Jump to content

Apple Ventura and Stage manager


Paul Meiklejohn
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It looks look like Apple's new Stage Manager will be a bit a game changer in the way of desktop workflow. At present its probably only designed for individual apps.  However, I can see real advantages in the future in being able to quickly access different Accordance workspaces.  

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be so cool!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

It looks look like Apple's new Stage Manager will be a bit a game changer in the way of desktop workflow. At present its probably only designed for individual apps.  However, I can see real advantages in the future in being able to quickly access different Accordance workspaces.  

 

I haven't caught up on the developer sessions to see if Stage Manager allows for multiple windows of the same app, but given they have supported multi-window app support for a couple generations now, I imagine it does which is very interesting.  Just generally, Stage Manager may actually make the iPad a much more productive device overall and allow me to not immediately go for the laptop.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

... but given they have supported multi-window app support for a couple generations now, I imagine it does

 

Rich, the thought went through my mind that that might be the case...  I made the assumption based on their short intro which only previewed apps.  I now wait with bated breath. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello

Something else to note Apple is shifting away from Passwords to PassKeys.

Will this make a change to the Accordance log in?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

 

Rich, the thought went through my mind that that might be the case...  I made the assumption based on their short intro which only previewed apps.  I now wait with bated breath. 🙂 

Hi Paul,

I have Ventura on my MBP and Stage Manager does support multiple instances of the same app, and on different "windows".  Eg you can have an Accordance workspace in one group with Pages for example, and then another accordance workspace in a different group of apps and flip between the two.

 

John

 

Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 09.09.41.png

Edited by Dataduffy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dataduffy said:

Hi Paul,

I have Ventura on my MBP and Stage Manager does support multiple instances of the same app, and on different "windows".  Eg you can have an Accordance workspace in one group with Pages for example, and then another accordance workspace in a different group of apps and flip between the two.

 

John

 

 

 

They demo'ed this on a Mac during the Keynote but not on an iPad — but hopefully it will work similarly.  The primary issue is that on iPad, apps can't by default run in multiple windows unless the developer has specifically enabled it — and most have not (such as Accordance on iPad).  So this would still require individual developer attention to enable.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rich said:

 

They demo'ed this on a Mac during the Keynote but not on an iPad — but hopefully it will work similarly.  The primary issue is that on iPad, apps can't by default run in multiple windows unless the developer has specifically enabled it — and most have not (such as Accordance on iPad).  So this would still require individual developer attention to enable.

Hi Rich

you are absolutely right. It does work exactly the same on the iPad Pro, but only on apps that already allowed multiple copies to be running. 

The screen shot shows safari open in two groups on my iPad, but can't be done with Accordance obviously.

Being honest, I find it really useful on the iPad (email, excel etc.), but not so useful on the Mac. I do the majority of my work from an iPad Pro.

 

 

 

IMG_1154.thumb.jpeg.342413ec81ab37b9cd8fd65c17db48a5.jpeg

Edited by Dataduffy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rich said:

 

They demo'ed this on a Mac during the Keynote but not on an iPad — but hopefully it will work similarly.  The primary issue is that on iPad, apps can't by default run in multiple windows unless the developer has specifically enabled it — and most have not (such as Accordance on iPad).  So this would still require individual developer attention to enable.

Please make a feature request. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies everyone... I'm so glad that different documents (and workspaces) can be used in Stage Manager.  It will definitely change how I interact with with Accordance.  Now, if only Accordance iOS will eventually be able to run multiple copies then we would have so much versatility to switch modules in an instant.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Don’t forget Stage Manager is limited to M1 iPads, so those of us with A-Series chip iPads are out of luck.

 

Passkeys would be interesting to see for Accordance accounts, but I’m wondering how useful passkeys are going to be in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...