Download error #9 happening frequently

Ben Tovar

Hello,

I've attached the error I've received now several times while trying to download resources after installation of Accordance 13 on a PC running Windows 10 Home. I've tried the following (in no particular order) to resolve the issue:

• Hit "Install" to install the items that have already finished installing, then went back to Easy Install to resume downloading the remainder of the resources only to be confronted with the same error regardless of what package or resource I was trying to download
  • Performed a clean install of Windows 10, downloaded, reinstalled Accordance, ran Easy Install, and it happened again in the midst of downloading the English Discoverer package I purchased a few years ago
  • Started Accordance in Safe Mode several times, each time ticking one additional checkbox:
    • Remove startup session
    • Remove General Settings
    • Rebuild Text Settings
    • Rebuild Tools Settings
    • Clear Library Cache
    • Clear Research Cache
    • Clear cached downloads
    • Remove unused settings files
  • adding exceptions in both Windows Defender and Malware Bytes Premium to all of the folders where Accordance and its files are stored, the actual .EXE for Accordance, and the URL for Accordance
  • Ran various Windows diagnostic tools I have access to
  • Restarted the computer various times
  • Disabled Malware Bytes Premium and Windows Defender
  • Checked the forums briefly for a solution and came across this thread with no replies: Download error #9 - Bug Swatters - Mac - Accordance Forums (accordancebible.com)

Attached are the error message and my system specs. Please help!

Error 9.PNG

specs.PNG

• Like 1

Error #9 is a generic communication error that Mac, iOS and Windows all use. It happens when there is a break in the internet connection. Are you downloading from a stable internet connection?

Outside of an unstable internet connection, the most common cause of this error is that the computer settings are causing the display or the computer itself to go to sleep during the download which will stop the download every time.

Please check your computer and display sleep settings and adjust then so that they won’t cause the download to stop.

On a Mac these settings would be in System Preferences > Energy Saver (or Battery).

On a Windows 10 PC they would be in Settings > System > Power & Sleep to set the Screen and Sleep settings to ‘Never’ turn off until you complete the download and installation.

In earlier versions of Windows they would be in Control Panel > Power Options > Change when the computer sleeps ‘settings’ allowing your computer or display to go to sleep during the download.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, Billy32792 said:

Error #9 is a generic communication error that Mac, iOS and Windows all use. It happens when there is a break in the internet connection. Are you downloading from a stable internet connection?

Outside of an unstable internet connection, the most common cause of this error is that the computer settings are causing the display or the computer itself to go to sleep during the download which will stop the download every time.

Please check your computer and display sleep settings and adjust then so that they won’t cause the download to stop.

On a Mac these settings would be in System Preferences > Energy Saver (or Battery).

On a Windows 10 PC they would be in Settings > System > Power & Sleep to set the Screen and Sleep settings to ‘Never’ turn off until you complete the download and installation.

In earlier versions of Windows they would be in Control Panel > Power Options > Change when the computer sleeps ‘settings’ allowing your computer or display to go to sleep during the download.

Thanks.

Hi @Billy32792, The Internet connection is stable and my computer's power settings are set properly so as not to interfere with the download. The error persists. Any other ideas?

Hi Ben,

We were sorry to hear that this issue is continuing for you.

The #9 connection error is telling you that somehow your internet connection is being interrupted.  While it is happening during your download of Accordance modules (which can be large), that is where Accordance's connection with this error message ends. Accordance is using your internet connection, but would not be the actual cause of the failure. That will be something else that has to do with your internet connection.

Some examples:

Are you on a metered cellular or other type of connection which monitors the data stream and shuts you down when you reach a certain point?

If you are getting your signal from a satellite, weather could be causing the signal drop.

If you are using DSL or Cable, the physical cable providing the signal could have cracks in it and as the metal expands and contracts the signal can go from strong to intermittent to weak. This actually happened to me once at my home. They had to replace the cable leading from the neighborhood distribution box to my house and that fixed it.

