copying without poetry

Kristin

If I am trying to copy a verse as plain text, I find if I copy it as "no subscript" it gets rid of the footnotes but the poetry remains. Is there a way to copy verses without poetry, without actually turning poetry off as a setting.

Thanks,

Kristin

Yes. Choose "Copy as—>Citation". In the "Citation" section of the Accordance Preferences, select "Suppress Poetry".

You can also elect to hide superscripts and set a preferred font size (as well as other options) in the same section.

Edited by Mark Allison

Hi @Mark Allison,

I went to my settings and "suppress poetry" was already checked, but it was still poetic, so then I tried the "block" at the top which didn't fix it. It then occurred to me that maybe I needed to "copy as citation" as opposed to "suppress subscript." So I tried it and it sort of worked. By that I mean that "copy as citation" does in fact get rid of both the subscript and poetry... but in the process it adds a literal citation.

For the ESV it says "(Genesis 1:26–28 ESV)" and for one of my own translations it copies as "(Genesis 1:25–28 Translation Jan 22)"

So I have a few concerns.

First, concerning the published Bibles, is there a way to copy without poetry while ALSO not actually adding the citation? This is sort of important given why I am even copying it. If I am in class with a student and we are using the NIV or whatever and he has his copy, and I am reading in Accordance, I often want to copy a specific verse and modify it for him to compare. Since I am making changes I don't want to include "ESV" or "NIV" or whatever.

As a random example using the poetic text of Gen 1:27, I might copy it to get rid of the poetry and paste it as "So God created person in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” (Genesis 1:27 ESV)" Yet quite obviously that is no longer the ESV since I messed with it changing the ESV's "man" to my example of "person". I thus don't want to claim this is the ESV.

This is at least better, and now I can copy it without poetry, but I am really nervous that I am going to mess with it and then send it off to a student without remembering to delete the "ESV" or "NIV" at the end of whatever the base text had been.

A much smaller but secondary problem is that I see it is actually citing my own text also. I of course can just "copy" for my own text, but since I am in the habit of copying as "no subscript" when I am class I tend to just ALWAYS copy as no subscript, just since I am in the habit and it does not matter if I copy my text as no subscript. However, copying my text as "citation" will cause issues. So a second issue is that I now need to copy one way for published Bibles and a totally different way for my text, but the primary problem is citing a Bible I am messing with in class.

Is there another way to do this? Or if not, can I add it as a feature request?

Thanks,

Kristin

In your citation preferences, you can choose to remove the citation reference. Under "Location" select "No Reference." You'll still need to "Copy as Citation" to use your citation preferences, but you could always change your keyboard shortcut to use Cmd-C to "Copy as Citation" instead of simply copying.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 12.17.36 PM.png

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Mark Allison,

I am having an issue with the poetry and I hope there is a setting I can mess with to fix this. If not, I would like to add it as a feature.

If under Citation Reference I click "No Reference" that does get rid of the little "NIV" or whatever. HOWEVER, it also gets rid of the verse numbers.

I then figured that my best bet was to turn the citation on and then just delete NIV by hand if I was making edits, but my only options are to put the verses above or below the actual text.

This is a problem because I often send a student a block of text and analyze it. For example, I may send the student verses 34-40 and say something like, "could you re-read verse 36? Or "Do you see verse 38 or verse 39 as more significant for the passage?" or whatever. I just simply need the verse numbers.

Is there a way to send them text without poetry which includes the numbers? Skype just cannot handle the poetry and if I put anything poetic in Skype it turns into a mess.

I am aware I could turn poetry off in the system, but the problem is that I do need poetry on for my own personal study and research, and sending verses in class is not what I am primarily doing.

Thank you for any thoughts or ideas you have,

Kristin

Hey @Kristin, The screenshots that I have attached will hopefully help.

In the first one, #1 should get rid of poetic form for you by checking the box. #2 Should get rid of the "NIV" or whatever version you are using by keeping it unchecked. #3 gets you a dropdown that lets you keep the verse numbers in the copied text. I have pointed to the option that should keep the verses in the second screenshot.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 11.22.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 11.26.19 PM.png

Edited by Tim Hall
clarification
  • Like 1

Thank you very much, @Tim Hall. That fixed it. :) Thank you also for the pictures and arrows. That helped a lot. I had been nervous that the suppress poetry would suppress it for everything, but now I see there is a different section for suppressing the poetry in the text. Thank you again.

• Like 1

@Kristinglad to help!!

• Like 1