Ugarit Texts

Fabian

Hello 

Just to ask. Are the Ugarit texts which @Peter Brylov Christensen compiled still ongoing or has this been cancelled?

I haven't heard a long time of it. 

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am also curious if tagged Ugaritic is being expanded or continued.

There are now some Ugaritic letters at https://oracc.museum.upenn.edu/aemw/ugarit/corpus

A.D.

• Like 2

Moved this to module requests so we can track it. Continue to post sources of them and we can always look into it.

2 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

sources

Regarding sources, I’m thinking of the completion of the Texts of the Ugaritic Data Bank.

If I recall, Peter said, and your website for the tagged Ugaritic texts says the whole data bank will be completed. The last update was on 11/12/19. So, I’m wondering if the project is still ongoing, that is, can we still expect updates of “the transliterated text from the Cunchillos Ugaritic database . . . with full morphological tagging” . . . “until the database is completed”?

There has never been an talk about expanding beyond the data bank, although that would be great once it was done.

• Like 1

I can look into this and see what the status is on it.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

It’s been two months since you said you would look into it.

This isn’t a module request; it’s an unfinished release with no updates for over 4 ½ years.  Your site says, “further free updates will add more texts until the database is completed over a few years.” All I see in the table of contents is that UBD 1:1-50 is tagged; UBD 1.51-177 isn’t tagged. Also, UBD 2-9 isn’t tagged. If the project is dead, can we get a 90% refund?

Edited by Michel Gilbert
Had to reinsert the URL
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Michel Gilbert said:

It’s been two months since you said you would look into it.

This isn’t a module request; it’s an unfinished release with no updates for over 4 ½ years.  Your site says, “further free updates will add more texts until the database is completed over a few years.” All I see in the table of contents is that UBD 1:1-50 is tagged; UBD 1.51-177 isn’t tagged. Also, UBD 2-9 isn’t tagged. If the project is dead, can we get a 90% refund?

Exactly what I was going to write. This isn't a request. This a module that is currently offered and many of us bought which was supposed to be updated. 

If the project is stalled, that's not accordance's fault. But it's not our fault either. We paid for the full module in anticipation of its completion. 

• Like 4

Also interested in the continued development and expansion of Ugaritic resources.

A.D.

The person I sent it to was knee-deep in module projects. Let me send it over to my licensing manager to see if I can get an expedited answer.

Still no update?

Not yet let me try again and mark it urgent.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nathan, why are your urgent requests for information being ignored? I think it's time for someone at Accordance to come clean and let us know what is going on.

• Like 2

The only people left at Accordance who would have any idea about this are @David Lang and @Richard Perry

• Like 1

I attempted to reach out to Peter Christensen directly, but have yet to hear from him. I am potentially willing to assist with this project (depending on how I sort out other parts of my life and work).

A.D.

@Mark Allison Those are the two I sent it to, but I was having some Internet issues around that time. Let me try again and double-check to ensure it gets sent.

I still don't have fiber yet where I live (and haven't moved yet to a place with fiber), but my cable connection has been working pretty well since I've been back. I guess my ISP had a chance to do some maintenance while I wasn't consistently using the connection. :-)

I will be meeting with David Monday to discuss this and get an answer.

In the meantime, since I'm a bit of a newbie on Ugarit, can someone give me a brief rundown of what is still missing from what you purchased so I have that with me when I chat with David.

On 7/5/2024 at 4:52 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I will be meeting with David Monday to discuss this and get an answer.

Hi, Nathan. Did you get an answer on Monday?

• Like 1

I had to re-schedule this meeting with David for next Monday (I was dealing with Tornado Warnings in the state). We won't have any of those next Monday, so I can finally meet and get an answer to this one.

The Tagged Ugaritic texts are completely the work of @Peter Brylov Christensen. When I worked at Accordance, I would review his work for proper formatting and update the Accordance module, but the work was all his. This isn't a module that anyone at Accordance has ever had the technical expertise to develop. So @Dr. Nathan Parker, you need to find out whether or not Peter is still working on this project. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with @David Lang today. He is reviewing this forum thread to see what kind of information he can get on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, @Nathan Parker & @David Lang.

Couple of questions, if I may:

1. Can we move this thread back to a more relevant and appropriate location? It is not a module request but inquiring about promised completion of a module that customers have already paid for, but which Accordance seems to have abandoned.

2. I appreciate that David Lang has been asked to review this thread and look into this issue. Is David brand new to this issue or has he been involved in the completion of this module from the beginning? Is this something that Accordance staff simply forgot about? 

• Like 1

Where could I best move this? Maybe Original Languages?

This is the first David has had a chance to hear about this. As soon as he can find out additional updates, either he will let you know, or I will.

Original Languages is a better fit than Module Requests since this is a module that Accordance has already advertised and sold to people with promises to complete it. Is that where the original thread was placed before you moved it to Module Requests? I would also make it a sticky until these long-standing questions are resolved. Thank you.

• Like 1

• Dr. Nathan Parker pinned this topic

Done. I think it was in Feature Requests before, but not sure.

Thanks, Nathan.