How to use the "Papers" applet within Accordance 13

chaplanger

I am a newbie with Accordance and I am so confused re. the "Papers" tool / tab in Accordance 13. I am using Accordance on a Windows machine running Windows 10 (latest drop).

There are no tutorials on how to actually use this function.

How do I open a blank document and simply start typing and creating? I can open a pre-created outline or a supposedly blank sheet, but then I am met with: "Add new item" and "Add new text item"

When I click on "Add new item" "Papers" creates an outline format beginning with "I. Heading" and beneath is a box labeled "contents." While I can backspace to get rid of most of this, the "I." from the heading stubbornly persists... very frustrating.

When I click on "Add new Text Item" A box with the label "text' opens. If I simply start typing in this box - the word text remains (sometimes captured within the first word I am typing).

Suppose I want a blank document that lets me place a Title and Scripture reference first... you know, like in a sermon document? 

And suppose I never want "Papers" to create headings for me... just let me write my message and insert references and create my own headings when and if I see fit.

I can't find any help files, tutorials, or videos that directly address this. Please note I am not interested in a sermon prep video, or 1 hr. plus webinar that describes all the steps in sermon prep and how accordance can be utilized for this. I simply want a direct instructional "something" that takes a beginner in Accordance through the steps of making “Papers” a useful tool.

Does anyone here, actually create sermons or messages within "Papers" or do you do this with an outside word processor and then just cut/paste, and drop the completed document into "Papers" to have it within Accordance?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Evening!

I have written my sermons in Papers and preached form them as soon as they were available on iOS (I preach form an iPad).

I am surprised that there are no tutorials, perhaps @R. Mansfield would know who to send that idea to.

If you click on the Papers button on the toolbar and select blank, it will give you a blank paper with the items you mentioned. You can put the title and text in the heading (you can use enter to get additional lines in the "header". You can then type your sermon in the "contents field". To get rid of the outline number, out of the box so that neither of them are active and then hover to the right of the header and a gear icon will appear. Clicking on that will give you the option to hide (I have attached a screenshot to help explain). If you want another heading, all you need to do is click on "Add new item".

I will also attach a couple sermons (in different stages) so you can see what I have done. I have created a template of my own based on one of the standard templates that I use.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 7.40.59 PM.png

Micah 5.7–15.apaper.zip Micah 6.1–8.apaper.zip

Let me know if you have any other questions, I will try to answer them.

I'm following, because I too am finding it difficult to use Papers.

I just want a clean start, but even when I choose Blank, it wants me to "Add New Item" and "Add New Text Item." I can't figure out how to get rid of those. I see on the graphic that @Tim Hallprovided that there is supposed to be a way to Hide Outline Markers, but I don't see it on a Windows system.

What I want to do is create everything in Word and then paste it into Papers and then activate Bible links.

You should be able to paste into the "contents" section. Normally it automatically recognizes Scripture. But you are correct, I am on MacOS so the gear to remove the outline marker might be located differently on Windows. Perhaps a Windows user can help ...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

is your huckleberry for tutorials.

YES!!! Tombstone is one of my favorite movies of all time!!! Rick you constantly make me smile. Thanks!!

• Like 1

Surprisingly no one at Accordance seems to be aware of this resource -- a former webinar from August 25, 2021 -- with the single subject of "Papers"

Here's the shortcut for anyone looking for a tutorial on this feature...

https://www.gotostage.com/channel/2b99bda9c3ed4b7382a55737a7d54b46/recording/6cb78a5a96bb40a58d2bd1d9536097d6/watch?source=CHANNEL

Maybe, someone at Accordance could index these helpful webinars and other tutorials so we users could readily find this invaluable information. At present no search for "Papers" turns anything up on the Accordance Website -- yet, there it is!

• Like 4