There could be an issue anywhere on the line between your computer and your ISP that is causing the intermittent signal drop.

We have already mentioned the sleep settings earlier. There are also some cache settings on your PC which if altered, could be causing this.

Obviously your situation could be different. You may want to check with your ISP and see if they can test your connection for intermittent issues.

If you are able to download some modules, you may want to download and install them in sections. This method can be a work around for now until you figure out what is causing the interruption in your signal.

Thanks.

Thanks for your continued help, Billy! For now, I'm not convinced that the error has to do with my Internet connection, although there are more tests that I can run to be sure:

1. My office has a dedicated synchronous (symmetric) Fiber connection to the ISP which is 100 ft away.
  2. The connection from my ISP to my PC loosely looks like this: Fiber <> Modem <> Router <> Switch <> My Win10 Desktop PC, all wired.
  3. Attached is a speed test that is indicative of what I normally get here: 519Mbps x 515Mbps.
  4. Attached is a ping test to accordancebible.com with a 512B packet with 0 packet loss and low latency.
  5. Attached is a ping test to my router with a larger 1400B packet with 0 packet loss.
  6. I ran a Traceroute to help discover other routers (hops) on my ISP's end on the route between my PC and your servers that could be causing connection issues and it yielded nothing.
  7. I've had a continuous remote session open from my laptop here at my house to my office PC with Accordance on it with no issues.
  8. I ran some tests with highly demanding multiplayer games that were both able to download large maps and ran perfectly fine with no connection-related issues.

I don't believe the sleep settings are a problem either. I created the power profile for my PC from scratch and went back to make sure each setting was set properly with no issues.

The only other item you mentioned that I'd like to explore further is this: "There are also some cache settings on your PC which if altered, could be causing this." - Any advice here?

Ping Accordance.png

Ping Router.png

speed test.png

Tracert Accordance IP.png

Edited by Ben Tovar

Hi Ben,

Are you able to download any modules at all?

Yes, I'm taking your advice and downloading and installing them in small batches (1-5 or so) but it's very tedious work (several hundred modules to go).

What cache settings were you referring to earlier and what sort of changes could I implement to fix this?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ben Tovar said:

Yes, I'm taking your advice and downloading and installing them in small batches (1-5 or so) but it's very tedious work (several hundred modules to go).

This was my solution too, but this is only a workaround than what it is supposed to be.

Ben, the cache settings that I was thinking of actually would have been for the operating system itself and wouldn't apply in this situation.

Have you tried moving the download process to another location off of the company network?

Another option, if you have another installation on a Windows PC, you can copy the 4 folders that make up the installation and put them in place on the PC that you are running into difficulty and bypass the download process altogether.

In a normal Accordance installation on Windows (not on a server) these four folders make up the complete Accordance installation:

1 - The Accordance program (copy the OakTree folder) -  C:\Program Files (x86)\Oaktree\Accordance\Accordance.exe

2 - The Accordance folder (copy the Accordance folder) which contains the modules, etc. -   C:\ProgramData\Accordance

3 - Preferences -  (copy the Accordance folder) C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Accordance\Accordance Preferences

4 - User Content - (copy the Accordance Files folder)  C:\Documents\Accordance Files

AppData & ProgramData are hidden folders.

To show hidden folders on Windows 10: File Explorer > View > Check Hidden Items

Hopefully one of these suggestions will help.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I  think this my problem on Windows. Installing Accordance on Windows requires a stepwise iterative process not much unlike getting it on my iPad.

These kinds of issues can be resolved through automated testing of releases that sequence the entire install from scratch. Unfortunately these issues sometimes result in multiple phantom activations that mean a call to tech support.

I can't imagine it would take long to get to the bottom of this. Easy to repeat on clean install of Accordance on a clean Windows install.

Possibly related. I think my last error 9 had the following toward the end of the Module Log.txt:

The module “MT-AFD.syntax” has been Installed.

The module “UnderstandingNTG2” has been Installed.

The file “” could not be found at