Samaritan Pentateuch SAMAR-T: What Source Was Used?

Kyle Young

Hi,

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the Samaritan Pentateuch from Accordance or Logos. Accordance says that the text was taken from that "preserved by the Samaritan community" (https://accordancebible.com/product/samaritan-pentateuch-hebrew-tagged/), which does not provide sufficient information for academic purposes. In contrast, Logos states that their version was taken specifically from "August von Gall’s Der Hebräische Pentateuch der Samaritaner" [redacted]. Can someone please tell me what edition or MS was used for Accordance's SP?

The Lord Bless You,

Kyle

From “about this text”

SAMARITAN PENTATEUCH TAGGED

Samaritan Pentateuch (grammatically tagged) (SAMAR-T)

Edited according to MS 6 (C) of the Shekhem Synagogue

by Abraham Tal  ©1994

Used by permission.

Grammatical tagging by Martin Abegg and Casey Toews

(See the file “SAMAR-T - Read me first” for more details.)

Tagging copyright © 2010 OakTree Software, Inc.

I don’t have a copy of the SAMAR-T read me to share. Sorry. 

@Mark Allison  should I have it? It’s not in my read-me collection. 

Edited by Ken Simpson

7 hours ago, Ken Simpson said:

I don’t have a copy of the SAMAR-T read me to share. Sorry. 

@Mark Allison  should I have it? It’s not in my read-me collection. 

It's all in the regular "Accordance Module Info."

Here is the full contents of that section:

SAMAR-T: Important Notes for the Samaritan Pentateuch

November, 2006

Source Text

The Samaritan Pentateuch text is based upon the text published in the book:

The Samaritan Pentateuch: Edited According to MS 6 (C) of the Shekhem Synagogue

by Abraham Tal  (Tel Aviv University, 1994)

Certain editorial and text updates have been made from the printed text under the supervision of the author.  In particular, certain diacritic marks in the printed text do not appear in the electronic text.

Editorial Notation

Some of the manuscript editorial notation has been modified for presentation in the Accordance software.  A summary of the editorial notation used follows:

Single brackets < > denote correction of obvious scribal errors.

Square brackets [ ] denote the addition of material from other reliable manuscripts (except for aleph and beth in brackets which denote verse subdivisions).

Braces { } denote the redundant readings in the manuscript.

Up arrows ^ ^ denote words and letters between the lines of the manuscript.

Double braces {{ }} denote scribal erasures, usually followed by corrections

Double brackets << >> denote scribal corrections, usually following erasures but also including marginal readings.

The exclamation mark in parentheses (!) denotes a scribal error in the preceding word, but is left as is.

In this electronic edition the bracketing has been modified to conform to the print edition of the manuscript. The brackets document small insertions in the main manuscript. The large fragments that do not presently belong to Shekhem 6 are:

1. Gen. 1:1-11a St. Petersburg 177, from ‏בראשית‎ to ‏זרע‎.

2. Gen. 1:11b-3:24 Cambridge 714, from ‏ועץ‎ to ‏החיים‎.

3. Gen. 4:1-12:4a Bodley Sam c2, from ‏והאדם‎ to ‏לוט‎.

4. Gen. 12:4b - Deut. 31:14a Sheckhem 6, from ‏ואברם‎ to ‏למות‎.

5. Deut. 31:14b-30 Torino (one folio in Kahle’s library), from ‏קרא‎ to ‏תמם‎.

6. Deut. 32:1-29 BL Or. 5036, from ‏האזינו‎ to ‏לאחריתם‎.

7. Deut. 32:30–33:1a Sheckhem 6, from ‏איך‎ to ‏ישראל‎.

8. Deut. 33:1b-34:12 Princeton Library, Garrett Collection, from ‏לפני‎ to ‏ישראל‎.

Of these manuscripts, 2-3 and 5-8 were originally part of Shekhem 6 but have been separated over time for various reasons.

For more detail see the English and Hebrew forwards to “The Samaritan Pentateuch: Edited According to MS 6 (C) of the Shekhem Synagogue.”

The grammatical tagging was done by Martin G. Abegg, Jr. and Casey A. Toews.

The grammatical tagging was done in consultation with the concordance edited by Z. Ben-Hayyim (‏מלי תורה‎. Vol. 4 of ‏עברית וארמית נוסח שומרון. Jerusalem: The Academy of the Hebrew Language, 1977).

As such, the tagging reflects the true Samaritan vocalization of the text. This includes the recognition of the Piel B, Nifal B, Hitpael B, Qal B, Piel B Passive, Piel Passive and Hifal Passive verbal stems, as well as recognition of other Samaritan features, such as the absence of waw-consecutive and the absence of infinitive absolute. In order to allow this module to be searchable with BHS-W4, QUMRAN, MISH-T, INSCRIP, and INSNW, lemma spellings agree with the Tiberian vocalization as recorded in “The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament” (Koehler–Baumgartner). However, in cases of significant morphological variance, new lemma spelling were introduced as recorded in the concordance edited by Z. Ben-Hayyim.

For any corrections or questions about this module, please contact Casey A. Toews at:

casey.toews@twu.ca

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R. Mansfield said:

1. Gen. 1:1-11a St. Petersburg 177, from ‏בראשית‎ to ‏זרע‎.

2. Gen. 1:11b-3:24 Cambridge 714, from ‏ועץ‎ to ‏החיים‎.

3. Gen. 4:1-12:4a Bodley Sam c2, from ‏והאדם‎ to ‏לוט‎.

4. Gen. 12:4b - Deut. 31:14a Sheckhem 6, from ‏ואברם‎ to ‏למות‎.

5. Deut. 31:14b-30 Torino (one folio in Kahle’s library), from ‏קרא‎ to ‏תמם‎.

6. Deut. 32:1-29 BL Or. 5036, from ‏האזינו‎ to ‏לאחריתם‎.

7. Deut. 32:30–33:1a Sheckhem 6, from ‏איך‎ to ‏ישראל‎.

8. Deut. 33:1b-34:12 Princeton Library, Garrett Collection, from ‏לפני‎ to ‏ישראל‎.

Should not the verse refs link to the correct module instead of only the default text?

I would love if the "About this text" had active links. (BTW a feature request I had done in the past), but now also to the part of the Read-Mes.

Thanks