Recognition of the European or the American notation

Fabian

This I very important to develop for Accordance 14. Don't do this in 10 years. Better yesterday than tomorrow.

I don't make a poll, because there is no question if this should be developed for Accordance 14 or not. This is a must to develop.

We need an automatic recognition if a verse ref is on the European notation or not. For example I have set to European and if I hover over in the built in browser over an American notation the auto-link doesn't work. Also for the permanent Search Ranges. They have otherwise always to adapt.

Simply use this logic. If a colon is after the first chapter number then change to the American notation where the after the comma are the additional verses. Is a comma after the first chapter number then use the European notation, where after the dot are the additional verses. Is a dot after the first chapter number us this style, with the comma as separator of the verses. 

This feature would make Accordance much more handy to use. Especially for the Europeans, which always struggle with this issue.

May you can add a radio button where the user can choose between the one existed 620727434_Bildschirmfoto2022-03-27um11_37_41.png.51f80b3d2c9e8ab17bd4f20c88083561.png.

And the automatic based on the logic above.

Edited by Fabian

Fabian, im not convinced we europeans are actually very consistent in our notation so some coding that could automatically recognise verse ref in a really wide range of formats including non standard would help. This is a screenshot from my Uk app and when i copy into accordance i always have to mess about formatting it so it would be great to have some ai assistance. 

;o) 

i switched on european but found i got better results with less messing around when i used the american formatting so switched it off again. 

B4337AD5-2137-4E26-887C-649B5689CE37.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

Fabian, im not convinced we europeans are actually very consistent in our notation so some coding that could automatically recognise verse ref in a really wide range of formats including non standard would help. This is a screenshot from my Uk app and when i copy into accordance i always have to mess about formatting it so it would be great to have some ai assistance. 

;o) 

i switched on european but found i got better results with less messing around when i used the american formatting so switched it off again. 

B4337AD5-2137-4E26-887C-649B5689CE37.jpeg

Your screenshot is the 3rd style I mentioned above.

But yes, the Psalms 84,(space)85 can be a problem. As some European style has a space after the comma to the verse number and some not. But this also is confusing for the humans. You have then to check other verse refs to see how the book handles this. In the image above you see it must be two chapters as there on the other verse refs had no space to the verse number. Especially older books have a space. Most of the newer ones, since the Bible software era have no space.

Edited by Fabian

Just hope any logic for 14 comes to ios at the same time

;o) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

Just hope any logic for 14 comes to ios at the same time

;o) 

+1

As ukfraser says, part of the problem is that there is a variety of different styles for reference notation. In French alone, there are two widely used ones: Gn 1,1 or Gn 1.1. I have to go constantly between the two when writing articles. And I don't doubt that there are other combinations in other languages.

I think that what is especially important would be on the output side. I would really like to be able to personalize the reference outputs. If I'm doing something for the US, I can set it up for Gen. 1:1, for France either Gn 1,1 or Gn 1.1, etc. BW was great for this, and it would be a huge progress in Accordance. As it is, I'm constantly having to redo my quotation references practically every time I write something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

As ukfraser says, part of the problem is that there is a variety of different styles for reference notation. In French alone, there are two widely used ones: Gn 1,1 or Gn 1.1. I have to go constantly between the two when writing articles. And I don't doubt that there are other combinations in other languages.

This is system 2 and 3 I mentioned above. As I said above the different notation are simply recognized which : , . is after the chapter number und the verse number. This wouldn't overwhelm the developers. And the AI.

2 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

I think that what is especially important would be on the output side. I would really like to be able to personalize the reference outputs. If I'm doing something for the US, I can set it up for Gen. 1:1, for France either Gn 1,1 or Gn 1.1, etc. BW was great for this, and it would be a huge progress in Accordance. As it is, I'm constantly having to redo my quotation references practically every time I write something.

I totally agree with you. And yes I requested the features BW had which is still missing in Accordance. No ETA for 14, so they have still time to implement such features.

Edited by Fabian