Possible Works to add to Accordance

Pastor Jonathan

The church I am part of is very much a musical church. While I myself have not been gifted with any musical abilities beyond hitting play on a player or the net, my appreciation for good songs with very solid Theology is always a positive and desired. 

But what I notice here on Accordance, is that there is a very big absence of Hymns and Songs. Believers of God have always been those who use songs and praise to glorify God. 

I would love to see some of these songs be part of the Accordance framework. When you do a search for a verse, a category titled, "Songs, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs" would pop up in resources and songs connected to that verse would be shown. 

My church has some very old hymns from our founders who come from Ana-Baptist, Pietist traditions. The oldest I have found so far is from 1842 or 3! Right now I am working on digitizing a hymnbook from 1874 and the songs are absolutely breathtaking. One section in and I am dealing with God and His Being and Attributes!

Yes the book is very old and I cannot run it through a scanner so I am having to type the verses out as I go. 

Since this is before the 1888 time frame, it is public domain. Would Accordance be interested in maybe setting up a category like this where those who use Accordance not only get the Word but they also get good songs with depth and meaning in connection? 

For example: Here is one song titled "God Unchangeable". 

1. Shall e’er the shadow of a change Eclipse the origin of light? Or can the hopes which truth has rais’d, Lie buried in eternal night?

2. Sooner may nature’s laws reverse, Revolving seasons cease their round; Nor spring appear in blooming pride, Nor autumn be with plenty crown’d:

3. Yon shining orbs forget their course, The sun his destin’d path forsake; And nature lose her rapid force Before our God a change can make.

4. Earth may with all her works dissolve, (if such her great Creator's will); But HE for ever is the same. I AM! Is His memorial still.

So, for this example, if someone were to search for Malachi 3:6, this song would come up in the resources after doing the research in all. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 3

You can actually do this now! I added "Hymn Lyrics" to "My Toolset" in the Info Pane, and it will display any hymn that is associated with a particular Bible reference.

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 2.56.13 PM.png

• Like 4

On 4/8/2022 at 2:58 PM, Mark Allison said:

You can actually do this now! I added "Hymn Lyrics" to "My Toolset" in the Info Pane, and it will display any hymn that is associated with a particular Bible reference.

Ah! That is good to know. Thank you. I will check that out. Much appreciated! 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, Mark Allison said:

This is great! Wouldn't it be limited to the existing "Hymn Lyrics" dictionaries, though? User Tools are still very limited in functionality and I don't know how you could "tag" or "tie" it

The follow-up question: can we see about getting more Hymnals (complete with Biblical "ties"?) It would be really nice to help pair a hymn with sermons I write. The churches of Christ sing a LOT, and we also have a fairly extensive hymnodic tradition.

As a side note, there's a project I'm wanting to do for which this would be really helpful. 

If you can find any public domain hymn lyrics that are tied to verse references, I'll be glad to build fully-functional Accordance modules and place them in the Accordance Exchange for everyone to access. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

“Give this authority to me as well” (Acts 8:19)😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Andrew Patterson said:

“Give this authority to me as well” (Acts 8:19)😂🤣

For the my toolset you have it.

• Like 1

Please delete if inappropriate but ive just been asked to lead a number of hymns this Easter which ive not lead before (and not even sure i know) so to find the music im turning to my other go to bit of software.

I have used HymnQuest for the last 10 years alongside accordance.
Its a Totally stand alone database and includes:

over 48,000 first lines and choruses, 

the full text of 34,000 hymns and songs (fully searchable by word or phrase)

from over 530 hymn books and publications. 

The opening bars of over 25,000 melodies can be both viewed and heard.

It includes indexes of tune names and metres,

the full music for over 1,300 public domain hymn tunes

and short biographies on the composers.

All are tagged by tune, theme, text, first line, composer, scripture reference and hymn book number! 

its also regularly updated as new hymnbooks are published. 

i accept you need to use two apps but this and accordance compliment each other with no overlap and both are excellent in doing what they are designed to do. Its subscription based and limited to certain countries for copyright reasons. 

but like accordance, the search engine is blisteringly fast. 

https://hymnquest.com/about/

91B1C461-15E7-4D72-9F4F-4F718F2DCB0F.png

CF0EC201-C4AD-4005-BC3C-994B94824B8A.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rick Flynn said:

the 1975 baptist hymnal would be amazing ❤️

its all here with the references:

https://hymnary.org/hymnal/BH1975

however I could only imagine how much leg work would go into it.

I would buy it in a heartbeat :)

Okay Let me share:

I have just explored the external web option in accordance and I am able to do complete searches within the amplified external web options in accordance. I just learned this and it is a mighty powerful feature. This has just saved me a ton of time! Very greatful for this option. Thus said, creating a new hymnal library has been deemed unnecessary with this given option. @Mark Allison thank you for your tutorial on amplifying external websites!! I had no idea we could do this. God bless you brother! ❤️ 

Edited by Rick Flynn
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 10:52 AM, Mark Allison said:

If you can find any public domain hymn lyrics that are tied to verse references, I'll be glad to build fully-functional Accordance modules and place them in the Accordance Exchange for everyone to access. 

I have A LOT! The question is how would you like to receive it? And while I would love to get it to you all at once, my work schedule does not permit that kind of time due to the nature of what I have to do. So I can send a few at a time. 

@Mark Allison

On 4/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, ukfraser said:

Please delete if inappropriate but ive just been asked to lead a number of hymns this Easter which ive not lead before (and not even sure i know) so to find the music im turning to my other go to bit of software.

I have used HymnQuest for the last 10 years alongside accordance.
Its a Totally stand alone database and includes:

over 48,000 first lines and choruses, 

the full text of 34,000 hymns and songs (fully searchable by word or phrase)

from over 530 hymn books and publications. 

The opening bars of over 25,000 melodies can be both viewed and heard.

It includes indexes of tune names and metres,

the full music for over 1,300 public domain hymn tunes

and short biographies on the composers.

All are tagged by tune, theme, text, first line, composer, scripture reference and hymn book number! 

its also regularly updated as new hymnbooks are published. 

i accept you need to use two apps but this and accordance compliment each other with no overlap and both are excellent in doing what they are designed to do. Its subscription based and limited to certain countries for copyright reasons. 

but like accordance, the search engine is blisteringly fast. 

https://hymnquest.com/about/

91B1C461-15E7-4D72-9F4F-4F718F2DCB0F.png

CF0EC201-C4AD-4005-BC3C-994B94824B8A.jpeg

@ukfraser

I have been playing around on this and it is good. Very good. Thank you for sharing this. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

I have A LOT! The question is how would you like to receive it? And while I would love to get it to you all at once, my work schedule does not permit that kind of time due to the nature of what I have to do. So I can send a few at a time. 

@Mark Allison

You can send them to me at mark@accordancebible.com. Just make sure they're in the Public Domain and the digital file is clean. 

Thank you for this!  I just updated my toolset!  

On 4/8/2022 at 1:58 PM, Mark Allison said:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Mark Allison

I haven't forgot. Just haven't had time.