iOS use only?

Curtis Greenwood

Anybody use Accordance to study on an iPad alone? If so, how do you like it? I'm thinking of moving to the 12.9inch in the future. Any thoughts?

On the go I sometimes used Accordance to study (or at least look up things) an iphone and my experience has been pretty favorable. I imagine using Accordance on an 12.9 iPad would be even better because of the extra Real estate espisally if you do not mind reading on a backlit tablet LCD screen.

However, the Accordance iPod app does not have all the features of the desktop/laptop program. For example the  wonderful construct search is entirely missing from the iOS Accordance app.

Thanks Brian. Yea, I actually do enjoy reading on the iPads better as I find it makes for a better reading experience, which is the bulk of what I do.  I don't use much of the original language features. Texts, commentaries, and English searches is what I mainly use. What I would miss however is the 3D Atlas, Timeline, and research feature.... I am hoping the app will improve in those areas in the near future. 

I don't think you could really use the iPad app as anything more than a companion to the full desktop experience - it is a good 'e-reader' with nice search options and the recreation of instant details is good but it isn't the desktop experience and many key modules don't work on it wither

I have a 12.9 inch iPad and I really wish it were more than it is (and maybe it will be) - the next revision has been a long time in coming so things might change

It is fair to say other forum members e.g. ukfraser use the iPad version and have a more positive view than I have expressed here

I use Accordance on my iPad, but not exclusively. However, I do know that I have seen several pastors on the forum that use Accordance on their iPads exclusively. If I can think of their names, I will tag them and hopefully they will weigh in.

I think, that @ukfraseruses an iPad exclusively

As tim said, i use iPad predominantly including study, preparation and taking the service (as well as emails, web, youtube, music AND note taking at conferences). At a previous church where i prepared the service for data projection weekly, i used my mbp as i found pulling the service together in word for conversion to pdf with a proper keyboard easiest. The church i currently attend doesnt use data projection.

typically i take a service including preaching about once every two weeks now so can live with the texts without too much time pressure. 

The ipad is great for reading anywhere (my preference is in a stressless chair with coffee next to me but do use it for extended periods sitting in the car while waiting for people) and i use my 9.7" 1st gen pro in landscape view. 

if its text i may open up a second version or a study bible in the second pane as its ideal for quickly changing. 
when it comes to commentaries or other resources, i typically use them in their own screen. (Ive held off buying timeline and accordance atlas as its not available on ipad but i really like the holman atlas and some other resources for maps or date info.)

i use ios notes so copy and paste into that. Then when pulling together a service, i open the notes up and format and edit in word on my mbp including the liturgy, and hymn words if im not leading music and convert that to pdf to lead from on the ipad using forScore but rarely open accordance on the mbp.

i am still delving into original language so its not really something i spend a lot of time in and i dont use any additional bible software now.

it would be nice to have some of the other research tools but i have been using this method really since 2011 on my original gen 2 as i find the ipad so easy to hold and read from and using ios notes means i can add to it on my phone if a thought comes to me when im out. 

my only comment on your choice of screen would be, nice large screen but how comfortable is it to hold for long periods. I would upgrade to a slightly larger screen but i can hold this one handed and typically use it for very prolonged periods watching youtube or reading.

i think because ive grown up using dead tree resources,  even on my mbp, ive never had lots of resources open on a screen and tended to have lots of tabs so very easy to click between them and on ios, its easy to click on title to select another resorce and this may be why ive taken to it more than others. 

i really miss research and the detailed analysis but im too lazy to get up and sit at a desk and wait while my mbp boots up. So you dont easily see where text is in all your resources, hopefully that may come, so you need to search manually each likely resource which takes more time. However my ipad is usually within easy reach and always on. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I bought Accordance to use on my Mac, but once I went from the iPad mini to the iPad Pro (the 9.7” at first, now using the 11”), I barely use my Mac for anything, including Bible reading, Bible study, and sermon preparation. I have a couple feature requests that would be really helpful to me, but I have a somewhat annoying workaround for now. I’m still holding out hope for two separate windows running Accordance at the same time in iPad OS so I can multitask better, but I get that is a major update taking a lot of recoding, so it is what it is.

