Integration to Sefaria

markusvonkaenel

Seeing all the requests for the rabbinical books of Sefaria, I'm just wondering if it would not be possible to make an interface to their database instead of integrating them to Accordance. Could be via Webbrowser or API.

Then sell the interface to the users so Sefaria and Accordance can earn money to develop their product. Pricing per click....

I also understand that Sefaria is in better position as they have a lot of donors.

20 hours ago, markusvonkaenel said:

Pricing per click.

I'm pretty sure that would be a wildly unpopular idea. One of the most valued things about Accordance is that it doesn't require internet access. When we pay for something, we want it to always be available, and to not have to pay again for the same resource.

The music industry learned that when people copied and shared music freely, it was essentially free advertising, which led to increased sales. I'm not advocating violating copyrights/licensing/terms of use, but I think there could be a mutual business agreement wherein Sefaria allows its texts to be used in exchange for specified advertising.

Offered suggestions to choose from: Include the Sefaria logo on the web site; put a "Donate to Sefaria" link on the web site; feature a prominent article about Sefaria on the web site x times per year, explicitly encouraging people to donate to the Sefaria project; add a forum dedicated to Sefaria; include the Sefaria logo within Accordance -- splash screen, About page, or somewhere else -- perhaps a light watermark behind Sefaria's texts/tools (translucent so it works with preferred colors and dark mode).

Edited by Daniel L
  • Like 2