info on the Hebrew squiggle

Kristin

Is there somewhere where I can get a complete listing of the little marks in the Hebrew text? I was specifically looking for info on the squiggle הָ֘. I was looking in the Acc info module but I can't find this specific symbol.

Thanks,

Kristin

Hi @JonathanHuber,

For some reason I can't get to the link as my computer keeps claiming it is not secure. I own that resource, so I was looking in it under accents but still can't find it. Can you let me know the official name of this symbol? I assume it isn't squiggle.

Thanks,

Kristin

ps - never mind, I think I found it. I think it is called Zarqā, and it apparently means basically nothing which is why I keep forgetting it. I guess I will go back to ignoring it.

It is a group 3 disjunctive accent, as described in the BHS Guide: https://accordance.bible/link/read/BHS_Guide#195

The BHS Guide gives a nice summary of the accents.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 1

Hi @Michael J. Bolesta,

Thanks for the link, but similar to Jonathan's post, I am getting the same warning. I guess at this point I will post what it looks like in case staff wants to look into it.

1679463156_Bildschirmfoto2022-03-11um10_10_20.png.9710eeeae8ee114e3c6ac82914e4cff7.png

When I tried the links, I too received the warning, though in Safari.

Tech support?

Hi @Michael J. Bolesta,

Thanks for letting me know, and I agree it sounds like @Tech Support should be aware we are getting these messages on both Firefox and Safari, especially since such warnings just started happening.

Take care,

Kristin

Thanks for letting us know about this issue. In the meantime, you can click on the "Advanced" button and still allow the website to be displayed. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:57 PM, Kristin said:

ps - never mind, I think I found it. I think it is called Zarqā, and it apparently means basically nothing which is why I keep forgetting it. I guess I will go back to ignoring it.

Zarqa is somewhat like a coma, and helps to clarify syntax and actually the word Zarqa does have a meaning ...

"The name Zarqa is interpreted in various ways. According to Jewish writers it is to be connected with זָרַק “to scatter,” and may have been applied to a meandering or varying note, rising and falling about the same pitch or key, like the technical phrase “a turn” in modern music. Its designation in the poetic accentuation is Ṣinnor “a pipe or spout”; and certainly its form suggests a crooked pipe: while in the same connection, it was made postpositive, as in the poetic notation, to distinguish it from the conjunctive Ṣinnorith which has the same form."

Adams, John. Sermons in Accents: Or, Studies in the Hebrew Text. London;  New York: T&T Clark, 1906.

"   

זַרְקָא֮ or צִנּוֹרִי֘. Jewish writers on the accents derive the name זרקא from זרק, ‘to sprinkle, scatter.’ It may be taken to refer to the character of the melody, which is further symbolized by the form of the accent. Comp. Villoteau, p. 838: ‘Les sons semblent se répandre et s’étendre, en tournoyant.’ The form would then represent what is called in music ‘a turn.’

Wickes, William. Two Treatises on the Accentuation of the Old Testament. Vol. 2. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1887.

At the following blog you can listen to Zarqa chanted in 5 different Segol phrases

https://sarahbolts.com/trope/haftarah-trope/segol-phrases-haftarah/

"

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The following photo is from pg 191 of, Chanting the Hebrew Bible; the complete Guide to the Art of Cantillation by Joshua R. Jacobson (the discussion of the Zarqa accent goes from pg.191 to pg.208) . [By the way the author of this book used Accordance Bible software and MacBible for the production of this book.]

1334064102_ScannableDocumentonMar13202213_56_40.thumb.png.e6a9938a9e0459c7f6d635b72fa19ab7.png

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
spelling error
  • Like 3