Review of LXX advanced studies Add-on, MT-LXX parallel, Rahlf's' LXX with apparatus, Swete's LXX with apparatus, etc.

Accordance Enthusiast

Great resources.
Searching is usually good.

Currently there is a problem with searching in the MT-LXX parallel when using the MERGE command. It shows a lot of search results which are wrong.

Below is an example where I searched for a singular verb in Hebrew, and a plural verb in Greek, and then merged the two searches. As you can see below, most of the search results in the MT-LXX parallel are wrong! All the Hebrew verbs marked in the blue boxes are actually plural verbs, not singular. The results in the individual searches in the LXX and Hebrew MT were correct, but when merged it is fully flawed!

image.thumb.png.5b05822bad5a1c45193acc4a9f7e7ab9.png

The Rahlfs’ critical apparatus has explanations only in Latin, with no support for English.

image.thumb.png.271f1d73fc51864c7537609b8430fbb9.png

***This has been corrected, thank you***

Cross-textual searching with Rahlfs' and Sweete's LXX texts:

The TEXT command works very well when inserting only one word, but when searching for two words in the TEXT command, it does not work at all.

E.g., if I search Rahlfs’ LXX for [HMT-W4 (=אבד, =אֹבֵד)], it complains about the brackets the program automatically inserted, and it does not work without the brackets either.

image.thumb.png.69d7496f5ecf0a7315415be15a72ba4f.png

Edited by Accordance Enthusiast

Anonymous,

I'm not seeing the results you're seeing when duplicating your search. Could you show us the exact searches in the HMT and LXX tabs? I'm also curious about the exact texts you're using. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 8.42.58 AM.png

9 hours ago, Anonymous said:

The Rahlfs’ critical apparatus has explanations only in Latin, with no support for English.

image.thumb.png.271f1d73fc51864c7537609b8430fbb9.png

That's correct. Rahlf's doesn't provide English translations of the Latin. However, you can use our cool website link option to find the word/s you're looking for in a Latin dictionary. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 8.47.42 AM.png

2 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

That's correct. Rahlf's doesn't provide English translations of the Latin. However, you can use our cool website link option to find the word/s you're looking for in a Latin dictionary. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 8.47.42 AM.png

This example will be forbidden for the upcoming webinar!😉

• Haha 1

Cross-textual searching with Rahlfs' and Sweete's LXX texts:

The TEXT command works very well when inserting only one word, but when searching for two words in the TEXT command, it does not work at all.

E.g., if I search Rahlfs’ LXX for [HMT-W4 (=אבד, =אֹבֵד)], it complains about the brackets the program automatically inserted, and it does not work without the brackets either.

image.thumb.png.69d7496f5ecf0a7315415be15a72ba4f.png

Yes, this is clearly a bug related to Accordance encountering some confusion in the parsing of the logic when combining rtl and ltr text in the same search query. I'll report it. 

• Like 1

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your responses!

Here are my search tabs:

image.thumb.png.ff4b253915f9f09bc51641b87765b32e.png

As you can see, the MERGE command did not work, and shows many Hebrew plural verbs.

This is a serious error that will have to be corrected.

Edited by Anonymous

I now know more exactly what the problem is.

It is because I used a LETTERS search in the Hebrew modules, and it is so flawed to find Waws as if they are singular verbs!

• Like 1

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your responses!

Here are my search tabs:

image.thumb.png.ff4b253915f9f09bc51641b87765b32e.png

As you can see, the MERGE command did not work, and shows many Hebrew plural verbs.

I think I see the problem. You're performing a "Letters" search for a Singular Verb in the HMT tab. A Letters search will find any part of a word that contains your search criteria, because it only looks at the string of characters, and can't "see" individual words if they're not separated by a space. Try using a "Words" search instead and it will work as you expect it to. 

Ok, it worked, but what if I am doing research with the LETTERS search and want to compare that with the LXX?

You should really update the Letters search so it doesn't find these Waws on PLURAL verbs as if they were singular verbs.

That is still a really silly mistake in Accordance,

Hope you can fix that.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:06 AM, Anonymous said:

Ok, it worked, but what if I am doing research with the LETTERS search and want to compare that with the LXX?

You should really update the Letters search so it doesn't find these Waws on PLURAL verbs as if they were singular verbs.

That is still a really silly mistake in Accordance,

Hope you can fix that.

Will you consider improving Accordance in future so that I can do LETTERS research combined with tags and MERGE with the MT-LXX parallel?

• Like 1