399.99

ย 

APOLOGETICS AND FAITH
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Christian Apologetics: An Anthology of Primary Sourcesโ€”$20.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Grudem, Politics According to the Bible: A Comprehensive Resource for Understanding Modern Political Issues in Light of Scriptureโ€”$20.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Strobel, The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianityโ€”$9.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Strobel, The Case for Christ: A Journalist's Personal Investigation of the Evidence for Jesusโ€”$9.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Moreland & Wilkins, Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesusโ€”$7.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Rudolph & Millitts, Introduction to Messianic Judaism: Its Ecclesial Context & Biblical Foundationsโ€”$12.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Tucker, From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya: A Biographical History of Christian Missionsโ€”$20.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ McKnight, The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisitedโ€”$10.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Journeys of Faith: Evangelicalism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholicism & Anglicanismโ€”$8.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Rae, Moral Choices: An Introduction to Ethicsโ€”$18.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Tucker, Parade of Faith: A Biographical History of the Christian Churchโ€”$18.99

ย 

COUNSELING & BIBLICAL STUDIES
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Adams, Competent to Council: Introduction to Nouthetic Counselingโ€”$10.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Adams, Theology of Christian Counseling: More than Redemptionโ€”$10.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counselingโ€”$11.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Lockyer, All the Men of the Bibleโ€”$6.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Lockyer, All the Women of the Bibleโ€”$6.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Fruit of the Spirit Bible Studiesโ€”$14.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ McKnight, The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bibleโ€”$8.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Warren, The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church is Big in God's Eyesโ€”$11.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Keller, Center Church: Doing Balanced, Gospel-Centered Ministry in Your Cityโ€”$17.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ NIV Student Bibleโ€”$8.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Devotions on the Greek New Testament, Vol 1โ€”$7.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Devotions on the Greek New Testament, Vol. 2โ€”$8.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Devotions on the Hebrew Bibleโ€”$7.99
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฝ Cowman, Streams in the Desertโ€”$6.99

ย 

For more information, please see this week's sale page!

ย 

Sale Prices Valid through 11:59 PM (EDT) Monday, June 27, 2022.
ย 

I am intrigued by this idea that the understanding of canon is different in the East and West, but I don't think the video accurately reflects the Catholic understanding of the deuterocanon when it describes it as a "secondary canon" that is somehow not as inspired. So I wish to explain more accurately what Catholics mean by this.

ย 

"[These] books . . .ย are generally known among Catholic critics as deutero-canonical, not because their authority is at all inferior to that of the other Scriptures, but because their place in the canon was established after that of the other books" ("Canon of the Scripture," inย William E. Addis and Thomas Arnold, A Catholic Dictionary [New York: 1887], 107โ€“108).

ย 

Another dictionary defines "deuterocanonical" as "those books (and parts of books) of the Old Testament whose inclusion in the Catholic canon was disputed at one time: . . . The term 'deuterocanonical' (from the Greek for 'second canon') was first used by the Dominican Sixtus of Siena (d. 1569). Books regarded as canonical with little or no debate were called 'protocanonical' (from the Greek for 'first canon').

"The Catholic Church accepts both the protocanonical and deuterocanonical books as divinely inspired and canonical and treats them with the same reverence" ("Deuterocanonical," inย Scott Hahn, ed., Catholic Bible Dictionary [Doubleday, 2009], 213).

ย 

This is a historical distinction. When teaching documents list the canonical books, they make no such distinction, as at the Council of Trent (accord://read/Council_of_Trent#38) or in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (accord://search/C._Catechism-E;Catechism_Number?120).

ย 

The idea of canonicity is also related to the liturgy in Catholic thought, and not just in the East:ย "The liturgy is the natural environment, so to speak, of the canon. The primary purpose of the canon is to distinguish those books that, because they are inspired, are suitable for public reading in the liturgy, and thus for public instruction in the teachings of the Church" ("Canon of the Bible," in Scott Hahn, ed., Catholic Bible Dictionary [Doubleday, 2009], 137). We find this principle expressed by local councils in the fourth (accord://read/CF-NPN2#83613) and fifth centuries (accord://read/CF-NPN2#86897). So it is not surprising to find both Catholics and Orthodox using it.ย Conversely, in antiquity, canonicity was argued from the fact that churches received books for reading in the liturgy (cf. Augustine:ย accord://read/CF-NPN1#9792).

ย 

Edited by jlm
Missing word
  • Like 2

Having watched the video (thanks) prompted these purely personal comments from an Anglican.

ย 

i went back to the second and third books i refer to most after the bible, ie 'Common Worship' and the CofE liturgical commission CW supplement, 'Times and Seasons'. Its interesting that they list as Apocrypha (i am so hoping we get the Jewish Annotated Apocrypha in accordance soon) but below shows ย a good representation of readings that are included in the common worship lectionary.ย 
ย 

ever since my university days, i predominantly used the Jerusalem bible as it was recommended and used by all my Catholic friends (though i was also presented with a copy on being licensed by the bishop) before moving to nrsv, tev and niv in accordance because these translations are most commonly used in the churches i worship in. In the editors forward of the JB there are references to the second vatican council and dominican biblical school in jerusalem which led to the original translation in French.
ย 

Index of JB is shown below showing how these books are arranged in a dead tree version together with cw and t&s references. The page numbers in CW help me quickly find which service they are used in. I find this index incredibly helpful for preparing services as i can see when other readings have been used when they are not chronologically used in services and you can easily see if the readings are used in multiple services.
ย 

(I also missed not having the 'standard/ study' version of the jb in accordance but have more than enough study bibles these days.)

13488D93-800D-40CC-9D71-4D85B4EE7041.jpeg

1C6C5017-A1BE-45E1-ACE9-75BB7BCB1EE6.jpeg

7154A158-04C7-4D53-8736-219B70D5D91B.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 11:14 AM, jlm said:

...but I don't think the video accurately reflects the Catholic understanding of the deuterocanon when it describes it as a "secondary canon" that is somehow not as inspired. So I wish to explain more accurately what Catholics mean by this...

ย 

Please know we didn'tย purposefully misrepresent the Catholic position. @jlm, your response is so nicely done, I believe I will add a link to it in our Vimeo and YouTube postings.ย 

Last chance for introductory discounts on new Accordance releases from Ancient Faith + Zondervan Red Tag Specials. All special pricing ends at midnight EDT tonight!
ย 
ย 

1 hour ago, R. Mansfield said:

ย 

Please know we didn'tย purposefully misrepresent the Catholic position. @jlm, your response is so nicely done, I believe I will add a link to it in our Vimeo and YouTube postings.ย 

I didnโ€™t think you did it on purpose. If I had to explain differences between East and West, I might well say something of the Orthodox that isnโ€™t true, or is true of only some of them.