John Chapter 1 read with modern Greek pronunciation

Brian K. Mitchell

From the Youtube channel: Reading the Bible in Greek with Maria

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2022 at 9:32 PM, Mark Allison said:

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure.

Oh, here is one more reading of John 1 in a modern Greek accent (this time a male reader) video hosted on Christisinn's youtube channel:

I wish I could swap out the Erasmian Greek module in my brain for the Modern Greek one. Some things are hard to unlearn, but now it's a real problem since I'm in a church that actually uses Greek sometimes; and, of course, it's all modern pronunciation. I regularly butcher it, so I try to avoid it.

• Like 1

I wish Accordance tools having word pronunciation recordings would give a choice of pronunciation systems to use. Which pronunciation to focus on is really holding me back, though if the tools used modern pronunciation I would settle on that. Just as Vinnie Barbarino said often, "I'm so confused."

—Joseph the Confused

20 hours ago, Solly said:

I wish Accordance tools having word pronunciation recordings would give a choice of pronunciation systems to use. Which pronunciation to focus on is really holding me back, though if the tools used modern pronunciation I would settle on that.

I would definitely like to see us overhaul the text to speech capabilities in Accordance. What we had was cutting edge 20 years ago, but now not so much. But with some of this capabilities built into the various OSes, maybe this would be a possibility. Won't make it in time for v. 14, though.

22 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

I wish I could swap out the Erasmian Greek module in my brain for the Modern Greek one. Some things are hard to unlearn, but now it's a real problem since I'm in a church that actually uses Greek sometimes; and, of course, it's all modern pronunciation. I regularly butcher it, so I try to avoid it.

Wouldn't take very long at all. Just start daily reading out loud in modern Greek pronunciation. I did this a couple summers ago, combining it with daily listening to the text read in modern. Within weeks, the switch was made. Don't worry about doing it perfectly; just do it. Start with one or two pronunciation changes and add more as you recognize you're doing something the old way.

(I've since gone back to Erasmian for teaching purposes)

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 1

In honor of the current conversation here is Maria reading Matthew 5 in 'an' Erasmian Pronunciation but a rather smooth natural sounding variation. Although sometimes you can tell it is a little difficult for her to force her self to use the Erasmian pronunciation.