Analytical Greek New Testament (AGNT) Project

Fabian

Hello 

I would love to see the AGNT https://www.agntproject.net/analytical-greek-new-testament-agnt-project in Accordance. For me and as the users from BW are familiar with it. I guess it would be a good addition and attract the users of BW to come to Accordance. Similar with the Leedy diagrams.

Please consider to acquire this resource.

Thank

Fabian

• Like 1

I suppose that this is not the old analytical (Bagster?) as your project began in the 1970s.  I took a look at your link & found unintelligible abbreviations, not doubt explained in the introduction to the book (which we would hope if Accordance instals this module, Accordance would include.  Is it my imagination, or does Accordance (for some unknown reason), like to omit introductions and appendices to its book modules???  Speaking of abbreviations, what does BW mean?  Also I don't know what Leedy diagrams are.  But I will probably support your request.  However, could you please explain what this analytical lexicon does that Instant Details does not already do?

Speaking of the need for Analytical Lexicon (or instant details), back when I was in Bible College our teacher solemnly pontificated the great evils of using analyticals, as they would be a crutch impeding one's acquisition of Greek prowess.   I felt I must obey the teacher, thinking of her as part of the governments ordained by God (as I also thought of the research paper rules of the school: if you make more than 3 errors typing a page, you must retype the whole thing, etc.) -- instead of thinking of her as a servant I had hired to help me learn Greek!  So I would not use an analytical nor consult an English Bible in preparing my Greek assignment to translate a passage each day.  (And an interlinear would have sent me to the Lake of Fire!)   Why that would be cheating!  (I would not be like any cheaters who might just memorize the verses in the ASV so as not to be embarrassed on recitation in class.)   So it took me forever to learn verses in Greek.  For the lexicons gave the lexeme for head word, which might not have much resemblance to the actual word in the text; but if you knew a suppletive form, you would likely not need the lexicon to begin with!  So I spent huge amounts of time, frustrated

in not being able to find the word I was looking up in the lexicon.  One day I came across a very difficult word, namely ἕν .  Now you could look at Bauer (Ardnt-Gingrich) for months & not find ἕν, as it is the neuter of εἷς ( ἕντ + s  + compensatory lengthening =  εἷς) principles of assimilation at work (which I don't think our (ignorant?) teacher or grammar text even hinted at).  So after wasting an hour hunting for the word in the Lexicon (in vain), I asked a professor who was on foot what the word meant.  Then he told me it meant one.   Eventually when I myself became a Greek teacher, I told my students to come to class prepared & use whatever devices they wanted, interlinear or anything else.  

3 minutes ago, Enoch said:

Is it my imagination, or does Accordance (for some unknown reason), like to omit introductions and appendices to its book modules??? 

In the past i have seen a comment that accordance use the files they are supplied with. So if the introduction is missing, they didnt get the file from the publisher.

i dont know if they have a check list of things to do but would hope that nowadays checks were made to ensure they have everything and to chase the publisher for introductions etc before its made live and have a process to follow up if they are not received promptly. (I have spent years implementing procedures for a software developer to ensure that the software is fully validated prior to release.)

We had to wait for ages for the intro to the nrsv and still waiting on others, though the publishers have been chased now.

Thanks for the explanation, Fraser.  I hope that now it is May, you are enjoying some beautiful days of sunlight in the UK!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

In the past i have seen a comment that accordance use the files they are supplied with. So if the introduction is missing, they didnt get the file from the publisher.

i dont know if they have a check list of things to do but would hope that nowadays checks were made to ensure they have everything and to chase the publisher for introductions etc before its made live and have a process to follow up if they are not received promptly. (I have spent years implementing procedures for a software developer to ensure that the software is fully validated prior to release.)

We had to wait for ages for the intro to the nrsv and still waiting on others, though the publishers have been chased now.

ASV Preface for example is missing in the Notes. And I guess there are more. I don't know all by heart.

Edited by Fabian