18 hours ago, zcostilla said:

I’m still holding out hope for two separate windows running Accordance at the same time in iPad OS so I can multitask 

While you wait for full implementation, I havent tried it but i believe there is a sort of workaround for this if you use the Legacy Standard Bible app which you can get from the app store and uses accordance behind the scenes. Not sure how many of your tools it will recognise but its away of running two accordance sessions. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

I’ve tried it. All of your modules in Acc iPadOS are in LSB iPadOS. The only difference is that the LSB app doesn’t have the latest 3.3 Acc features. But they both work in split screen, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michel Gilbert said:

I’ve tried it. All of your modules in Acc iPadOS are in LSB iPadOS. The only difference is that the LSB app doesn’t have the latest 3.3 Acc features. But they both work in split screen, etc.

Thanks. Have now downloaded it so i can open a text as a second window when reading a commentary and search in the second window. Now just need to work out how to open and close second apps!

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

I use Accordance and the LSB app on a 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I also use Olivetree because of the resource guide and other helpful features. If it wasn’t for Olivetree, I would still be using Accordance on my laptop because the app isn’t great for searching through your library…. But between Accordance and Olivetree, I find I can get everything done on my iPad that I could on a laptop, although it would be nice to have the Accordance Timeline and 3D Atlas on IOS as that is two major features I miss. Hopefully it will come to iOS in the near future! :)     

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curtis Greenwood said:

I also use Olivetree because of the resource guide and other helpful features.

I would love the Info Pane (resource guide) and the other helpful features to see in the Accordance app. Which other features do you think is helpful? I ask only to give the Accordance developers a hint.

• Like 2

Well, Olivetree is just a simple but very efficient app. Very easy to navigate across resources. Everything about the resource guide is splendid, it’s kind of like Accordance’s info pane but can just be used on a mobile device. The Lookup feature is fantastic. I keep all my notes in Olivetree as well because it is just easier to use, and in my opinion, better. There are other features that stand out too.

None of this is to diss Accordance, because honestly, Accordance is a far more developed and just a way better software to use on any laptop. In fact, I would say Accordance is probably my favourite software to use on a laptop out of all the Bible softwares. It’s just that I really like using my iPad over and above my laptop. It offers a better reader experience, which is the bulk of what I do. Plus, I just like having everything work well on one device. So for me, someone who uses Kindle, Accordance, and Olivetree, the iPad Pro ends up being my preferred choice. 

But like I said, having the Timeline and 3D Atlas for mobile would be dandy, indeed!

Edited by Curtis Greenwood
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fabian said:

I would love the Info Pane (resource guide) and the other helpful features to see in the Accordance app. Which other features do you think is helpful? I ask only to give the Accordance developers a hint.

Yes, definitely the info pane!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Curtis Greenwood said:

But like I said, having the Timeline and 3D Atlas for mobile would be dandy, indeed!

+1!

1 hour ago, Fabian said:

Which other features do you think is helpful? I ask only to give the Accordance developers a hint.

I have never found notes in accordance useful and really liked the stacks feature and would like to see that fully implemented on ios. 
i also miss the full analytics you get in the full fat version. 
+1 for info pane

(I bought the other company's  niv cultural study bible app and its not been updated and you cant search the articles or notes and while support agreed it needed developing, it appears to have been withdrawn from the app store and i regret buying it and really wish id waited and bought it in accordance instead so i could use it on all my devices.  So nowadays, if its not in accordance, im not bothering as at least accordance is fully searchable and mega tagged.)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

i also miss the full analytics you get in the full fat version. 

Yes, I would like to see the analytics features in iOS. In that same vein, the search features are ok for a quick search, but the the construction search feature would really be appreciated! Thanks to the team at Accordance for all you do!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Donald Cobb said:

Thanks to the team at Accordance for all you do!

Definitely!

;o) 

4 hours ago, ukfraser said:

Definitely!

;o) 

Amen!

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
change

On 3/4/2022 at 11:28 AM, R. Mansfield said:

4 hours ago, ukfraser said:

Definitely!

4 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

Thanks to the team at Accordance for all you do!

Amen! Thank you very much!

If the IOS version someday supports all the features of the computer version, then we can refer to the IOS version as the tiny full fat version.

Edited by Steve Carruth
  • Haha 4

• 6 months later...

I use the iPad app on my iPad mini for reading. I love reading on my iPad mini. The iPad is super-light and able to work well for reading Accordance modules.

I do the bulk of my hefty studies on the Mac. Accordance Mobile isn’t quite up to Accordance desktop yet.