TPT Modules on Accordance 2022/ NIV removals in real time

HB Christo

Review of The Psalms (The Passion Translation)" by Andrew G. Shead at http://themelios.thegospelcoalition.org/article/burning-scripture-with-passion-a-review-of-the-psalms-passion-translation , and, even more troubling,

"Here's Why Christians Should Be Concerned About The Passion Translation of the Bible " by Alisa Childers at https://www.alisachilders.com/blog/heres-why-christians-should-be-concerned-about-the-passion-translation-of-the-bible , especially, "Simmons claims that Jesus visited him personally, took him to the library of heaven, and asked him to write the translation. He claims to have received 'downloads,' and 'secrets of the Hebrew language' from Jesus Himself [simmons says these things at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmnZYEteXX8&t=966s , from about 14:05 on.]. Simmons even admitted that he has minimal background in biblical languages and needed the Lord's help to translate," with accompanying references and links.

The above is what I would describe as playing the man and not the ball. Contrast and compare with the behaviour of Zondervan/ Newscorp regarding the NIV and I think we’ll find a clear double standard regarding the latest NIV downloads.

We need all versions of NIV, TPT and all the politics of why certain Scriptures are removed without notice (in real time/ dates/ explanations) or a right-to-refuse the latest NIV downloads from NewsCorp … the next owners.

Good bereans don’t name/shame re inspiration, they go verse-by-verse.

Please release the TPT asap, Accordance is solid, and let the reader decide. Thankyou.

Edited by HB Christo
  • Like 1

Hi @HB Christo

Welcome to the forums.

I’m not seeing what the connection here is with the NIV and Zondervan? Is it that Zondervan have removed the NIV 1984 and TNIV from digital circulation?

The context of discussion so far on these forums has been that some wish TPT to be available in Accordance and others object to it being available because of the underlying translation process/philosophies.

I believe that Accordance is investigating making it available despite the controversy surrounding it. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The hold up on TPT - The Passion Translation - compared to the blank cheque written regarding recent and flagrantly deceptive practices of Newscorp/ Zondervan/ Biblica re NIV84 c. 2022 are in view.

Need we look much further than Bible Gateway's limp answer, or the threats from Biblica regarding NIV84 and enforcing NIV2011, despite the controversy clearly in view. (see below from bible megasite)

Compared to this corporate bullying, fraud and intellectual dishonesty regarding the 2011 translator's sarcastic enforcement; The Passion Translation/ Translator comes up smelling like a rose. Eugene Peterson's The Message, in principle, is no different, and be cause of no less/ more controversy.

Clearly a halt has been placed on the TPT, whilst the NIV has become a public plaything. Did the zeal shown against TPT come against the NIV for taking over the favoured 1984 translation, or is this the special treatment for Brian Simmons ? At least we can see who he is.

Whilst the politics behind scrubbing NIV84 are obvious (and a stubborn a lack of deliverance in the church), the readers have rights too. Especially now with the internet/ Fair Use, there is simply no excuse; including corporate censorship. Fair Use is given little- to-zero voice in the matter. Has any other translation received this kind of short shrift in the history of translations?

At least the NKJV Translators had the sense not to hunt down every copy of the KJV and burn it. That's a Netflix doco right there someone...

"Fair Use/ Education Purposes", same with Youtube videos using orphan works, is the exact same principle clearly ignored here. Why don't some of these anti-TPT zealots get to work flagging Zondervan's behaviour against the readers, or do we need to go to the EFF for some justice here?

Copyright only goes so far, then it's public property. That's it, for the moment.

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 8.57.03 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 9.18.39 PM.png

Edited by HB Christo

1 hour ago, HB Christo said:

Eugene Peterson's The Message, in principle, is no different, and be cause of no less/ more controversy.

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. As far as I know, Rev. Peterson never claimed to have received secrets of the biblical languages via direct revelation that he then used to produce The Message. That claim appears to be a major factor in the controversy surrounding TPT.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to break up the fun, but I think I'm going to tie up this discussion in a little bow because it's a bit off topic for our forums and starting to skirt forum guidelines

• R. Mansfield locked this topic